Skip to main content

Ben Zabel recovering from overdose - Support for him

I think maybe Tahan just meant that as much as you would like to be there for a friend and 'fix' what ails them, when it comes to something like this all you can do is let them know that you're there for them. Sometimes nothing can make someone feel better and they just have to work through it. She's right that what he needs is the help of professionals and to try to be strong and get through. I don't think there was anything bad-meaning in what she said.

@Ellie Mae I do know what you mean though about some people thinking that it's catching. Not even intentionally sometimes. What people don't understand they're afraid of because a person's mental state cannot be rationally explained to people sometimes and that's scary.

I hated Tahan in the house, but in honestly - she's probably not even close with Ben outside the house. What is she meant to do? She reached out to him which is a nice thing to do. Imagine if a work colleague of yours you weren't close with had this happen, are you going to force your way into their life and be their saviour? Of course not. Ben was my fave housemate and I find this news distressing, but I don't think you're being fair to Tahan whatsoever.

Yeah its a tough topic.
I know I quoted Tahan- but a lot of people have this view and its really the view that I take issue with. Basically, people can't just toughen up and psychiatrists don't have all the answers.

You're right- You can expect tahan to save him but people that try and help by saying things like go see a professional and stay strong looks like help but isn't. Those sorts of statements emphasise feelings of loneliness and the stigma. Sets up the mentally ill v the mentally sane. I think if society had more understanding , it would be dealt with more productively and collaboratively.

I agree with the comment about mental health being catching.

People deal with these things differently. If Ben felt the need to post a quirky photo on Instagram, he's allowed to. I don't think he was trying to bring satire or laughter to the whole idea of an overdose by using the #overdose, I think he just wanted to let people know that he was okay I'm his own kind of way.

People deal with these things differently. If Ben felt the need to post a quirky photo on Instagram, he's allowed to. I don't think he was trying to bring satire or laughter to the whole idea of an overdose by using the #overdose, I think he just wanted to let people know that he was okay I'm his own kind of way.

Also we don't know if it was intentional or just a mishap, or bad judgement on a anxious day mixing medication, until we know more we can't really speculate to much i just hope he ok

I HATE DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY.
You can be the strongest, happiest looking person - and you still can't tell who is sad or not!

You can't just ask them to speak up - all you can do is ask them to try too!
I hate that it has come to this. Especially in such a LOVELY and GENUINE BEAUTIFUL man.

I wish him a speedy, healthy and supportive recovery. <3
Australia loves you Ben, forever - not just for now <3

I have lost friends to depression, Know how difficult this is for a person suffering. Stars can't shine without Darkness, Marry The night~ I pray he gets all the love & support to help him as much as possible. Australia loves you Ben From Brisbane. A beautiful soul :)

I'm actually somewhat surprised (or impressed?) that no news shows mentioned it at all on any of the channels tonight.

Oh for FUCK's sake - people are judgementally second-guessing him about social-mediaing.?

It's not 'appropriate'?

It's totally appropriate - normal! - that after embarrassingly, crestfallingly, 'fucking up' - especially when in the public/tabloids' eye, knowing this will immediately be 'news' - you bravely put on a happy face - it reassures the people that truly care about you ('I realise it's all fucked, but it's gonna be alright, don't be worried please - it will all be ok').

Do you Really think this isn't the worst time in his life, and yet that he's being off-hand and flippant about depression ? No-one who's been through depression would; they might, however, try to make people they care about, or who care about them, feel better. I suspect he knows a helluva lot more about clinical depression than you do.

Humour is a defence; and a valuable one. It's also a healing.

Rather than: well that's not what Iiii would have done - for fuck's sake.. show some fucking compassion.

Really REALLY annoyed #formerdedicatedlurker

Yeah, I noticed a lot of dislike for Ben last year on the forum. I felt it was undeserved, but people do have different opinions. I do want to know why @AM_092 disliked him though.

@Inigo Montoya I wish that Ben could've taken his BB experience to better himself and his life. But I still think he comes across quite self-centred and immature. Do you recall how he acted with Travis in the sanctuary? Me me me! Cameras on me! That's how he always is.

However, I do think there's real issues behind why he "performs" the way he does, and I do truly hope he can get help and live life better, even if this abuse of drugs / overdose isn't as serious as it seems.

