Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Its very flippant this time. Once second you're a close contact, the next you're a casual contact, so all these people are roaming the streets with no real idea of where they sit.

I have to admit, I am very disappointed with this lockdown. I've been a big advocate for Gladys and her handling of the pandemic, but this time around something isn't right. I had to duck into my local Woolies and was so surprised that literally everything is still open? Newsagency, Tobacconist, Best & Less, those hearing check places, all cafes and restaurants, Kmart, health food stores, etc. Sorry, but what the fuck? To me, a lockdown is supermarkets, medical centre, servos and food shops doing takeaway only. Best & Less is NOT essential. The protein powder store is NOT essential. The newsagency is NOT essential. I mean, come the fuck on. Gladys gets up during the press conference and says that Sydney needs to try harder blah blah, which is fair, but the rules aren't being enforced. You know how you get people to stay at home? Close the shops. If Kmart is closed, then people can't go. If the bloke selling iphone covers at the little kiosk is closed, people can't go. If Officeworks is closed, people can't go.

I was so bloody aggravated walking through the shops yesterday. I believe lockdown should be a last resort. So if you mandate a lockdown, then do it fucking properly. Not this hybrid, bullshit we have happening now. Its a joke, and probably why cases aren't dropping like you would expect in a lockdown.

Ok sorry, rant over.

Ha you remind me of some of the things I was saying way back before Melbourne went into full lockdown I was saying stuff like "shut the bastards down" when referring to places like Bunnings etc...lol. Then about a week later the Victorian government actually did shut the bastards down! lol. I was only saying this as I do recall the lines of cars going in and out of Bunnings when I was going to my local supermarket shopping for essentials thinking how can they be serious about a lockdown around here...lol. Yes do it properly or don't do it at all. You want to limit people's movements shut the damn things down that's for sure!

Yes here in Melbourne during our last proper lockdown the only things that were open were just supermarkets, servo's, chemists, banks, post office's and also newsagents were also still open. Restaurants were all take away only during lockdown.

On the Gold Coast jb hi fi was open. In no way is that an essential service.

Why don't they do what they did here during our last snap lockdown in Melbourne. All retailers went into "click and collect" only. So you have to purchase whatever you need online and then you can just go collect it from the store. I guess it keeps the stores selling stuff during a lockdown and you can still buy what you need, it's just that you can't walk into the retail store and browse like before.

I needed some power steering fluid for my car and I couldn't wait until the lockdown was over so I purchased it through click and collect at my local "Super Cheap Auto" store and my order was ready to be picked up in about 2 minutes via a SMS message from the time I ordered it online! It was actually quicker this way than actually going to the store and getting it manually! LOL!

Me too, mostly. For one thing I don't think she's hard enough or decisive enough about mask wearing or maybe it's just people aren't listening? In Vic it's no mask, no entry (with exceptions for those who have valid reasons). Mask wearing is annoying but it's a small price to pay for most people.

I watched her speak on the news channel before the lockdown and I also think she didn't drum it in people's heads properly how important a mask is where a virus is mainly transmitted through tiny droplets in the air. She was saying stuff like oh a face mask is only the 4th layer of protection or some crap and that you can still get and also transmit this virus while wearing a face mask. When I heard this I was actually thinking yep great make people in NSW think masks don't even work properly then people won't treat them seriously!

All I can say is good luck and I hope all these clusters get contained as soon as possible! Always wear a face mask at all times when out and about, protect and look after yourself.

Stay safe and all the best!

Why don't they do what they did here during our last snap lockdown in Melbourne. All retailers went into "click and collect" only. So you have to purchase whatever you need online and then you can just go collect it from the store. I guess it keeps the stores selling stuff during a lockdown and you can still buy what you need, it's just that you can't walk into the retail store and browse like before.

