Skip to main content

Big Brother Australia Media Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter only won on Sympathy vote. It was a very sad story, (his parents passed away and he was raising his little brother, i think?), but he was pretty boring to watch.

Agree. Just such a shame he kept speaking about it during the entire run of the show.

What price fame?

However, in 2002, 1.5 million people tuned in to see Peter win the second series of Big Brother, nearly double the number who tuned in a few weeks ago to watch Tim Dormer win the 2013 series.

Whilst I'm sure they are ACTUALLY referring to the series average, technically 1.5m people ALSO tuned in to watch Tim win this year.

if the ratings system was somehow able to include people who record the show and watch later or watch online, then i think they would find far more people are watching some tv shows than they give credit for!

We haven't heard of Peter because he was the WORST. WINNER. EVER. How on earth he won still consumes my mind to this day!

Worse than Terri from Coles? Or Trevor who just spent the whole time jumping up and saying boo and then he won a million dollars? :rolleyes:
The final was so touching with Peter. I liked his story and he wasnt going to know what would be shown on the show. I think he was a deserving winner. These days its all about who can be the most entertaining we dont even know their stories any more. Each to their own though!

Worse than Terri from Coles? Or Trevor who just spent the whole time jumping up and saying boo and then he won a million dollars? :rolleyes:
The final was so touching with Peter. I liked his story and he wasnt going to know what would be shown on the show. I think he was a deserving winner. These days its all about who can be the most entertaining we dont even know their stories any more. Each to their own though!

Haha! At least Terri and Trevor did stuff instead of sulk but yes, I see your point.

if the ratings system was somehow able to include people who record the show and watch later or watch online, then i think they would find far more people are watching some tv shows than they give credit for!

The rating system does include people who record the show and watch it that night before 2am, also if you record and watch the show within 7 days it is added to the time shifted data. Online viewing is not counted because honestly I have no idea why maybe [MENTION=486]bleachy_dude[/MENTION] knows why...

As [MENTION=34449]Inigo Montoya[/MENTION] said, PVR'd viewing is already counted.

Oztam are running trials in counting online viewing. I think it was about 15% of the survey currently includes PC desktop viewing and they are looking into ways to include tablet (ie ipad) viewing.

Channel Ten recently stated that they believe our ratings system could be more 'robust'

Quote: www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/11/how-robust-is-our-ratings-system.html

“We have as many people on any given week watching it on TenPlay as they are on terrestrial broadcasting, which is good and bad for us because we can’t monetise the show on digital the way we can on terrestrial,” he said.

“The market was very quick to say The Bachelor has only been a moderate success. But if you take the 800,000 people who watched it last week on linear TV and the 820,000 I think it is on TenPlay, together with catch-up service in the week, you’re looking at 1.8m odd. Which is extrordinary.

“So it’s an absolute smash but we’ve got to redefine how we judge these shows.”

Asked whether TEN was disadvantaged by having a younger audience who may not have a landline phone (the traditional method for sending data between households and ratings service provider Nielsen TAM), he was careful with his words.

“Whenever I talk about that it looks like I’m being defensive because our ratings aren’t where (they need to be),” he said. “But I would just pull it back to looking at TenPlay it’s not reflected in OzTAM. The very fact that so many people are consuming premium content, and doing it in different ways, we need a more robust measurement system so that we can measure and monetise it.”

No doubt about it, they are going to have to work something out, they need to keep up with the trends.

The rating system does include people who record the show and watch it that night before 2am, also if you record and watch the show within 7 days it is added to the time shifted data. Online viewing is not counted because honestly I have no idea why maybe [MENTION=486]bleachy_dude[/MENTION] knows why...

Really?! Opps, i stand corrected then! I always thought the ratings only included people who watched the show "live".

Really?! Opps, i stand corrected then! I always thought the ratings only included people who watched the show "live".

Honestly I had no idea how ratings were figured out till I started reading TV Tonight a few years ago and I sort of pieced my knowledge together from the articles and comments on that website. I do agree that there are certainly more people watching a show than what is first reported when the ratings are published the next day, if you include online catch ups, repeats and for BB YouTube views, but advertisers only care about those initial numbers.

Big Brother Australia 2013 - In Bed with Ben and Layla

Mummy Smiles interviews two of the biggest personalities to enter the Big Brother House - Layla from 2012 and Ben from 2013. Find out what Layla thinks she would have done differently to win!

