Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

This whole situation is pretty appalling on the State Government. Cases still going up, but no one is doing anything about the hundreds of people roaming around Bondi Beach and all the local Westfields buying 'essentials' ..? Some people obviously don't know what stay home means. I'm pretty pissed off with this whole situation and expect to see Gladys' popularity to take a massive hit.
I've always been a Gladys fan but her reluctance to introduce a lockdown when first needed and then her subsequent refusal to use the word initially wasn't helpful imo. Her words didn't send a clear message to people about the five reasons to leave home...she was 'too nice' about it all and not forceful enough.

But I hope all you NSW people are doing ok and an end to all this is not far away.

This whole situation is pretty appalling on the State Government. Cases still going up, but no one is doing anything about the hundreds of people roaming around Bondi Beach and all the local Westfields buying 'essentials' ..? Some people obviously don't know what stay home means. I'm pretty pissed off with this whole situation and expect to see Gladys' popularity to take a massive hit.

If you want to be serious about this lockdown and really want to try and hopefully slow the transmission rates maybe face masks should also be mandatory for all outdoor activity also. They say that this delta strain is highly infectious then I would think a mask mandate for both indoors and outdoors should be applied right now. I know we did have police that were patrolling some of the beaches here in Melbourne to try and deter many gatherings at the beaches during the Melbourne lockdowns. I also do remember there was many security guards and also police patrols at the shopping centres during our lockdowns.

I've always been a Gladys fan but her reluctance to introduce a lockdown when first needed and then her subsequent refusal to use the word initially wasn't helpful imo. Her words didn't send a clear message to people about the five reasons to leave home...she was 'too nice' about it all and not forceful enough.

But I hope all you NSW people are doing ok and an end to all this is not far away.

100% agree. I understand why she held out as long as possible to lockdown (a lockdown costs the NSW economy $1Billion a week), but I think most of Sydney knew it was coming about 5 days before it was announced. We should have just gone hard early. 2 weeks, very strict lockdown,no leaving home unless essential, close everything non essential. We'd basically be back to normal now.

It is so frustrating how poorly this is being handled by Gladys. I think she's worried her reputation will take a hit if she's heavy handed. Unfortunately she will struggle to bounce back from this one I think.

If you want to be serious about this lockdown and really want to try and hopefully slow the transmission rates maybe face masks should also be mandatory for all outdoor activity also. They say that this delta strain is highly infectious then I would think a mask mandate for both indoors and outdoors should be applied right now. I know we did have police that were patrolling some of the beaches here in Melbourne to try and deter many gatherings at the beaches during the Melbourne lockdowns. I also do remember there was many security guards and also police patrols at the shopping centres during our lockdowns.

Very interesting point. Whilst not required by the health orders, most people I see are pretty much wearing masks whenever they leave the house, both indoors and outdoors. Its much easier to be honest. This is of course not applied to those in Bondi who seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

Funny you mention patrols. From 7am today NSW police have 200 officers patrolling the South West of Sydney to ensure compliance with the health orders. This is now causing an uproar from the locals who believe it is 'racist' (area is home to a large population of ethnic groups).

To say this is a cluster fuck is an understatement.

It is so frustrating how poorly this is being handled by Gladys. I think she's worried her reputation will take a hit if she's heavy handed. Unfortunately she will struggle to bounce back from this one I think.

As I said a couple of weeks ago.
They're currently gambling with the outcome of the little lockdown. That isn't calm or clever. It's incredibly risky.

The situation they're in now was entirely preventable if they'd gone harder. Yet it had to be a pissing contest about not want Victoria style lockdowns.

It will be interesting to see how they navigate their way out of it. Will this just be a drawn-out lockdown, with case numbers bubbling along at these levels until they dwindle? Or has the gamble gone really bad and will cases skyrocket. You hear rumblings there is great concern the actual number of cases is much higher, but that could be bullshit. Or just practical fears.

I don't think her reputation will take a hit, people are too tribal on this stuff. The pandemic has been going on too long, tribal people are locked in their camps.

Gladys will have just done the best she could have. It's the delta variants spreading which is at fault. They'll ignore whatever difference having vaccinated people in retirement homes and some in the community has.

Also interesting, Gladys took a shot at the Feds today, blaming the slow vaccine rollout as the reason why the virus is spreading so rapidly. It appears Gladys is joining the other states in publicly expressing her disappointment at the Feds. Her relationship with Scomo appears to be getting frosty.

New restrictions for us too. Must remain with 10km of home, outdoor gatherings for exercise in groups of 2. Funerals back to 10 people only.

Well, perhaps the death of the woman in her 90s and a further 77 cases today, might make some people wake up and grasp the seriousness of the situation.

I thought it was already. So I am not surprised.
Based on the warnings to come home over the past few days it had already been decided, but given the number of crossings the logistics must take a while to organise. Plus today’s the last day of school holidays.

Rudd was the last good PM we had. Someone who had vision and looked to the future. We'd almost certainly not be in this shit situation if he was PM during this pandemic. There has not been 1 forward-thinking policy since the Liberals won office.

The Libs were against the NBN and did their best to sabotage that. Yet how much worse off would we have been as a country during the pandemic without it? How much better and what could have been achieved if the original NBN was rolled out?

Reactions: kxk
Last edited:
Back