Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

BEEP BEEP! POSITIVE CASE! SHUT THE BORDERS! LEVEL 15 LOCKDOWN! PLEASE KEEP A 50 METRE DISTANCE BETWEEN OTHERS!

All those states having to close their borders because NSW are too selfish to have a proper lockdown.

Lockdown should be one of the first things to do, not the last. If you leave it to last then it means lockdown will last for that much longer.

And not accepting criticism is just stupid.

Let's hope that the arrogance of the nsw government doesn't hurt the people in that state.

there should be a lockdown if it gets any worse.

How times have changed. I hope you are keeping safe in lockdown.

The SA state premier was asked about lockdown today and how many community cases we would need to ahve before we would go into lockdown, and I think his answer was sensible. He said its not a matter of numbers so much but what the exposure and risk to the community is. We have five cases, but it is all in once family who were all isolating because it was connected to the mine case, so there at this stage there is low risk of anyone else being infected. If more cases pop up, then things may be different. Especially if there is community cases who have been out and about in very busy places that may be hard to completely trace everyone (like malls).

One of the weirder restrictions I have heard. South Australians have been banned from singing in public this week. Maybe someone heard me singing and thought it best for everyone's health to ban that!
Singing in public was banned here. No singing at church. No choir practice. It‘s allowed again now. At the moment anyway.

Interesting they're expanding the list of check in sites. And thankfully the mandatory thing won't happen until July 9th. I wonder if the Government has been doing advertising on this issue? Because I mean it's one thing having to check into a cafe, but having to check in to a supermarket will affect a lot more people, especially the elderly population who more than likely don't have a smart phone.

I don't think anyone really knows what's going on.
My neighbour rang me yesterday to say she'd had a message from NSW Health (or whatever), saying she had been a close contact at the swimming pool she took her son to for swimming lessons a couple of days ago. She told me she was told to get tested, and isolate for 14 days. She got tested and had a negative result, then last night she sent me a copy of a text she received saying she wasn't a close contact. And that to monitor for symptoms.
It's all too confusing. You don't know what to believe if they can't even get that right. Who are you supposed to believe?

I don't think anyone really knows what's going on.
My neighbour rang me yesterday to say she'd had a message from NSW Health (or whatever), saying she had been a close contact at the swimming pool she took her son to for swimming lessons a couple of days ago. She told me she was told to get tested, and isolate for 14 days. She got tested and had a negative result, then last night she sent me a copy of a text she received saying she wasn't a close contact. And that to monitor for symptoms.
It's all too confusing. You don't know what to believe if they can't even get that right. Who are you supposed to believe?

Its very flippant this time. Once second you're a close contact, the next you're a casual contact, so all these people are roaming the streets with no real idea of where they sit.

I have to admit, I am very disappointed with this lockdown. I've been a big advocate for Gladys and her handling of the pandemic, but this time around something isn't right. I had to duck into my local Woolies and was so surprised that literally everything is still open? Newsagency, Tobacconist, Best & Less, those hearing check places, all cafes and restaurants, Kmart, health food stores, etc. Sorry, but what the fuck? To me, a lockdown is supermarkets, medical centre, servos and food shops doing takeaway only. Best & Less is NOT essential. The protein powder store is NOT essential. The newsagency is NOT essential. I mean, come the fuck on. Gladys gets up during the press conference and says that Sydney needs to try harder blah blah, which is fair, but the rules aren't being enforced. You know how you get people to stay at home? Close the shops. If Kmart is closed, then people can't go. If the bloke selling iphone covers at the little kiosk is closed, people can't go. If Officeworks is closed, people can't go.

I was so bloody aggravated walking through the shops yesterday. I believe lockdown should be a last resort. So if you mandate a lockdown, then do it fucking properly. Not this hybrid, bullshit we have happening now. Its a joke, and probably why cases aren't dropping like you would expect in a lockdown.

Ok sorry, rant over.

It is? I thought essential just meant food, water and medical stuff.

From my extensive time in lockdowns, that stuff is essential and under the umbrella of what they call essentual.

