Skip to main content

Ben Zabel recovering from overdose - Support for him

I'm currently half way through watching bb13 and I'm wondering why there is so much hate for him on this forum. Please excuse my ignorance, I tried to find old comments about Ben but I can't find any. Do people hate him because he was seen as being self absorbed?...I'm not sure why there is so much hate and I'm a little confused!

I think a lot of it was a perception that the producers were favouring him, and the audience reacted against that. It was the same with Bradley the year before.

I think a lot of it was a perception that the producers were favouring him, and the audience reacted against that. It was the same with Bradley the year before.

He was definitely the producers favourite last year. But unlike Bradley (who was a little brat) Ben is lovely and I thought some of the things he did and said was funny and I love Ben's friendship with Tim in the house and out of the house.

But I do get why people would be turned off a favourite constantly being shoved down their throat. That's one of the things how they have wrecked Big Brother in the Channel 9 years. The blatant favouritism of some housemates.

They should just document what is actually going in the house without any bias. Let's watch them all equally. It's human nature to revolt being told who to like. It has the complete opposite effect.l to the producers agenda. Surely the producers of a show that is claims to be "the ultimate social experiment" would be aware of that.

Nothing to do with Ben, but I have been hit with some vile cyber bullying myself for the last few weeks and I have closed most of my social media due to it. I just couldn't take the constant BS anymore. I'm a nobody so I'd hate to think how some people in the limelight try and deal with it. As I haven't been on Twitter, was Ben copping a bit of flack before last weekend? I know first hand, if you're already feeling crappy, one negative thing can tip you over the edge.

Nothing to do with Ben, but I have been hit with some vile cyber bullying myself for the last few weeks and I have closed most of my social media due to it. I just couldn't take the constant BS anymore. I'm a nobody so I'd hate to think how some people in the limelight try and deal with it. As I haven't been on Twitter, was Ben copping a bit of flack before last weekend? I know first hand, if you're already feeling crappy, one negative thing can tip you over the edge.
Sorry you have been targeted by dickheads. Best idea to close the SM, good on you, stick to places you know are friendly. Lots of lovely people in here :biggrin:.

Ahhhh yep, I can definitely see that now. Thank you for explaining into more detail, it's much appreciated when I was so out of the loop with last years season :)

I'm currently half way through watching bb13 and I'm wondering why there is so much hate for him on this forum. Please excuse my ignorance, I tried to find old comments about Ben but I can't find any. Do people hate him because he was seen as being self absorbed?...I'm not sure why there is so much hate and I'm a little confused!

I think a lot of people liked Ben and some weeks he received a lot of save votes.

But by the time he was evicted I had begun to sense he was playing up to the cameras. I think other viewers felt this too. He repeatedly went to the bedroom alone and would talk to his photos. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but part of that could have been perceived to be playing up to the cameras (and as he was alone in the room, also not sharing the limelight.)

There were times when I recall thinking he wasn't as naive as he seemed. When the news of his standup comedy shows became known that just added to the perception that he was a bit more savvy that what he let on in the house. (On his eviction there was a coy reference by Sonia about the comedy shows and he sidestepped all that by saying something like "Oh no no, I am just Ben from Brisbane... next question?")

I had the sense the producers were favouring him by showing a lot of his chats to the photos etc.

So I think there was a bit of a backlash due to perceived favouritism from the producers, but mainly I think he was evicted because his many fans just assumed he was secure and forgot to send him save votes. I certainly recall thinking that he was way too popular to be evicted when he went.

@Benjamin2012HM you are a real piece of work... I just listened to a podcast you were featured on and you had a go at @Estelle.Landy for making this thread? You were acting like she came on here and told everybody some inside information about Ben's overdose, when in reality, everybody already knew because it was in the news and she was sending him love and support and a speedy recovery... Are you seriously knocking her for that?
@Estelle.Landy I can't imagine what it would have been like living with this person, constantly having a go at you for the littlest things and making a big deal about them. I wish you all the best.

@Benjamin2012HM you are a real piece of work... I just listened to a podcast you were featured on and you had a go at @Estelle.Landy for making this thread? You were acting like she came on here and told everybody some inside information about Ben's overdose, when in reality, everybody already knew because it was in the news and she was sending him love and support and a speedy recovery... Are you seriously knocking her for that?
@Estelle.Landy I can't imagine what it would have been like living with this person, constantly having a go at you for the littlest things and making a big deal about them. I wish you all the best.

Thank you T!

Can you enlighten me further on something I can only come to EXPECT from such a person now.

wow. really, @Benjamin2012HM ?

I quote Estelle's first post in this thread

Lo and behold, I wasn't aware of this. There was no other thread discussing what happened at the time, and without this thread I probably wouldn't have known. And I am CERTAIN I am not alone.

It's really shitty that I've had to start my first post in this thread addressing something so pedantic as an ongoing feud (which appears one-way to me) that should have been buried years ago. But them's the breaks.

Now, onto the issue at hand. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Ben Zabel because I was very sceptical of him for reasons already mentioned; but at the end of the day, we are all human beings with only one life, very fragile life. In the grand scheme of things, our existence is only a fleeting moment, and so any person being pushed to the point of having thoughts of prematurely ending the miracle of life that they were given is tragic, and I would never wish it upon anybody.

I just wish that former HMs could use whatever publicity they get right now to raise awareness for depression and other mental health issues in men, rather than fuel their shitty little feuds like some fourteen-year-old. For Christ's sake, its MOvember month! Just remember that THOUSANDS of men world-wide are currently growing moustaches to try to raise awareness for men's health, but they don't get the same platform to spread the awareness. Be a fame-raiser, NOT a fame-whore.

Oh HAHA. I kept listening. You are speculating positively.... So that's ok.

You don't even make any sense @Benjamin2012HM

Oh my god I could barely stop from switching that off when Benjamin Norris was talking about Estelle on that podcast. Benjamin USING Ben Norris' troubles to try and continue his bagging of Estelle? That's the most crass thing I've ever seen. Ben is just the nastiest little slug to ever have come out of Big Brother. Estelle posted a NEWS LINK onto the forum. She didn't come onto BBBA telling us private information about Ben Zabel - she was alerting the fans of the show to an incident that had happened to a popular housemate, something which was ALREADY reported on in the media. The fact you use that to try and continue to attack Estelle just beggars belief.

Back