Skip to main content

2016 Today I...

Well done. Vomit and all I see if the little face has any truth to it. I'm at work and spent the evening trying to sleep, so only a smidge of bubbles for me. The prawns were lovely too. Happy New Year to you and I hope you feel better tomorrow :)
No vomite yet, just thought that was a good smiley to use for being hungover.... Actually very surprised that I did not throw up, was mixing a lof of different alcohol.
Happy New Year to you Fi.

...Happy New Years to all of my friends on this glorious website... you all might recall (last year lol!)... that I did this terrarium and put it up in the '2015 Today I:' forum for all to see... see below... (to see that Terrarium click on the 'expand' tab)...

...2015 Today I... am posting my creation of the day... I spent about 6 hours yesterday creating this terrarium in an old 45 litre carboy bottle from a laboratory that I got from work one day many many years ago...I had spent about 4 hours in creating the gardening tools for it prior to putting it all together... (the tools are sitting beside the bottle in the first image)... I had plants growing in it for about 8 years way back many years before... they all got attacked by insects when I forgot to put the mesh insect screen on the bottle one day... (you can see it in image #5 in place)... it's been sitting in my shed for about 5 years after I got disheartened with it and stored it away... I rediscovered it and here you are... my new bit of paradise!... lol!...

...I have another two about the same size still in the shed... they will be next... one of them will have just carnivorous plants like sundews/venus fly traps and pitcher plants in it when they come into season pretty soon... (I can't wait to do that one lol!)... the third bottle I haven't decided what to do with... (any suggestions?)... the bottles used to store Hydrochloric Acid and other such liquids in them... the lab technicians were just throwing them into a giant bin and smashing them as I walked past one day and I managed to rescue 3 of them... my heart had a palpitation when I saw that they had already smashed about 10 of them!... what a waste...

...the last image was taken of the inside of the carboy right in the mouth of the bottle and if you're curious it's sitting on a spare turntable that I use for my Bonsai plants when working on them so that I can turn the terrarium each day so that the plants don't grow in just one direction only... anyhow... I present to you... my new terrarium... ta dah!... cheers.

View attachment 50357

View attachment 50358

View attachment 50359

...in that post I said that I had another 2 bottles and had plans for one of them at least... here's that part of my quote...

I have another two about the same size still in the shed... they will be next... one of them will have just carnivorous plants like sundews/venus fly traps and pitcher plants in it when they come into season pretty soon... (I can't wait to do that one lol!)

...and Shaydee you responded with...

@Mr Stickyfingers they are sooooo cool. Can't wait to see your carnivorous one. What a fabulous idea!!!

...well guess what?... I've spent the entire day creating that very thing... I'd like to present to you my very first messterpiece of 2016... tadaaa!... my new Carnivorous Terrarium!... first the front and the right hand side views...

DSC00772.JPG DSC00773.JPG

...and now the back view and you can see the original temperature indicator strip that was placed on the bottle in the lab where it used to be with Hydrochloric Acid in it at the time... that really is handy for me to know when I need to water it lol!...

DSC00776.JPG DSC00777.JPG

...and now some close-up's of the plants themselves... there are Venus Fly Traps and various different species of Pitcher Plants... unfortunately Bunnings had no 'Sundew Plants' that I was really hoping to get my hands on so I'm now hunting elsewhere to find one or two...
DSC00780.JPG
DSC00781.JPG

DSC00782.JPG

...and finally where the terrarium now lives... it's next to our Buddha that my darling wife makes sure to rub his tummy to bring her good luck at Bingo each time that she goes lol!... and also near my fibreglass 'Cat' and 'Dog's... (the dog is named 'Cat' and the cat is named 'Dog' just to mess with the grandkids heads... I'm just so evil at times... mauwahahahahah!... lol!)...

DSC00792.JPG

...when you look closely at the bottle the bottom row of pebbles and the soil itself may seem a tad bit too deep which restricts the height for the tall pitcher plants to grow to some but I did that on purpose because I read on a forum that the deeper the bottom row of stones (which store water) and the deeper the soil actually helps the plants survive the cold temperatures of winter because the root systems go deeper to protect themselves from the cold... hence the restrictions on the growing height... I saw a bottle on the Internet where all the tall Pitcher Plants were growing out of the neck of the bottle high into the air... I'm hoping that mine do the same... it looked awesome!... lol!...

...anyhow... that's my first project of 2016 done!... woohoo!... I hope that you all like it... it was such great fun to do... it really was... (I hope that you all had a great New Years night and didn't have too bad a hangover this morning lol!)... cheers.

we went to King's Park in Perth and my grand daughter (aged 3 almost 4...) rode her new bike around the Children's playground etc.

It was bloody hot (35C)...

we went to King's Park in Perth and my grand daughter (aged 3 almost 4...) rode her new bike around the Children's playground etc.

It was bloody hot (35C)...

