Skip to main content

Ben Zabel recovering from overdose - Support for him

It's not a place for you to talk about your sex life and it's definitely not for hating on Ben. I'm sure @Estelle.Landy made this topic for people to send their love and well wishes.

tumblr_mgt3pedPQF1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

If Ben were to read this, one of my favorite bloggers is The Bloggess and she suffers from anxiety and depression check her out and always remember Depression Lies! Take care of yourself, have someone else come and help you if need be. Prayers for Ben.

I am slightly concerned that he Instagrammed about it.

I really, really hope he has a strong team of professionals (psychologist/psychiatrist) in his corner.

Male suicide is the silent epidemic in the western world.
As a person who works in the mental health sector I like your comment. I too don't understand sharing something so personal so publicly. I think that it is great to talk about these things openly and publicly but I question his decision to do it within days of it happening and through a "publicist". Recovery is a journey that takes time. Having said that, each to his own. I hope that Ben finds the peace that he was searching for.

I know this is a few years old and probably old news for lots of people, but if anyone hasn't read the Hyperbole and a Half blogpost on depression you should check it out. Part Two in particular is, for me, the closest I've seen someone come to explaining it.
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

But if you have time, it makes sense to start at Part One, haha:
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2011_10_01_archive.html

Also Allie Brosh is amazing and she should write more often.

Last edited:
Mental health is something that needs to come into the forefront of peoples minds and become the recipient of some decent government funding. Too many people are scared of the words "mental health" and the stigma attached to it. Such a large percentage of the population suffer from mental health issues. Depression, Anxiety etc and for those who feel they have to hide it quite often don't seek the correct help. For Ben, I hope he finds a great doctor, and gets the support he needs. For.anyone else that's reading these posts who feels a little down or lost or worried or bullied, speak out, confide in someone, go and see your GP. There's nothing to be ashamed of.
I'll put it out there, if you want to talk, inbox me, I'll happily chat too.
Cheers to you @Noxious. Maybe some people would have been less critical of Tahan's message had she offered similar.

awwwww thats adorable love them so so much. Ben has so much love, i feel his pain and want him to get better and find love and happiness xoxoxoxox[DOUBLEPOST=1416229813][/DOUBLEPOST]
This. I have PDD-NOS and bipolar. We are, for the most part, a nice bunch here and my inbox is always open.
hope you're well angel xoxoxo

As a person who works in the mental health sector I like your comment. I too don't understand sharing something so personal so publicly. I think that it is great to talk about these things openly and publicly but I question his decision to do it within days of it happening and through a "publicist". Recovery is a journey that takes time. Having said that, each to his own. I hope that Ben finds the peace that he was searching for.

To be fair, I can see why he'd let a publicist talk to media; Ben does some work for various charities/organisations, promoting public awareness and education about mental health issues, so I guess that's why he's making it known that he's unwell but receiving care and treatment.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be Instagramming the identifying patient info on my wristband.

I hope Ben has a good recovery. He's a gentle soul and that can cause the world to be hard sometimes. Many people understand.

I thought that was a POSITIVE. But knowing the A Current Affair and Today Tonight vultures, someone will be knocking on Bens door with a cheque. Thats the LAST thing he needs.
Yep, they won't care about him now but will try and make money off him later. They will wait until he's better and working again etc and then do a big story that makes it look like they supported him all along. Screw the media.

Get well soon Ben! I have had a close friend pass away from a overdose. Support you and your endeavors! We will never know what goes on when Big Brother and the media and the public aren't in private settings!

Back