Skip to main content

House Rules

I do think that is what makes it better than The Block - it's regular houses being renovated for fairly regular living, and also for people viewers get to know rather than the highest bidder. Aspirational luxury stuff can be a bit of a turn off really.

IIRC last year they had a fix up room, then the gardens and finally a "hidden room" for the final 2 being renovated - which this week is clearly the basement for Carol & Russell, but didn't spot an obvious extra room last week for Candy and Ryan.

Brooke and Grant really are the villians this year - hope they piss everyone off then their house is done last and they just knock it down or something!

I do think that is what makes it better than The Block - it's regular houses being renovated for fairly regular living, and also for people viewers get to know rather than the highest bidder. Aspirational luxury stuff can be a bit of a turn off really.

Brooke and Grant really are the villians this year - hope they piss everyone off then their house is done last and they just knock it down or something!

Totally agree on both counts. I commented on TV Tonight that I wished The Block would return to renovating terraces with realistic budgets etc.

The standard of the results on HR is obviously lower but at least you see the contestants actually doing a lot of the work! And no pointless challenges and other padding.

Brooke and Grant... oh dear what can you say. Apparently they "deserve to win more than the others". Uh huh. And Brooke, what a lazy and selfish cow.

I've done a 180 on my thoughts. I started liking Brooke and Grant, feeling like they were a cute mum and dad couple. I also really disliked Carole and Russel

Now I'm a huge fan of Carole and Russell and Brooke and Grant have really turned me off them.

I also didn't really like Lisa and thought Adam was a bit of a jerk but I have warmed to them a bit now. They did deserve to be in the tent though.

I'm not sure that Bomber and Mel are going to even make it through the darned thing, they have had a string of bad luck health wise.

I've done a 180 on my thoughts. I started liking Brooke and Grant, feeling like they were a cute mum and dad couple. I also really disliked Carole and Russel

Is this a standard editing construct? Start by giving teams a bad/good edit then switching then up? The did show a lot of Carole yelling at and bossing Russell at the start, now they appear to be getting on like a house on fire. Viewer manipulation?

Hmmm not so much feeling manipulated. For me, I guess I've just come to see how the abuse Carole pours on Russell is actually ok with Russell and he probably needs it for motivation to get going. They actually work well that way.
I have a best friend, we can be quite fiery with each other but we both know it's done in love and it only makes our friendship stronger. We would totally look like that on a show if we were to do it.

Are Brooke and Grant the Tassie couple? They're certainly not making any friends and that "barn" door is horrible!

The show is growing on me and the eye candy is an added bonus. :p

So on the first day they usually show the contestants going through the home owners clothes - and then on reveal day their walk in robe is always empty. It's one thing throwing out their furniture but surely they don't throw out their clothes as well!

As for this week - on the whole a good job apart from Brooke and Grants Butlers Pantry - those doors are horrid. Candy and Ryan obviously suffered from it being their first. Carole and Russells scoring was a bit erratic though - really praising rooms and saying they're perfect then giving them a 6, there being obvious issues with Ryan and Candys room but only marking them down to a 5 and then Brooke and Grant missing one of the key house rules and getting a 7.

Reactions: Kaf
Agree about their scoring, it was a bit weird, but as usual we only see the edited version of their initial comments, and perhaps after more reflection between seeing it for the first time and the taping of the scoring they have a better 'feel' for each zone and score it based on that.

The next house looks like it's going to be a design nightmare of clashing wallpapers and mirrors.

Well, this lot are rather crap - they should get the winners from last year back as advisers, still remember what they did on the older couple's house, it was gorgeous.
Can't help but think there is something weird and fishy about the vile couple from Tassie.
Did they do some kind of deal?
Did they advertise for each other? Meet at a special arseholes without partners hookup?
Did the exes set them up.
They are so weird, so un-couple like, they appear to despise each other, and kind of resemble each other.

They make it extremely difficult to believe or consider that anyone would procreate with that.

I love Mel. Like Lisa and the Gosseling guy, and the tim Cahill guy. And I like Carol & Co, him especially.
But Mel - she is special and super.

Well the reno was a lot nicer than last week but it looks like it's going to be terrible again this week. So many hideous wallpapers in the preview.

LMAO. But they do look like brother and sister, I suppose that's Tasmania for you.