I needed some power steering fluid for my car and I couldn't wait until the lockdown was over so I purchased it through click and collect at my local "Super Cheap Auto" store and my order was ready to be picked up in about 2 minutes via a SMS message from the time I ordered it online! It was actually quicker this way than actually going to the store and getting it manually! LOL!
Myers was doing click and collect.

This video explains vaccine efficacy numbers in a really thoughtful but easy to understand way. Made me think of it in ways I hadn't before.

Ha you remind me of some of the things I was saying way back before Melbourne went into full lockdown I was saying stuff like "shut the bastards down" when referring to places like Bunnings etc...lol. Then about a week later the Victorian government actually did shut the bastards down! lol. I was only saying this as I do recall the lines of cars going in and out of Bunnings when I was going to my local supermarket shopping for essentials thinking how can they be serious about a lockdown around here...lol. Yes do it properly or don't do it at all. You want to limit people's movements shut the damn things down that's for sure!

Yes here in Melbourne during our last proper lockdown the only things that were open were just supermarkets, servo's, chemists, banks, post office's and also newsagents were also still open. Restaurants were all take away only during lockdown.

Apparently the excuse is that 'The Government doesn't stipulate what businesses are essential' it's up to the business to decide. Well, if I'm a florist with rent and bills to pay, of course I'm going to think I'm essential, even though 99% of the rest of us disagree.

Then again, they've told all gyms, hair dressers and nail salons to close, so I guess they do decide what is essential when it suits them? Very mixed messages this time round..

Hairdressers would have very close contact between people. Impossible to socially distance.
No, I've always disagreed with this. Clients face a mirror, we don't face each other. Masks on. We might be close, but never once in the first lockdown when we were allowed to work did I ever feel I was too close to a client. Joggers swoop past you spreading more germs.

No, I've always disagreed with this. Clients face a mirror, we don't face each other. Masks on. We might be close, but never once in the first lockdown when we were allowed to work did I ever feel I was too close to a client. Joggers swoop past you spreading more germs.
Interesting

Interesting - because my impression would be that joggers are surely encased in huge turbulence and so any particle of air in their vicinity is travelling very fast and quite randomly and dissipates very quickly (as per dispersion modelling of other emissions) - but air with people sitting in close proximity would surely kinda pool around that area and circulate much less.

(not a medical person though)

Interesting - because my impression would be that joggers are surely encased in huge turbulence and so any particle of air in their vicinity is travelling very fast and quite randomly and dissipates very quickly (as per dispersion modelling of other emissions) - but air with people sitting in close proximity would surely kinda pool around that area and circulate much less.

I get where you're coming from, but, everyone's become a jogger in these lockdowns. They don't run around you, they seem to think they own the footpath and run straight at you, puffing and panting and sweating. It's really annoying when pedestrians do go out of their way to give other pedestrians a wide birth, but the joggers are all about themselves. AND especially with this Delta variant. You can catch it if someone just breathes beside you. 😧
At least in the salon with a good distance between each client and all masked up you actually feel quite safe.

Last edited:

This is my understanding. Aerosol particles from your breath linger in the air. The more you breathe out, the more virus is floating in the air, the greater the chances of infecting someone. This is why outdoors, with airflow is very low risk to none. Even some talk that direct sunlight most likely kills the virus when floating in the air.

The concern with Delta was that it was transmissible in these previously considered safe / low-risk scenarios. Although I don't know if that has actually been determined.

I get where you're coming from, but, everyone's become a jogger in these lockdowns. They don't run around you, they seem to think they own the footpath and run straight at you, puffing and panting and sweating. It's really annoying when pedestrians do go out of their way to give other pedestrians a wide birth, but the joggers are all about themselves. AND especially with this Delta variant. You can catch it if someone just breathes beside you. 😧
At least in the salon with a good distance between each client and all masked up you actually feel quite safe.

I don't think it has been determined if you can catch Delta-like that. I suspect Mooseface is more correct about the turbulence from running would dissipate any virus quickly. I think the fleeting transmission is still just a theory in trying to link cases. Or it is still very low risk.

