Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

My criticism is that international air crew should not be transported by private transport, limousine services, whatever it was. I don't know what the rules are but it shouldn't have happened in my opinion.

I was thinking about transport from airport today. The regulations for travelling from Vic to SA is that you have to isolate until you get a test and then you are free to move about the state. But unless you are renting your own vehicle how do you isolate? what if renting a vehicle isn't an option? How exactly do you isolate until you test? Is there testing at the airport?

My criticism is that international air crew should not be transported by private transport, limousine services, whatever it was. I don't know what the rules are but it shouldn't have happened in my opinion.

They should consider not even let the air crew enter Australia.
Fly with 2 crews, one operates the inbound and one operates the outbound flight. It's very common for many airlines that don't want the cost of accomodating their crews on layovers.

I was thinking about transport from airport today. The regulations for travelling from Vic to SA is that you have to isolate until you get a test and then you are free to move about the state. But unless you are renting your own vehicle how do you isolate? what if renting a vehicle isn't an option? How exactly do you isolate until you test? Is there testing at the airport?
Maybe it's a regulation to try and deter people from travelling and not something properly enforced? I might be wrong but was it WA that once required some domestic travellers to hotel quarantine? I could see people willing to do that for a longterm overseas move but I don't think there's many people who would do that for interstate travel.

Maybe it's a regulation to try and deter people from travelling rather than something properly enforced? I might be wrong but was it WA that once required some domestic travellers to hotel quarantine? I could see people willing to do that for a longterm overseas move but I don't think there's many people who would do that for interstate travel.
It would be pointless unless you were planning to move to a different state

They should consider not even let the air crew enter Australia.
Fly with 2 crews, one operates the inbound and one operates the outbound flight. It's very common for many airlines that don't want the cost of accomodating their crews on layovers.
How would that work inbound? They wouldn't leave the airport?

How would that work inbound? They wouldn't leave the airport?
Yep, fly in with one crew operating, one crew resting.
When they land, they leave the plane (stay in the airport) while it gets cleaned and catered, then they come back on and swap crews.
A lot of low cost airlines do this so they don't have to spend money accomodating crew in hotels, paying overnight allowances, etc.

If anything, the greatest lesson I have gleaned from this pandemic has been less about respective state governance but more the inability of considerable members of the public to follow simple instructions or even look at a wider perspective outside their own and do the right thing.
So much tunnel vision and bemoan me attitudes. Gives a quite frightening aperture of how fit a society we actually are in a time of crisis.
I just hope we all learn from this as horrible as it has been and look beyond our own personal backyards before playing the woe is me card.
Political football and partisan snipes have really no place. Criticism is valid. Everyone, the world over , has made mistakes. Its how we learn from them and each other which is the imperative to help us grow and combat and join together.

If anything, the greatest lesson I have gleaned from this pandemic has been less about respective state governance but more the inability of considerable members of the public to follow simple instructions or even look at a wider perspective outside their own and do the right thing.
So much tunnel vision and bemoan me attitudes. Gives a quite frightening aperture of how fit a society we actually are in a time of crisis.
I just hope we all learn from this as horrible as it has been and look beyond our own personal backyards before playing the woe is me card.
Political football and partisan snipes have really no place. Criticism is valid. Everyone, the world over , has made mistakes. Its how we learn from them and each other which is the imperative to help us grow and combat and join together.
I like your very responsible take on this. I think many of us including myself have been a bit bitchy.

I think this is what made me think the above re the airport question. I am concerned that my bosses will want me to travel to melbourne in the next couple of weeks as the had planned before this went down, and still seem intent on holding a team training in early July. If I was to fly to Melbourne I would have to isolate when I come back until I get tested. I don't drive so I don't know how I would get to a testing station, or where I would go to isolate as normally have to fly outside of work hours,so I am not sure testing stations are open at 10pm on a friday night. The other thing is because I have come from interstate depending on where I try to go in Melbourne I may not even get in, as they ask if you have been interstate, and refuse entry (well they do in SA). Also I dont feel safe flying at this point in time.

