Skip to main content

2016 Today I...

Looked at shorts. Denim shorts. I can't stand certain types of materialss because it makes me want to scratch them.

d198c645-1bb0-4f97-879c-be85b80ab6bd.jpg

Today, when it was yesterday....A guy was walking his Boston terrier off a leash along the footpath and it grabbed a rainbow lorikeet in its mouth, apparently capturing it from the ground. The dog then ran away from the owner, tossing, dropping and picking up the fluttering mess all the way out into the middle of road to escape its owner with the bird...which of course, is where the dog dropped it.

I saw all of this, after just finishing my Carfee Lartte.... and went out onto the road to get the stunned bird off it to prevent any potential splattering. Of course, a car rolls up in the middle of it. Car has to stop and wait while I shooed the now hopping bird off the road (HOW EMBARASSING 1).

After calling Wildlife Rescue, the bird proves to be a right little shit for another passerby and me to catch....hopping under a parked car whose owner couldn't be located, then under another that had to moved. We had to crawl around with umbrellas to shoo it out to capture it before it had the chance to hop under then next one. Yes it could still move very fast when it wanted to. (HOW EMBARASSING 2).

Eventually the passer-by got it by hand. At this point I looked up, to see we had provided the local lunchtime entertainment to an audience of shop-keepers, patrons, box and towel donors who were now f*****g cheering... while the Lorikeet's mate had been constantly squawking throughout (HOW EMBARASSING 3).

Anyway, the Wildlife Rescue people had told us to catch it if we could, then take it to the local vet who would be expecting it. It was red raw in places from losing feathers with a few minor wounds, but nothing major (yay!) The vet was lovely (I MEAN lovely), said he'd give it antibiotics and food for a couple days, then hand it over to a wildlife carer, before eventually being released.

I thought that last part was all pretty cool. All over a silly bit of wildlife!
DSC05987-cropped.jpg

(no, not the actual bird but it looked like this with fewer, messier feathers and bald, red top of its head).

Oh, and what about the dog owner?

He had to pick his daughter up......and so left the scene (he helped to create) fairly hastily.......after a brief and friendly discussion, with me................:)

That's my good deed for the next 5 years minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and Rainbow Lorikeets are a native species, protected by law.

Oh, and Rainbow Lorikeets are a native species, protected by law.

Yes. Nice to see people who care about animals.

A couple of weeks ago at work, a pigeon flew into the front window. To some people it would evoke a response of "who cares, it's just a pigeon", but it was a native pigeon. There are about six that hang around, and they are quite different to the common variety. So, he flew smack bang into the window, and was probably only dazed, but he became vulnerable enough for a magpie, with whom the pigeons usually co-exist, to swoop on him and hold him down, starting to pick his eyes out. We rescued the pigeon and rang the local animal hospital (vet, but it is called that), who said that if we brought it in they'd be grateful, and that it would be free of charge as they are a protected species.

Last week a duck wandered into the driveway at home, which is not particularly near water. A lovely duck it was, didn't bite or struggle (or crap) at all. just quacked a couple of times. I held her in an open box in the passenger seat of the car, and took her to the nearest pond. Probably not where she was headed, but certainly safer than someone's driveway on a main road in the suburbs.

I agree, it is nice to see people who care about animals, particularly protected species.

Humans can be very naughty...breeding like exponentially expanding their population; pinching most of the planet's resources; and creating environmental and ecosystem messes that then need to be managed and cleaned up....frogs, bees, the 125-150 year living Orange Roughy! The list goes on....

Went to toastmasters. Thinking of not doing humorous speech contest anymore and transferring to another club.

Did anyone watch Making dogs happy in he abc/iview? (Just while we are on the animal theme). You might like it Reepbot. It's Dogology. They call it dogmanship. They managed to get dogs to be still and undergo an MRI while they tested their emotions. Interesting.

OMG! You did that?! I thought the site was broken!!![DOUBLEPOST=1473884204][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why?

yes i did that. all for you mooooseface.

well because the club seems to take more importance on numbers, there are clubs closer to where i live, and i think i would feel happier elsewhere.

Oh that's nice @Bluefin, yay for saving animals!

I remember once long ago I had the chance to save a possum and I didn't and at the risk of being melodramatic I've never forgiven myself!! I donate to WIRES each month to try absolve myself.

Did anyone watch Making dogs happy in he abc/iview? (Just while we are on the animal theme). You might like it Reepbot. It's Dogology. They call it dogmanship. They managed to get dogs to be still and undergo an MRI while they tested their emotions. Interesting.

true. i might like it. thank you, madam.

Back