As someone who runs regularly, pedestrians who don't understand shared bike/ running paths are the issue. I don't seem to have seen an increase in runners/ joggers though.

As soon as there's a lockdown, the track by the river where I run is full of people meandering, not understanding what the line in the middle of the track means or what arrows represent.

Why do groups of people stop on the track, across both lanes to have a chat? When they could step a few feet to the side and be on grass? People who walk across both lines. It's frustrating as hell to be in a nice run, got a good pace and selfish people with no consideration for anyone else using the paths are blocking the natural flow.

It really was fascinating to see the second a lockdown is announced, people incapable of knowing what to do pouring out onto the tracks. Then the second an end to lockdownis announced, they disappear. Even when the lockdowns aren't over yet.

Last year, first long lockdown. Suddenly people everywhere. Bins along the river overflowing with empty coffee cups. They announce when lockdown will end. The river is empty. Despite lockdown still on. It repeated exactly the same for our second long lockdown.

At least all the people who bought bikes when we had the first lockdown last year have seemingly given up on them. People unable to ride in a straight line, doing the bare minimum, constantly avoiding hitting into people because they can't balance.

My partner went for a walk today and said it was like a busy Sunday out there. People just are not staying at home.

This is my understanding. Aerosol particles from your breath linger in the air. The more you breathe out, the more virus is floating in the air, the greater the chances of infecting someone. This is why outdoors, with airflow is very low risk to none. Even some talk that direct sunlight most likely kills the virus when floating in the air.

The concern with Delta was that it was transmissible in these previously considered safe / low-risk scenarios. Although I don't know if that has actually been determined.

I don't think it has been determined if you can catch Delta-like that. I suspect Mooseface is more correct about the turbulence from running would dissipate any virus quickly. I think the fleeting transmission is still just a theory in trying to link cases. Or it is still very low risk.

As someone who runs regularly, pedestrians who don't understand shared bike/ running paths are the issue. I don't seem to have seen an increase in runners/ joggers though.

As soon as there's a lockdown, the track by the river where I run is full of people meandering, not understanding what the line in the middle of the track means or what arrows represent.

Why do groups of people stop on the track, across both lanes to have a chat? When they could step a few feet to the side and be on grass? People who walk across both lines. It's frustrating as hell to be in a nice run, got a good pace and selfish people with no consideration for anyone else using the paths are blocking the natural flow.

It really was fascinating to see the second a lockdown is announced, people incapable of knowing what to do pouring out onto the tracks. Then the second an end to lockdownis announced, they disappear. Even when the lockdowns aren't over yet.

Last year, first long lockdown. Suddenly people everywhere. Bins along the river overflowing with empty coffee cups. They announce when lockdown will end. The river is empty. Despite lockdown still on. It repeated exactly the same for our second long lockdown.

At least all the people who bought bikes when we had the first lockdown last year have seemingly given up on them. People unable to ride in a straight line, doing the bare minimum, constantly avoiding hitting into people because they can't balance.
And the velocity of emission is important. The higher the velocity of emission is, the better it disperses. Which actually makes me prefer fleeting contact with joggers and high exit velocity and much turbulence to more prolonged contact in a hair salon with low exit velocity.
I‘d like to see the modelling data.

This whole situation is pretty appalling on the State Government. Cases still going up, but no one is doing anything about the hundreds of people roaming around Bondi Beach and all the local Westfields buying 'essentials' ..? Some people obviously don't know what stay home means. I'm pretty pissed off with this whole situation and expect to see Gladys' popularity to take a massive hit.

Reactions: kxk
Got my 2nd jab yesterday, nice to now feel somewhat safer
No side effects at all

Sorry for NSW, but a LOLing at Gladys....being hoisted by her own petard
Her patronising vic and everyone, her boasting she /NSW are so perfect and we all suck
She has what she deserves, everyone in her state ignoring her and rules

Stay safe NSW....your leader sucks almost as much as scumo

Back