Didn't Scomo say early on in lockdowns last year that buying puzzles was essential?

eyeroll Judge Judy - Alliance For Justice Action Campaign
Apparently Australia is the world champ at loo roll panic buying
Japan is no.2

At its peak we only had serviettes from $2 shops....no loo paper anywhere, who knew general population is this dumb?
Isn’t food more essential.....they were panic buying lots of stuff tho
But at least it is harmless
USA panic buying is focused on guns

Its very flippant this time. Once second you're a close contact, the next you're a casual contact, so all these people are roaming the streets with no real idea of where they sit.

I have to admit, I am very disappointed with this lockdown. I've been a big advocate for Gladys and her handling of the pandemic, but this time around something isn't right. I had to duck into my local Woolies and was so surprised that literally everything is still open? Newsagency, Tobacconist, Best & Less, those hearing check places, all cafes and restaurants, Kmart, health food stores, etc. Sorry, but what the fuck? To me, a lockdown is supermarkets, medical centre, servos and food shops doing takeaway only. Best & Less is NOT essential. The protein powder store is NOT essential. The newsagency is NOT essential. I mean, come the fuck on. Gladys gets up during the press conference and says that Sydney needs to try harder blah blah, which is fair, but the rules aren't being enforced. You know how you get people to stay at home? Close the shops. If Kmart is closed, then people can't go. If the bloke selling iphone covers at the little kiosk is closed, people can't go. If Officeworks is closed, people can't go.

I was so bloody aggravated walking through the shops yesterday. I believe lockdown should be a last resort. So if you mandate a lockdown, then do it fucking properly. Not this hybrid, bullshit we have happening now. Its a joke, and probably why cases aren't dropping like you would expect in a lockdown.

Ok sorry, rant over.
So all those other shops are open still? That's nuts.

Ok sorry, rant over.
Me too, mostly. For one thing I don't think she's hard enough or decisive enough about mask wearing or maybe it's just people aren't listening? In Vic it's no mask, no entry (with exceptions for those who have valid reasons). Mask wearing is annoying but it's a small price to pay for most people.

The Vic QR code thing gets me. As of midnight last night ALL workplaces had to be registered and insist all staff and customers or clients check-in...there are few exceptions with Doctor's surgeries being one of them. Apparently this is because of confidentiality and the fact that people have appointments so there is a record of where they were if contact tracing etc was required. BUT accountancy practices are not exempt although confidentiality and appointments are paramount for them too.

I'm not against QR codes and I think they make sense for businesses where there is a lot of traffic that could be in close contact such as supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, shopping centres etc and for large workplaces where staff may not have set working hours but for small businesses who know who was where at any given time it's really quite silly and pointless.

From my extensive time in lockdowns, that stuff is essential and under the umbrella of what they call essentual.

Didn't Scomo say early on in lockdowns last year that buying puzzles was essential?
Do people really have nothing they can find to do at home that they need to run to a shop during a lockdown to buy a puzzle? Windows apps have plenty of puzzle apps.

Apparently Australia is the world champ at loo roll panic buying
Japan is no.2

At its peak we only had serviettes from $2 shops....no loo paper anywhere, who knew general population is this dumb?
Isn’t food more essential.....they were panic buying lots of stuff tho
But at least it is harmless
USA panic buying is focused on guns

It's fascinating the psychology of scarcity. Where the very fact someone may miss out, creates an irrational desire to go and get something you don't currently need.

Being generous, I can somewhat excuse people panic buying initially with the first lockdown. It was stupid, but it was something new. What I don't get is the panic buying for later lockdowns. The takeaway from the first was that you don't need to hoard. This isn't that kind of pandemic. Yet people still do. It's interesting but also sad.

I still get a chuckly remembering walking around my local Coles. The meat section stripped bare, except for the fake meat section fully stocked.

I did go straight to buying loo paper at the beginning of the last lockdown tho
The serviettes last time were bad
Clever Coles had towers of home brand packs of 24 rolls all ready $8.50 bargain
And....still have plenty left

Back