Skip to main content

House Rules

I didn't mind Mel and Bomber to begin with but as the weeks pass, they're getting on my nerves - and I definitely think on each others nerves too. It's a pain to watch them together. They just don't seem to like each other too much, although there could be some careful editing in there. That aside, I will be very surprised if they survive this elimination as they can never seem to produce the same kind of quality as the others.

So long Bomber and Mel. Seems a bit harsh though for contestants to renovate rooms to their own rules and taste and then the judges to tell them they've missed the mark. Nobody really screwed up IMO - it was more the flawed rules where they have to fix up a zone rather than a room, so where rooms in the zone were basically fine they get slated for not doing enough to change them.

Also be interesting to see Maddie and Lloyd's garden as surely the deck is part of the exterior rather than the interior. Would be funny if someone decided to fill in the pool!

Reactions: Kaf
Lisa seemingly volunteering to do the front is probably the dumbest decision on the show since Brooke last made one.

One of the worst zones of the series for me - even Brooke and Grant would have done a better job. Their week off to get their house done really seemed to have hurt them - they were very much front runners before that. Agreed with the ranking by the judges today - only thing I'd say that wasn't picked upon was Adam and Lisa's deck was only really accessible from inside the house, which IMO seems to be a fairly big oversight. Also kind of annoys me how the deck is sometimes done on interiors and othertimes on exteriors - sometimes it makes sense but seems to be a bit random.

Seems we have a final 3 stage this time too (just to milk it out a bit more) - last year they went from 4 to 2 and straight to the grand final (hidden rooms), but they're throwing in something else before then too.

One of the worst zones of the series for me - even Brooke and Grant would have done a better job. Their week off to get their house done really seemed to have hurt them - they were very much front runners before that. Agreed with the ranking by the judges today - only thing I'd say that wasn't picked upon was Adam and Lisa's deck was only really accessible from inside the house, which IMO seems to be a fairly big oversight. Also kind of annoys me how the deck is sometimes done on interiors and othertimes on exteriors - sometimes it makes sense but seems to be a bit random.

Seems we have a final 3 stage this time too (just to milk it out a bit more) - last year they went from 4 to 2 and straight to the grand final (hidden rooms), but they're throwing in something else before then too.

I really thought Adam and Lisa did a stand out job this week - I myself, being from WA and knowing the area, and living on rocks, they did an awesome job to make it fit into the surroundings. What a haul horse Adam is, as well - busted his butt!

I tend to disagree with the deck only being available from inside the house. I would prefer people to be invited to an area like that, than rather 'anyone' having access to, at any time. They did an awesome job!

That's what I thought at first - but then when they talk about the kids running about on the lawn in front of it surely you need easy access from one to the other.

Struggling to pick the overall winner now - I think Carole and Russell will make the final two and probably say Adam and Lisa are front runners at the moment, though with the scores presumably reset again at the final three stage it's an open game. Expect Maddie and Lloyd to go next. but wouldn't rule out Candy and Ryan making the final two. Presumably it's a public vote again so where Adam and Lisa have the advantage is they have a couple of stand out rooms people remember - not sure you can say that for any other team (well, not for the right reasons anyway!)

I felt for Candy and Ryan last night... imagine coming home to that terrible render job and tacky disco/xmas lights... not to mention those weird wooden structures in the front yard and the "grave yard" in the back.

Exposing the undercover entertaining area was a bad idea too. So when its raining they can't use it and the outside furniture will deteriorate out in the elements and when it's too hot/sunny they wont be able to use it and the outside furniture will deteriorate out in the elements. They could have raised the roofline and made it feel more open.

Gawd that render job. I would have burst into tears.

I think C&R decking might have side access by that carport, under the right-hand side upstairs decking? although the main entrance to the house is at the back.
I wonder if C&R had their secret room/area done under the house, and that's why that area is covered in plywood atm?

LJP9es6.jpg

jL4gUeW.png

Last edited:
I felt for Candy and Ryan last night... imagine coming home to that terrible render job and tacky disco/xmas lights... not to mention those weird wooden structures in the front yard and the "grave yard" in the back.

