Skip to main content

House Rules

Oh is it only over 2 days? Boo. I thought it was a week. In that case it most definitely is filler. You can't stick something like that over 2 nights only. That's like putting in the first chapter of the book with only the blurb.

I think now the weird scoring tactics by the judges show a very clear favourite in Adam and Lisa. Carole and Russel are on the top of the leaderboard so should they have been given the points they would've received if they were - say, Adam and Lisa - there would have been a larger gap than just 2 points on the leaderboard and it would be harder to make Adam and Lisa come out on top and inconspicuously so too.

The judging is so dodgy, Wendy and Joe gush over details that simply aren't gushworthy. They feed off each other's critique and neither seems to really have a mind of their own. I wish they would judge seperately. Or better still, get some better judges.

I don't get why they're told who does what room either - they should judge on the room, not how the team is progressing. Were either of the judges known to an Aussie TV audience before House Rules?

And as it's probably the last time I can moan about it but the split zones also make the reveal show really awkward with the judges and homeowners having to walk through zones to get to other zones, then back to zones they've already seen. This week all the teams that had kids bedrooms pretty much had a zone next to one of them - but obviously producers thinking we like to see people argue over 100mm opted to give them rooms the other side of the house instead.

Why are Bomber and Mel laying flooring under their new kitchen? Paying for flooring they'll never see and having to level the floor, waste of time and money.

Why are Bomber and Mel laying flooring under their new kitchen? Paying for flooring they'll never see and having to level the floor, waste of time and money.

Because the new units won't exactly fit the gap where the old units were removed. they only had two choices: either rip up the old tiles or fill in the lower level. I don't know how they can just go over the old ones to be honest, because that affects the floor levels from the kitchen to other areas and create step ups/downs and having to possibly modify doors if the floor level has gone higher.

Because the new units won't exactly fit the gap where the old units were removed. they only had two choices: either rip up the old tiles or fill in the lower level. I don't know how they can just go over the old ones to be honest, because that affects the floor levels from the kitchen to other areas and create step ups/downs and having to possibly modify doors if the floor level has gone higher.
Bad idea to have the cabinetry on top, they should have just filled what they needed to or taken up the tiles. If ever there's a leak and that floor has to come up then the kitchen has to come out too. Agree about the levels, such a small tiled area so they should have removed them.

Anyone else get the feeling the editors are setting up Candy and Ryan for a fall - they're the only team they seemed to show talking about winning the week and being really confident.

Looks like the fix-up challenge remains tagged on to the end of this one, though still don't like how at this crucial stage of the competition the initial renos count for absolutely nothing.

Anyone else get the feeling the editors are setting up Candy and Ryan for a fall - they're the only team they seemed to show talking about winning the week and being really confident.

Looks like the fix-up challenge remains tagged on to the end of this one, though still don't like how at this crucial stage of the competition the initial renos count for absolutely nothing.
I did think this too. They also seem to be playing at viewers heart strings with Adam and Lisa's cluckiness for a baby. Then they keep cutting to the judging with the family saying "omg we are so touched and amazed you must really know what you're doing with a baby's room blablabla".

I think judging will go:
Adam and Lisa
Carole and Russell
Candy and Ryan
Bomber and Mel

Also. THOSE COCKROACHES. Surely the family would've known about that problem long before and should have dealt with it?! That was disgusting. I have never seen that many cockroaches in my life. I had nightmares last night.

Bomber & Mel can piss off, they have been growing more annoying each week, her initial hardworking persona has faded into all of them slogg away except her partner- extermintors not pissy little mortein bombs required.
Current top 2 teams will be finalists, the rest have far too many WTF moments going on every reveal.

Also. THOSE COCKROACHES. Surely the family would've known about that problem long before and should have dealt with it?! That was disgusting. I have never seen that many cockroaches in my life. I had nightmares last night.

Years ago I moved into a flat and didn't have a fridge, but the neighbours had just moved out and left one behind so the landlord said I could have it. When I went to move it, it was just like on House Rules, THOUSANDS of roaches took off across the floor in all directions, I think I actually screamed. I know I jumped.

Then I got a grip, moved the fridge outside and sprayed an entire can of flyspray into the bottom where the motor is. I couldn't afford to go and buy one. Such is life when you're 18. Well, in my day anyway, these days mummy and daddy put you up until you're 30.

I did think this too. They also seem to be playing at viewers heart strings with Adam and Lisa's cluckiness for a baby. Then they keep cutting to the judging with the family saying "omg we are so touched and amazed you must really know what you're doing with a baby's room blablabla".

I think judging will go:
Adam and Lisa
Carole and Russell
Candy and Ryan
Bomber and Mel

LOL I just realised I forgot Maddie and Lloyd... Wewps.. They must have made an impact on me lol. They'll be second last

I think I'm going to be pretty correct in my leaderboarding skills.

God, that was a long slog - are they now playalong episodes as you pretty much have time to renovate a room while watching an episode.

Pretty much agreed with the judges this week, though don't see why the homeowners couldn't have scored it too (in the VTs, the show didn't need to be any longer!!!) I do think the producers should put the finished product above the challenge though - even giving them 5 days would have made such a difference.

Candy and Ryan clearly the winners this week - only thing I didn't like was the sofa they kept, but presumably to keep in budget they spent their money well. They got a bit lucky too with only having the one bedroom.

Looking forward to the 24-hour fix-up (Brooke and Grant's mess) challenge and the gardens, but hope they don't milk it out too much after that.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with Candy and Ryans reno. The little insect stuffed toy was a nice addition, as was the wallpaper.

I wonder how many couples opt for Brooke and Grant's room to be their room of choice for redoing lol. That would be another huge kick in the teeth for the Tassies

God, that was a long slog - are they now playalong episodes as you pretty much have time to renovate a room while watching an episode.

I found this latest challenge a bit of a waste of time really. I'm usually hooked on this show but I found myself bored, I really don't care about the houses of random strangers. It was a bit like a MasterChef masterclass stretched out to a boring extreme.

So only two of the five have gone for Brooke and Grant rooms - somewhat surprising. And is Townsville really so isolated they'd only have two rolls of wallpaper in the entire place?

With Brooke and Grant gone definately hoping for Mel and Bomber to go out next. Anyone else get the feeling they might not be together for long after this?

Back