Skip to main content

Ben Zabel recovering from overdose - Support for him

People who rely on strangers for their sense of self. And who feel alone even with their closest loved ones. This is a sad thing all the way around

Exactly, I kinda get the feeling his only friends are his mum, and Tim Dormer. They're the only people you see in his FB pictures. So social media would be as much a friend to him as the two people he seems to have close to him. I met him once and we spoke for about 5 mins and he seemed SO lovely, and funny. I'm surprised he's not surrounded by people he had such a warm energy and likeability to him.

Alex M posted a message of support on Twitter. I do find it odd to be instagramming it and writing #overdose. I hope he gets the help he needs.

At the risk of getting ripped apart, who the fck announces their overdose on instagram???

Like @Ellie Mae says, VERY lonely people who are out of touch with reality. You could argue that he was bringing awareness to the broader issues of mental health/suicide, however I would question what kind of headspace he was in only a few hours after the event when he Instagrammed. Not sure if he would have been thinking very clearly.

Do you think Big Brother will use this news next week in the 'things you missed' on grand finale night. I'm thinking they will seeing as he was featured on the show this year

Did Ben ever comment on his recent visit to BB for Trav's fake eviction? Such strange editing - big fanfare for Ben going in, but nuttin on his way out and barely anything while he was there?

Ben, if somehow you're getting to read these messages know that there's people all over the world who are thinking of you and hoping for your speedy recovery - sending ya a little light and positivity from the big island!

Did Ben ever comment on his recent visit to BB for Trav's fake eviction? Such strange editing - big fanfare for Ben going in, but nuttin on his way out and barely anything while he was there?

Ben, if somehow you're getting to read these messages know that there's people all over the world who are thinking of you and hoping for your speedy recovery - sending ya a little light and positivity from the big island!

He wrote on Twitter a couple weeks back saying he was disappointed that he was hardly seen

That's sad to think such a fun loving guy must have been feeling very low. Hopefully this scare will lead to Ben finding the help that he needs to get better. I wish you well in overcoming this issue and hope for a bright and happy future for you. I cried with laughter watching you on bb this year, best part of the series! Get well the world needs all the Ben's it can get.

He wrote on Twitter a couple weeks back saying he was disappointed that he was hardly seen

Interesting... that would have been another blow to an already fragile state... it's a shame he is now working in one of the most fickle industries ever... television! They chew you up and spit you out.

I did think it was really disappointing at the time that the whole Ben/Travis sanctuary thing just died an instant death after it was first screened.

This is so sad to hear and I hope that he now gets the help he needs.

I haven't had depression before but family members and some of my best friends have and the way they describe it is as a black hole/fog you can't get out of and it doesn't matter what people say or do, you just can't snap out of it. For some people I know it's something they've battled their whole lives, for others it's been triggered by a serious life event.

Ben has been quite open about some of the issues he has faced in life and I hope he now has a support network around him. But it is a job for the professionals first.

For those slamming Tahan for what she said, what else is she supposed to say?

Depression isn't something you can just snap out of or be fixed by hanging out with your friends.

At the risk of getting ripped apart, who the fck announces their overdose on instagram???

Although not put as eloquently as I probably would ;) that action is what disturbs me the most. It appears from the limited information that we have received and looking at this action that Ben might receive his self validation and sense of self from others and that worries the hell out of me. :( Especially because he is in the public arena. This is the worse place to get it from because it will never uplift you in a way to sustain you. It worries me greatly too that he was even put on big brother. Surely the psychologists would have seen that this kind of issue just wouldn't have ended great. Or were they too happy to find such a unique character and over looked the great possibility of this is how it would end post show.

I hope this serves as a reminder that these people are actually real people with daily struggles, who once they leave the house have to deal with same crap as everyone else, they are character from a TV show, and their lives outside should be seen as a real like soap opera

This is so sad to hear and I hope that he now gets the help he needs.

I haven't had depression before but family members and some of my best friends have and the way they describe it is as a black hole/fog you can't get out of and it doesn't matter what people say or do, you just can't snap out of it. For some people I know it's something they've battled their whole lives, for others it's been triggered by a serious life event.

Ben has been quite open about some of the issues he has faced in life and I hope he now has a support network around him. But it is a job for the professionals first.

For those slamming Tahan for what she said, what else is she supposed to say?

Depression isn't something you can just snap out of or be fixed by hanging out with your friends.

Exactly, depression isnt something that will just go away. I dont know whether Ben's was accidental or intentional, but IF he overdosed on prescription drugs, then he can't be trusted at this stage, to medicate himself. He needs more careful monitoring and in my opinion, shouldnt be left alone. I had my own issues some years ago and you read about these things as a being ' a cry for help'. Believe me, mine wasnt a cry for help, I just didnt want to be here any more. Fortunately, I sorted out my own problems, with a lot of help and I am OK today.

I posted earlier about thinking the Instagram photo of the hospital wrist band, was tacky. I would think that social, or any other kind of media is NOT the place to be, in the few hours after such an event, if depressed. I know I'll get slammed for this, but it had a bit of "look at me, look at me" about it, as though he was still seeking attention or approval from others, or trying to still be relevant. I hope Ben gets ALL the help and support he needs, but I dont think he should be looking for, or will find it on Twitter or Facebook.

I think that Ch9 has a duty of care to anyone that goes into the house and I'm not so sure that their psych tests filter out unsuitable people. I've read enough about The Biggest Loser people, saying that once the programme was finished, so did the support. I am NOT blaming Ch9 for any of this, this is all down to Ben and how he deals with it. I wish him a speedy recovery and if I could offer him one sentence of advice, I would say "stay off Facebook and Twitter" until you are in a much better head space.

Interesting... that would have been another blow to an already fragile state... it's a shame he is now working in one of the most fickle industries ever... television! They chew you up and spit you out.

I did think it was really disappointing at the time that the whole Ben/Travis sanctuary thing just died an instant death after it was first screened.

Some more on his page about it

Back