Ben's at stage in his life, where I hope he doesn't rely on the love from random strangers to feel better about himself. And that's been a big reason why I never liked him. As a part of his personality, wanting acceptance is fine. But constantly wanting reassurance from anyone and everyone, in my eyes, is a negative trait. Especially at a level, that not getting what you want, becomes destructive.

Mental health is something that needs to come into the forefront of peoples minds and become the recipient of some decent government funding. Too many people are scared of the words "mental health" and the stigma attached to it. Such a large percentage of the population suffer from mental health issues. Depression, Anxiety etc and for those who feel they have to hide it quite often don't seek the correct help. For Ben, I hope he finds a great doctor, and gets the support he needs. For.anyone else that's reading these posts who feels a little down or lost or worried or bullied, speak out, confide in someone, go and see your GP. There's nothing to be ashamed of.
I'll put it out there, if you want to talk, inbox me, I'll happily chat too.

Mental health is something that needs to come into the forefront of peoples minds and become the recipient of some decent government funding. Too many people are scared of the words "mental health" and the stigma attached to it. Such a large percentage of the population suffer from mental health issues. Depression, Anxiety etc and for those who feel they have to hide it quite often don't seek the correct help. For Ben, I hope he finds a great doctor, and gets the support he needs. For.anyone else that's reading these posts who feels a little down or lost or worried or bullied, speak out, confide in someone, go and see your GP. There's nothing to be ashamed of.
I'll put it out there, if you want to talk, inbox me, I'll happily chat too.

Spot on!

I understand why people have some reservations re: psychologists/psychiatrists. However, they are 'head doctors' and should be given the same respect as all other doctors. They don't just get their qualification out of a Weetbix box. 3 years at Uni, having to maintain a super high GPA of at least 6.8 (equivalent to a HD in every subject) to get into Honours, a year of Honours and then 2 years of Masters. Having to adhere to a very strict Code of Ethics, and if you put one foot out of line, they will revoke your licence.

It's sad there is such a stigma involved... if someone has a broken leg they don't hesitate to get the help of a doctor. It should be the same with seeking professional help for mental health. Don't hesitate, just do it!

And yes, the public health system and funding is not always the best in regards to mental health :-/. That is an overarching political issue.

@Inigo Montoya I wish that Ben could've taken his BB experience to better himself and his life. But I still think he comes across quite self-centred and immature. Do you recall how he acted with Travis in the sanctuary? Me me me! Cameras on me! That's how he always is.

However, I do think there's real issues behind why he "performs" the way he does, and I do truly hope he can get help and live life better, even if this abuse of drugs / overdose isn't as serious as it seems.

Ben's at stage in his life, where I hope he doesn't rely on the love from random strangers to feel better about himself. And that's been a big reason why I never liked him. As a part of his personality, wanting acceptance is fine. But constantly wanting reassurance from anyone and everyone, in my eyes, is a negative trait. Especially at a level, that not getting what you want, becomes destructive.

AM_092 always had deep, intense hatred for him. Don't know why...o_O

LOL.
I'm all about deep and intense. :p

Wow. This is a serious topic. It's not a place for you to talk about your sex life and it's definitely not for hating on Ben. I'm sure @Estelle.Landy made this topic for people to send their love and well wishes.

Now I know people would dislike Ben from Brisbane and thinks he plays up to the cameras and fair enough you don't have to like him and you are entitled to your opinion but no one can say he is not a nice guy. He never says anything bad about anyone. Why he gets all this HATE I will never understand. He doesn't deserve it. He is a very sensitive soul. He probably has been lonely most of his life and his online friends probably help him a lot. There is no need to think his way of reassurance and comfort even at a older age is any lower than getting that from lots of friends in the same room as him. Most people spend all day on the IPhone's chatting to other people. It's the way of the world now and I think a lot of lonely people won't feel so lonely anymore because of this.

It probably takes a lot of strength for him to "go on stage" and be the Ben that his fans all love. His anxiety would be very high. Try and put yourself in other people's shoes before judging too harshly.

Maybe this documentary will educate you on how hard it is for people with anxiety. These people have to try so hard in their lives and every day tasks you take for granted like say going to the shops or getting a haircut is very difficult for them:

Back