Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Ruby Princess was definitely handled poorly, but that was in the early days of the pandemic. Not that it is an excuse, but put simply, if the situation was to arise again, it would definitely be handled better now that we know more. Slightly disingenuous to use that as ammunition to fuel your weak argument in relation to current events.
I’m still angry how appalling it was handled. Just letting all those passengers walk off the ship. Even in the early days of the pandemic it was painfully obvious the passengers should have been quarantined. Something should have been done. That’s on NSW.

But, rj you are being far too measured.
glADyS is rIGhT WInG sO EVERYthINg shE DoeS iS bAd and EViLLLllL!

/s
If more than anything it’s the state government’s arrogance I have the problem with. Hopefully it won’t be their downfall and they can keep their “gold standard”.

I’m still angry how appalling it was handled. Just letting all those passengers walk off the ship. Even in the early days of the pandemic it was painfully obvious the passengers should have been quarantined. Something should have been done. That’s on NSW.

I agree, but let's put things into perspective. The first case of COVID in Australia was 25th January, 2020. The first serious COVID outbreak in Australia was 3rd March 2020 with 11 new cases. Arguably, the realisation of the seriousness of COVID was on or around this time. The Ruby Princess docked in Sydney on 19th March, 2020. Did any of us truly realise the severity of COVID? No one could have predicted what was going to happen.

Did NSW Health fuck up by not quarantining those people? Yes, 100%. They were completely negligent and should hang their heads in shame.

However, I don't believe we can use it as an example in context of today's situation to criticise NSW. 2 weeks into a pandemic that no one knew anything about, slightly understandable, but not excusable at all. If the Ruby Princess situation occurred today, then NSW should be burnt at the stake. Realistically, every state has failed in one way or another in handling the pandemic.

Can I possibly ask what state you live in? Melbourne recently had an outbreak (from SA mind you), and I don't recall seeing you criticising the Victorian Government and bringing their past failures to light. Did I miss you venting your frustrations about Victoria, or do you only reserve your condemnation for NSW?

I agree, but let's put things into perspective. The first case of COVID in Australia was 25th January, 2020. The first serious COVID outbreak in Australia was 3rd March 2020 with 11 new cases. Arguably, the realisation of the seriousness of COVID was on or around this time. The Ruby Princess docked in Sydney on 19th March, 2020. Did any of us truly realise the severity of COVID? No one could have predicted what was going to happen.

Did NSW Health fuck up by not quarantining those people? Yes, 100%. They were completely negligent and should hang their heads in shame.

However, I don't believe we can use it as an example in context of today's situation to criticise NSW. 2 weeks into a pandemic that no one knew anything about, slightly understandable, but not excusable at all. If the Ruby Princess situation occurred today, then NSW should be burnt at the stake. Realistically, every state has failed in one way or another in handling the pandemic.

Can I possibly ask what state you live in? Melbourne recently had an outbreak (from SA mind you), and I don't recall seeing you criticising the Victorian Government and bringing their past failures to light. Did I miss you venting your frustrations about Victoria, or do you only reserve your condemnation for NSW?

He’s from Melbourne. Much like up_all_night, they only save their condemnation for LNP run states. Lol 😂

You’re right I only reserve my condemnation for NSW.

Meh. Agree to disagree. I don’t like the NSW government for many reasons.

Fair enough, but it's not really a case of 'agree to disagree' with you sometimes. You make very generalist statements, and when I respond to you with measured and factual comments, you chose to ignore them or will respond to some parts that suit the narrative you're pushing. This same situation occurred a few weeks ago with the Columbo debacle.

I'm not here to change your mind or push an agenda. I see this forum as a place for healthy discussion and debate, but the close mindedness of some is quite frustrating.

Regardless, I still respect your opinion.

Fair enough, but it's not really a case of 'agree to disagree' with you sometimes. You make very generalist statements, and when I respond to you with measured and factual comments, you chose to ignore them or will respond to some parts that suit the narrative you're pushing. This same situation occurred a few weeks ago with the Columbo debacle.

I'm not here to change your mind or push an agenda. I see this forum as a place for healthy discussion and debate, but the close mindedness of some is quite frustrating.

Regardless, I still respect your opinion.
I don’t feel the need to respond when you make valid points or a fair statement hence why I usually quote the parts of your post I don’t agree with.

All those states having to close their borders because NSW are too selfish to have a proper lockdown.

Stop piggybacking off It's Not's comments.

Also, Victoria went into lock down and other states still closed their borders to them, therefore, your point is invalid and uninformed as per usual.

Stop piggybacking off It's Not's comments.

Also, Victoria went into lock down and other states still closed their borders to them, therefore, your point is invalid and uninformed as per usual.

That's because Victoria waited far too long to take any proper action and made it far worse than it should have been.

And I'll piggyback on comments I find truthful like from Mr it's not.

All those states having to close their borders because NSW are too selfish to have a proper lockdown.

Disagree.

States would close their borders regardless of a proper lockdown. Example: all the states when Victoria went into lockdown.

Back