Skip to main content

Ben Zabel recovering from overdose - Support for him

With all this in mind, I would greatly appreciate it if people refrained even in jest from suggesting other posters who support rival housemates should in any way, shape, or form, take their own lives.

The daily thread last night got really ugly, in this area. I'm sure no-one meant any harm. But it was upsetting to read.

I've never been a fan of Ben, but having a family member who suffers from depression and anxiety disorder, my thoughts are with him and I hope he can get through this.

My partner suffers from it, and as a partner to someone who has it, it can get very difficult. I find it very hard to grasp why he feels that way (he cant explain it either), and how to approach it. Do I say I am there if he needs to talk? Do I give him some space? There is no right or wrong way...Hardest part for me was not knowing he had it, but once I found out, his random actions leading up to it ticked every box and the lightbulb turned on.

He is not suicidal, but my stomach churns every time the phone rings....If we go out in public, I watch him like a hawk for any signs of anxiety or discomfort in his surroundings....If we are at home and he has a drink, I tiptoe around him to make sure it's only one or two....

It's not easy for the partners or loved ones, and sometimes we need some support too... Thankfully things are good at the moment and stable, but it's ALWAYS in the back of my mind.

My heart goes out to all of you that are affected in some way, shape or form. It is not easy, just one foot in front of the other... xx

Probably doesn't help with the little fella in certain threads, in the mickey mouse boxer briefs being completely vile to Ben all the time. Tolerance young fella, was more a Donald Duck fan anyway. Remember Ben, one bad day...three good days.

Thankfully things are good at the moment and stable, but it's ALWAYS in the back of my mind.

Your partner is very lucky to have you. As for it always being in the back of your mind...I can relate, and that's a good mindset to have. It guides me in terms of making sure I take care of myself, don't drink too often, only let people into my life who enhance it & bring out the best in me, keep work in its rightful place etc I find that when I pretend it's not there or forget about it that the wheels come off.

I am sending my love and support to Ben! He's an incredible guy who has a whole world ahead of him, just goes to show what some of you assumed - Ben wasn't and isn't in it for fame and popularity. Hopefully Ben can get the support and love he needs and he's surrounded by positive people who can help get him through this.

I have always been an avid supporter of Benny, even when I was almost the only person left on here defending him last year. He has had a horrid time on SM from the haters and I could never understand the vendetta against him. I thought he was handling it well but it has clearly eaten away at him.

I just hope some people can learn to REFRAIN from propagating vicious rumours about current HM's... People they don't even know and feel so at ease being vindictive towards on their OWN SM sites.

The fkn hypocrisy makes me sick.

I have always been an avid supporter of Benny, even when I was almost the only person left on here defending him last year. He has had a horrid time on SM from the haters and I could never understand the vendetta against him. I thought he was handling it well but it has clearly eaten away at him.

I just hope some people can learn to REFRAIN from propagating vicious rumours about current HM's... People they don't even know and feel so at ease being vindictive towards on their OWN SM sites.

The fkn hypocrisy makes me sick.
I'm currently half way through watching bb13 and I'm wondering why there is so much hate for him on this forum. Please excuse my ignorance, I tried to find old comments about Ben but I can't find any. Do people hate him because he was seen as being self absorbed?...I'm not sure why there is so much hate and I'm a little confused!

I'm currently half way through watching bb13 and I'm wondering why there is so much hate for him on this forum. Please excuse my ignorance, I tried to find old comments about Ben but I can't find any. Do people hate him because he was seen as being self absorbed?...I'm not sure why there is so much hate and I'm a little confused!
I don't know why.

A lot of it was because while Ben was in the house, information about him previously having done a bit of stand-up emerged. People assumed he was faking his anxiety/nerves, bunging on his personality & mannerisms etc

Poor guy, I mean how far down do you have to go and what a dark place before you think what he did is a your only option. I really hope he makes a full recovery and finds all the things he wants in life. Its a struggle but I have full faith that with great people around him he will make it. Best of luck to him.

A lot of it was because while Ben was in the house, information about him previously having done a bit of stand-up emerged. People assumed he was faking his anxiety/nerves, bunging on his personality & mannerisms etc
Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I was wondering if Ben stuffed up towards the end of his time in the bb house - because I'm only up to episode 60. He probably was playing up a bit, doesn't everyone in that house? Ah well, I still loved him. Hope he gets better soon :(

benfrombrisbane
Now
You met me through reality TV because I was happy to share my life with you all, good times & bad. Although confronting to some, I hope in being open about my battle with #mentalhealth, might serve to help others by breaking the stigma ☺️

10748230_1503522369926365_1486192844_n.jpg

Not trying to be pushy. But prescription drugs are real drugs. Just because a doctor prescribes them doesn't make them safe. Docs prescribe things that interact poorly with each other. You forget what you took, when. And next thing you know, you are waking up in the emergency room getting your stomach pumped or injected with Ativan. Or worse. Most people who have odes we see in our er have od'd on prescribed meds.
This is so true! I have to keep my meds locked up because of not only the fact that they have street value but also cause of the possibility of overdose by someone who hasn't been prescribed it but takes them anyway. That's not being pushy but speaking sense.

Exactly, depression isnt something that will just go away. I dont know whether Ben's was accidental or intentional, but IF he overdosed on prescription drugs, then he can't be trusted at this stage, to medicate himself. He needs more careful monitoring and in my opinion, shouldnt be left alone. I had my own issues some years ago and you read about these things as a being ' a cry for help'. Believe me, mine wasnt a cry for help, I just didnt want to be here any more. Fortunately, I sorted out my own problems, with a lot of help and I am OK today.

I posted earlier about thinking the Instagram photo of the hospital wrist band, was tacky. I would think that social, or any other kind of media is NOT the place to be, in the few hours after such an event, if depressed. I know I'll get slammed for this, but it had a bit of "look at me, look at me" about it, as though he was still seeking attention or approval from others, or trying to still be relevant. I hope Ben gets ALL the help and support he needs, but I dont think he should be looking for, or will find it on Twitter or Facebook.

I think that Ch9 has a duty of care to anyone that goes into the house and I'm not so sure that their psych tests filter out unsuitable people. I've read enough about The Biggest Loser people, saying that once the programme was finished, so did the support. I am NOT blaming Ch9 for any of this, this is all down to Ben and how he deals with it. I wish him a speedy recovery and if I could offer him one sentence of advice, I would say "stay off Facebook and Twitter" until you are in a much better head space.
So many ppl have no problem being nasty on SM. They don't think about the fact there is a real person behind the screen name and you never know just what they're going through. Ppl have committed suicide (or tried to) because of cyber bullying. One of the reasons I think staying off SM might be best for a time yet it would be hard to do if that was your main source of ppl interaction.

Wishing him the best

Back