I think this is what made me think the above re the airport question. I am concerned that my bosses will want me to travel to melbourne in the next couple of weeks as the had planned before this went down, and still seem intent on holding a team training in early July. If I was to fly to Melbourne I would have to isolate when I come back until I get tested. I don't drive so I don't know how I would get to a testing station, or where I would go to isolate as normally have to fly outside of work hours,so I am not sure testing stations are open at 10pm on a friday night. The other thing is because I have come from interstate depending on where I try to go in Melbourne I may not even get in, as they ask if you have been interstate, and refuse entry (well they do in SA). Also I dont feel safe flying at this point in time.
Yeah Iss. I feel your situation. I have several acquaintences who work out of vic but for a nsw company in a sales capacity. During our lockdown, one of my acquaintences was told she had to keep her sales figures up blatantly ignoring the lockdown restrictions imposed. Interestingly, she now reports as of today, the sydney office was granting exemptions to those in nsw regarding their sales targets. I only mention this as to broaden the post I made earlier. Personal selfishness and tunnel vision can extend to business and further having an impact.
Its a constant moving feast iss. Just detail your concerns to your employer as the time comes. We are all in such a state of flux. Hope it works out for the best for you.

Yeah Iss. I feel your situation. I have several acquaintences who work out of vic but for a nsw company in a sales capacity. During our lockdown, one of my acquaintences was told she had to keep her sales figures up blatantly ignoring the lockdown restrictions imposed. Interestingly, she now reports as of today, the sydney office was granting exemptions to those in nsw regarding their sales targets. I only mention this as to broaden the post I made earlier. Personal selfishness and tunnel vision can extend to business and further having an impact.
Its a constant moving feast iss. Just detail your concerns to your employer as the time comes. We are all in such a state of flux. Hope it works out for the best for you.
Its just so strange as these kinds of things are risks to them as organisations as well as people individually. If I got covid on the way to Melbourne, then bought it into the office I could potentially infect all my collegues, managers etc. I have been working from home for five years, with just visits to melboure pre covid. I haven't been to the office in 18 months, so there is obviously no real need for me to travel there. I understand that for some jobs and some work that there is a need to travel, but if there isn't then these are the types of things this pandemic should be making us all think differently about as a society. Yes I miss seeing my friends face to face, but that is not a good enough reason for me to go there.

Its just so strange as these kinds of things are risks to them as organisations as well as people individually. If I got covid on the way to Melbourne, then bought it into the office I could potentially infect all my collegues, managers etc. I have been working from home for five years, with just visits to melboure pre covid. I haven't been to the office in 18 months, so there is obviously no real need for me to travel there. I understand that for some jobs and some work that there is a need to travel, but if there isn't then these are the types of things this pandemic should be making us all think differently about as a society. Yes I miss seeing my friends face to face, but that is not a good enough reason for me to go there.
Personal blinkers extend to business seamlessly. I maybe well pessimistic but I have seen over the last 18 months a gross non-empathy of people viewing others in personal situations as well as business ones and the myopic desires of some business owners. It is a natural tendancy to protect ones own interests but the bigger picture dictates and ensures in fact we have to have a broader view to trust each other to do the right thing to combat the pandemic. One weak link etc etc.
In decades ahead, i hope serious sociological study will be done all over the globe to chart and measure the responses of all on a personal business and even nationalistic level to perhaps gauge how fit we all are as a functioning modern society and then improve upon it as a result.

"Now, surely New South Wales should perhaps try this approach to get some of the money that they're owed by Queensland. $40 million that they paid for all the Queenslanders to come through Sydney hotel quarantine." - Peta Credlin

"Surely New South Wales should perhaps try this approach to get some of the money that they're owed by Queensland. $40 million that they paid for all the Queenslanders to come through Sydney hotel quarantine." - Peta Credlin

Peta discredlin is a stupid head

Back