Complete weirdos.
The final weirdo straw - he installs kitchens for a living, they produced a shit kitchen, but honey don't say shit about your hubbie's work to camera like that if you ever want him to earn a living.
The pair of them are so childish, I hope the exes have a lot of influence raising those kids, for these 2 are awful. Oh my you wouldn't want the kids ever seeing this show either.

I also could not follow how this guy and whoever he was fought about a wall space void they created - there is a lack of space, and yet they were happy to give up more???

And funny how many tradies are kind of shit, and make heaps of mistakes. Just like the tradies we have all dealt with.
Only a few are really good at what they do, or care - like last years winner, and that wood guy on the block

Well the reno was a lot nicer than last week but it looks like it's going to be terrible again this week. So many hideous wallpapers in the preview.

It is looking like this year is going to be an entirely different show - much more bitchiness.
And at the end - they will have to fix stuff, way more than the small alterations last year.
Looks like this show will be MUCH longer, the disaster wallpaper house coming up will take quite a bit of fixing.

Another week another crap layout - really doesn't seem the best use of space to me and for a couple saying they want a home to raise a family in the house doesn't seem to have been designed for the long term. Same last week with the spare bedroom when there was more mention of the grandkids than anyone else and yet their only spare room was very much an adult space.

Am loving this show though - probably my favourite reality show around at the moment.

Another week another crap layout - really doesn't seem the best use of space to me and for a couple saying they want a home to raise a family in the house doesn't seem to have been designed for the long term. Same last week with the spare bedroom when there was more mention of the grandkids than anyone else and yet their only spare room was very much an adult space.

Am loving this show though - probably my favourite reality show around at the moment.

Ha! I'm sure all that glass and mirrors will me great for the grandkids!

Great prank by Ryan tonight but really don't get the logic from Maddie and Lloyd in hiding their jobs - seems they're just trying to make themselves more interesting than they actually are.

another crap layout - really doesn't seem the best use of space to me

Yeah I thought having the kitchen smack bang in the middle of the house seems wrong, near the bedrooms like that. Even if it does look on to the new deck.

The prank was kinda painful. Chances are the whole Lloyd's profession/Ryan's response thing was set up by the producers so they had some light hearted fodder to help break up all the renovating and shopping.

Can't help but think there is something weird and fishy about the vile couple from Tassie.
Did they do some kind of deal?
Did they advertise for each other? Meet at a special arseholes without partners hookup?
Did the exes set them up.
They are so weird, so un-couple like, they appear to despise each other, and kind of resemble each other.

They make it extremely difficult to believe or consider that anyone would procreate with that.

I love Mel. Like Lisa and the Gosseling guy, and the tim Cahill guy. And I like Carol & Co, him especially.
But Mel - she is special and super.

LMAO. But they do look like brother and sister, I suppose that's Tasmania for you.

Damn straight. They appear to be the most horrible people out - to the other AND to eachother. Seriously she is a cow of a woman to him and he is just a dopey so-n-so (There are more better fitting words that suit lol).

The Vic team and the FNQ teams are growing on me.
Those Tassies are making me swear lots at the screen. I fear my TV is in danger ever time they're on.

All the boys look like someone, not quite doppelgangers they resemble -
FNQ - Tim Cahill, soccer player
Vic - Aussie of the Year, Goodes
Ryan, mini Gosling
Surfer guy - iggy pop has been mentioned, and some other old Aussie rockstar that I can't remember
Tas - UK Office, David Brent
Bomber - if you look at his face, if he had hair he would resemble Will Farrel

Mel continues to shine, shine, shine:)

Poor Melb couple, and they are quite nice too, if the show doesn't do a fix up at the end - then I would advertise and charge admission, look at the FREAKSHOW courtesy of 7, how not to renovate:)

Tassie's have NO TASTE whatsoever, brown and yellow hideous wallpaper, vile - hawthorn, even a footy team looks shit in this colour scheme from a lavatory, poo & puss.
Their barn doors made me laugh quite hard.

Damn straight. They appear to be the most horrible people out - to the other AND to eachother. Seriously she is a cow of a woman to him and he is just a dopey so-n-so (There are more better fitting words that suit lol).

The Vic team and the FNQ teams are growing on me.
Those Tassies are making me swear lots at the screen. I fear my TV is in danger ever time they're on.
I've passed the simply hating them stage though and now finding them quite funny - though not in an endearing way of course.

They seem to be struggling with the design concept (that Butlers Pantry was one of the worst thing I've ever seen on the show - well, until Carol's bathroom wall.)

Back