Skip to main content

House Rules

Brekkie

Staff member
Probably the only Aussie series I watched every episode of last year (apart from Better Man, though that was only a two parter so doesn't really count!). Much better than The Block IMO which I just could never get into (Aussie TV legends must be thin on the ground for him to win a Gold Logie) - and not bad that everyone gets a renovated house and a holiday out of it.

Anyway, as I watch it might as well create a place to talk about it, so here it is...

Oh, I so agree about Scott Cam. *shudders*

I watched House Rules last night for the first time. It seems ok, I guess. I really don't want to get addicted to yet another reality show! Although I took an instant dislike to the Tassie couple with too many children, so I might have to keep watching in the hope that they get slammed, 'cos I'm nasty like that. ;)

Watch this one Jam, it gets better and better, and it's unlikely you will dislike anyone by the end.

This, and the Renovators, are my favourite RTV shows of recent years.
This one - because it's pretty much impossible for them to script/fake/bullshit us. And because they ALL get rewarded for baring their souls on TV and working like dogs.
Too many RTV shows, use and abuse and discard people and don't really pay them.

This is great because there is barely a TV 'personality' ever seen or involved ( unlike the Block and the overload of 9 shitheads).

And some of the design things they did were hilarious, and some divine. Watch the reveal at the end of the week and likely you will be addicted.

And not much autumn left we better do that thing before it gets too cold:)

Carol got on my nerves.

The aviation firie couple seem sweet.

Adam is a bit of a know it all

Your good bleachy - I can't recall anyone's name yet, let alone much about them.
I just remember FNQ couple are nice and very active types. Is that the aviation/firie couple?
One of the older surfie looking dudes looks very familiar.

Last series, first weeks I did not take couples who later grew on me, eg the older couple, or the winners, liked them lots later

Lol! I only watched it this afternoon.

Yeah the aviation firie dude was from Townsville. I liked their humility. Adam was the guy bossing his girlfriend around who kept talking about how she was out of her depth.

Carol is the older lady. Her husband is the older surfer looking dude. She was quite horrible to him.

I may catch this this time round as I passed it over last time when it went up against The Block, plus there's no way I'm watching the Voice.

Thank god they replaced two of the manual cars - those scenes have got very tedious very quickly.

Thank god they replaced two of the manual cars - those scenes have got very tedious very quickly.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I would have been so frustrated if they had them complaining about the manual cars the whole series.
A bit funny that adam's partner (lisa?!?) crashed it straight away though. Hah.

If I was on house rules I would hate to be the first house renovated. They should get the couples together and let them spend some time getting to know one another before the first Reno. They have no idea what the Sydney couple are like and what would suit them. I have a feeling this house is going to be a massive hodgepodge.

It's kind of a double blow being the first ont done - not only do the others not know you but when they move on to the 2nd you're the only ones who don't know the home owners at all.

Judging on a show like this is always somewhat subjective - thought it was a bit harsh Bomber and Mel with an unfinished bathroom and a disastrous bedroom scored higher than Lloyd and Maddie who seemed to be marked very harshly for a lack of workspace in the laundry. Seems though it's better to finish something well and leave something unfinished than finish everything quickly to a sub-standard.

Good to see Carole and Russell come out on top though - they've really grown on me over the week and managed to deliver in the end - though I always question the clock on shows like this when you've got a pretty much empty room with an hour to go then suddenly it's all done. (Was an error too when one of the shots of the clock in that final hour showed they still had a whole day to go as well).

I always question the clock on shows like this when you've got a pretty much empty room with an hour to go then suddenly it's all done. (Was an error too when one of the shots of the clock in that final hour showed they still had a whole day to go as well).

I'm sure there is always creative editing on these shows with the so-called final countdown and rush to finish. I noticed the 'one day left' error as well. Freudian slip?

Good to see Carole and Russell come out on top though - they've really grown on me over the week and managed to deliver in the end - though I always question the clock on shows like this when you've got a pretty much empty room with an hour to go then suddenly it's all done. (Was an error too when one of the shots of the clock in that final hour showed they still had a whole day to go as well).

Weirdly, I agree with Carole.
She annoyed me in the first episode. I probably would have ranked them as my least favourite couple but somehow last night I surprised myself when I was happy for them with their result.

I'm sure there is always creative editing on these shows with the so-called final countdown and rush to finish. I noticed the 'one day left' error as well. Freudian slip?
I've always thought that with the Block. But with last night, there was quite a bit unfinished. Helped me to believe they really were working right up until the last second. I'm sure it's still exaggerated for effect. But yeah...

Also seems odd that in the first episode of the week they seem to cover about half the week. Obviously from a TV point of view understandable the latter stages might be more interesting, but does feel like we're missing a day somewhere.

I guess the producers design the layout of the house then - this weeks seems especially awkward.

So I caught some episodes including the reveal - I'm not sure I'm sold on it. Seems very budget to me. Surely the show must come back and fix everything or is that what they spend their prize money on? :p

I didn't really like any of the rooms apart from kitchen/dinning. That laundry/pantry was a total WTF, I mean I realise they had the room to but would you really play basketball in the laundry!? I did mentally high five the male judge about the low shower head, bane of my existence!

I'll give it another week as I am probably bring overly critical but I can't really see myself staying with it.

The "prize money" is simply to pay their mortgage off. It definitely lacks the standard of the block.

It gets better as it goes on :) (standards wise)

Would TOTALLY suck being one of the first houses renovated.

The "prize money" is simply to pay their mortgage off. It definitely lacks the standard of the block.

It gets better as it goes on :) (standards wise)

Would TOTALLY suck being one of the first houses renovated.

Yeah I thought the standards would have to rise as they surely can't fall! :p

At the same time these are people who, even if they don't win, get their houses fixed up for free.
Might not be the same high-end as the block but even if they have to fix a few things and finish off a few things afterwards they get a lot out of it.
Last year I thought that the people who had theirs renovated first would feel ripped off. I think last year from memory they had a week of fixing worst rooms? (or am I going crazy).

Reactions: Kaf
Back