Exposing the undercover entertaining area was a bad idea too. So when its raining they can't use it and the outside furniture will deteriorate out in the elements and when it's too hot/sunny they wont be able to use it and the outside furniture will deteriorate out in the elements. They could have raised the roofline and made it feel more open.

Gawd that render job. I would have burst into tears.

I think it was called bagging that Russell and Lloyd did to Candy and Ryan place, and not rendering?
I think render is thicker, or are they the same thing? hopefully once its dried they can paint over it, although didn't they put some back dye in the mix to make it that colour?
the back yard does need a huge umbrella or shade-cloth/sail so can can entertain all year round.

Bagging is similar but is cheaper / easier to apply as far as I know and it's usually applied with a bag/sponge, hence the name (though it looked like they used a different tool didn't it). Either way the bricks underneath are not supposed to be exposed like that and the colour is supposed to be even too. I think it should have been darker as it made the house look really washed out.

Partially rendering/bagging with a darker colour and keeping some of the original brick as a feature would have looked pretty cool imo.

I think C&R decking might have side access by that carport, under the right-hand side upstairs decking? although the main entrance to the house is at the back.
I wonder if C&R had their secret room/area done under the house, and that's why that area is covered in plywood atm?

LJP9es6.jpg

jL4gUeW.png

Very interesting! Hmmmm

article-2664936-1F03168B00000578-47_634x374.jpg

Before: Carole and Russell's WA front garden was very overgrown

article-2664936-1F03168300000578-184_634x427.jpg

After: Their home looked completely different thanks to Team Victoria

article-2664936-1F03167300000578-778_634x412.jpg

Before backyard: WA's back garden area was very plain

article-2664936-1F03167700000578-586_634x383.jpg

After: Candy and Ryan made a great attempt at transforming the back yard but it was unfinished

article-2664936-1F03174300000578-619_634x405.jpg

Before: Candy and Ryan's Sydney home before Maddi and Lloyd got to work

article-2664936-1F03176F00000578-616_634x347.jpg

After: The grey bagging on the house and wooden features made a hug difference

article-2664936-1F03175000000578-23_634x415.jpg

Backyard: Candy and Ryan said they couldn't wait to have friend round for dinner now they have a nice back garden

article-2664936-1EF46FF400000578-77_634x300.jpg

Creepy! Candy didn't like the art work Carole and Russell created in their back yard and said it was weird

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...addi-Lloyd-hit-rock-bottom.html#ixzz35Rk2fNHY

Creepy! Candy didn't like the art work Carole and Russell created in their back yard and said it was weird

It was weird. I have no idea why they would keep railway sleepers to be used in a garden that was supposed to be sleek and modern. in the 1970s they used to do rustic gardens using sleepers for raised garden beds, retaining walls and meandering steps... none of which would have been appropriate here. I suppose that's why CRussell tried to think outside the box but it was still a fail.

And I agree about the render/bagging, it should have been much darker. Guess they can patch up the bits that didn't get finished properly and paint the whole lot, though.

I think Candy and Ryan got the best statement piece to use in the reno's, that bali benchseat ... although the stones statue used for the Carol &Russells front yard was ok as well.
I wonder what sleek and modern way the HR producer/designers had pictured for those sleepers.

It was weird. I have no idea why they would keep railway sleepers to be used in a garden that was supposed to be sleek and modern. in the 1970s they used to do rustic gardens using sleepers for raised garden beds, retaining walls and meandering steps... none of which would have been appropriate here. I suppose that's why CRussell tried to think outside the box but it was still a fail.

And I agree about the render/bagging, it should have been much darker. Guess they can patch up the bits that didn't get finished properly and paint the whole lot, though.
I think painting the roof tiles black, painting the house a darker grey, and new garage door would look more modern.

On an episode of The Living Room recently they did a reno somewhere in Sydney (?Bondi) on a similar vintage of house, and the council said they weren't allowed to do a darker grey colour as the rendering - it had to be light. You would think though if this was the case at Candy and Ryan's, it would have been mentioned at some stage. I probably shouldn't have looked at the photos again of Maddie and Lloyd's job - it's worse than I remember

Back