[video=youtube;unBSoARxO88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBSoARxO88&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

Last edited:
Tim Dormer meets Wallacia lion cub
788223-2aa1bb00-52aa-11e3-ae73-b32b82fa53e6.jpg

Big Brother winner Tim Dormer fulfilled his wish to spend some time with exotic animals when he had the chance to cuddle a lion cub and feed an elephant at an animal sanctuary at *Wallacia.

His interest in Bindi *Irwin, daughter of Steve *Irwin, paved the way for him to get up close with exotic animals at the Life On The Line Rescue sanctuary.

Dormer said he had a great time playing with Zambi, the 10-week-old *female lion cub and feeding Sabu, the 58-year-old Asian elephant.

Dormer also saw tigers, *lions, monkeys, and a puma.

Full article @ http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...allacia-lion-cub/story-fngr8i5s-1226767788457

Drew and Tully in OK mag talking about their relationship. Apparently there is more in the print version. If anyone has it a scan would be much appreciated.

HERE is a link to the online version. Thanks to [MENTION=24613]Reaper[/MENTION].

I thought Peter deserved it too. I was happy he won that year.

...He was the one that lost both his parents and they brought his little brother into the house after he'd won right?

It isn't recorded in stats due to the fact that many surveys and ratings are about the advertising and advertsers during the show. Recording the show and watching it later means you can fast forward adverts, watching online has no adverts. Much of the dollars spent on ratings is to garner information on whether sponsors products are being seen by consumers who watch.

I have been in market research for many years and have done alot of work in this area so I know that is the main reason recorded and downloaded viewing is not counted when doing ratings. I hope that answers you question

It isn't recorded in stats due to the fact that many surveys and ratings are about the advertising and advertsers during the show. Recording the show and watching it later means you can fast forward adverts, watching online has no adverts. Much of the dollars spent on ratings is to garner information on whether sponsors products are being seen by consumers who watch.

I have been in market research for many years and have done alot of work in this area so I know that is the main reason recorded and downloaded viewing is not counted when doing ratings. I hope that answers you question

It does thank you. :)

I'm just an amateur ratings watcher, like I said I've pieced together my knowledge from websites like TV Tonight. I do watch Gruen on the ABC do you watch that? Well anyway a while ago Todd Sampson said there was a study being done or had been done where it looked at how much people concentrate when they are FF ads. It turned out that people concentrate more when they are and a part of your brain will recognizes ads that you have previously seen and it will be subconsciously stuck in your brain. Maybe one day recordings will count more in the ratings if studies like this happen more often.

It does thank you. :)

I'm just an amateur ratings watcher, like I said I've pieced together my knowledge from websites like TV Tonight. I do watch Gruen on the ABC do you watch that? Well anyway a while ago Todd Sampson said there was a study being done or had been done where it looked at how much people concentrate when they are FF ads. It turned out that people concentrate more when they are and a part of your brain will recognizes ads that you have previously seen and it will be subconsciously stuck in your brain. Maybe one day recordings will count more in the ratings if studies like this happen more often.

But.........nobody watches adds.

We either flick, or walk, or mute.
IE flick to another channel, or get a refreshment, or whatever your multi-tasking gets another bit done - I fold washing, sort letters, whatever, only rarely watch TV not doing something else.

So traditional rating systems are stupid. ABC are happily counting all mediums.

So - no real buzz around the old BB HMs media wise???
I expect they will drag a few out tonight for the ARIAS, some carols stuff and see ya later, except for Tim, Ben, Tahan:)

But.........nobody watches adds.

We either flick, or walk, or mute.
IE flick to another channel, or get a refreshment, or whatever your multi-tasking gets another bit done - I fold washing, sort letters, whatever, only rarely watch TV not doing something else.

So traditional rating systems are stupid. ABC are happily counting all mediums.

So - no real buzz around the old BB HMs media wise???
I expect they will drag a few out tonight for the ARIAS, some carols stuff and see ya later, except for Tim, Ben, Tahan:)

Are you being sarcastic or?

Of course people watch ads whether intentionally or noticing subliminally and it impacts on our purchasing decisions.

The Aria 2013 Awards
As for this year's Big Brother winner Tim Dormer, apparently he missed the 'smart' dress code.

View attachment 35995

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...-bonnie-anderson/story-e6frfn2i-1226772478926

One thing I don't understand with a lot of those poses. Why pulling tongue out, or grimacing, IMO It is just not a good look. It makes them look ugly. Jade looks beautiful though.

They can't just have a picture taken, they have to do something to be different. For me they are different, they are just ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back