Kings Park is awesome. I spent most lunch times there, when I worked for GWN in the 90's

Loads of shade there :)

...Happy New Years to all of my friends on this glorious website... you all might recall (last year lol!)... that I did this terrarium and put it up in the '2015 Today I:' forum for all to see... see below... (to see that Terrarium click on the 'expand' tab)...

...in that post I said that I had another 2 bottles and had plans for one of them at least... here's that part of my quote...

...well guess what?... I've spent the entire day creating that very thing... I'd like to present to you my very first messterpiece of 2016... tadaaa!... my new Carnivorous Terrarium!... first the front and the right hand side views...

View attachment 50958 View attachment 50959

...and now the back view and you can see the original temperature indicator strip that was placed on the bottle in the lab where it used to be with Hydrochloric Acid in it at the time... that really is handy for me to know when I need to water it lol!...

View attachment 50960 View attachment 50961

...and now some close-up's of the plants themselves... there are Venus Fly Traps and various different species of Pitcher Plants... unfortunately Bunnings had no 'Sundew Plants' that I was really hoping to get my hands on so I'm now hunting elsewhere to find one or two...
View attachment 50966
View attachment 50967

View attachment 50968

...and finally where the terrarium now lives... it's next to our Buddha that my darling wife makes sure to rub his tummy to bring her good luck at Bingo each time that she goes lol!... and also near my fibreglass 'Cat' and 'Dog's... (the dog is named 'Cat' and the cat is named 'Dog' just to mess with the grandkids heads... I'm just so evil at times... mauwahahahahah!... lol!)...

View attachment 50969

...when you look closely at the bottle the bottom row of pebbles and the soil itself may seem a tad bit too deep which restricts the height for the tall pitcher plants to grow to some but I did that on purpose because I read on a forum that the deeper the bottom row of stones (which store water) and the deeper the soil actually helps the plants survive the cold temperatures of winter because the root systems go deeper to protect themselves from the cold... hence the restrictions on the growing height... I saw a bottle on the Internet where all the tall Pitcher Plants were growing out of the neck of the bottle high into the air... I'm hoping that mine do the same... it looked awesome!... lol!...

...anyhow... that's my first project of 2016 done!... woohoo!... I hope that you all like it... it was such great fun to do... it really was... (I hope that you all had a great New Years night and didn't have too bad a hangover this morning lol!)... cheers.

I love your deck and the Cat and Dog LOL - look so real! Could almost be stuffed animals LOL! Awesome looking Terrarium!

Linking @shaydee :)

PS - Can we have an updated shot of your herb garden?

View attachment 50966
View attachment 50967

View attachment 50968

View attachment 50969

I LOVE it.

Today I found and bought the dvd of 'All quiet on the Western Front'. Loved the book which I've read a couple of times. Has anyone seen the movie and if so, what were your thoughts?

Happy new year everyone and belated merry Christmas.My computer died..RIP
I have had to get set up on hubbies laptop till I get a new one.

Today I started some tomato bredie stew for hubby in the slow cooker,I will have to eat something else
since I stopped eating meat again.

View attachment 50966
View attachment 50967

View attachment 50968

View attachment 50969

That is so awesome Mr Sticky...lets start a garden thread so we can share pictures

View attachment 50966
View attachment 50967

View attachment 50968

View attachment 50969

A carnivorous terrarium! That's pretty bad ass unky sticky!

I love your deck and the Cat and Dog LOL - look so real! Could almost be stuffed animals LOL! Awesome looking Terrarium!

Linking @shaydee :)

PS - Can we have an updated shot of your herb garden?

...sure hooleydooley... no worries... as you may remember the herb garden looked like this back on September 8th (last year lol!) on the day that my sweet darling wife and I revamped it...

new-herb-garden-08-09-015-jpg.49718

...and this is what it looked like on November the 23rd (last year... heehee!) before I gave them a massive haircut to dry a lot of the herbs in my dehydrator machine...

dsc00721-jpg.50711

...and this is it today after having harvested them all 2 or 3 times since the photo above...

DSC00801.JPG

...these are the 'Jalepeno' chillies on the left hand side of the second row that will soon be picked...

DSC00803.JPG

...and these are the 'Hot Thai Chillies' below...all the red ones were removed to be processed into powder and chopped chilli pieces for cooking and also to be used in an insect spray that I want to make... (they were removed early this morning before I took the photos)... that's why there are mainly just green chillies in the photo... I took one of the red 'Hot Thai Chillies' early this morning while harvesting them and bit into it to see how it tasted... I couldn't really taste anything so I took a second bite and then it hit me... my eyes instantly watered... my nose began to run and I broke out into an immediate sweat... IT WAS THE HOTTEST DAMN CHILLI THAT I HAVE EVER EATEN!!!!... MY GOD IT WAS HOT!!!!...

...my sweet loving wife was laughing her head off as I was spitting and sputtering all over the place until she took pity on me and told me to run inside and have some yogurt to take out the hot taste lol!... it worked like a charm God bless her lol!... she saved my life!!!!... (no wonder that I love her so much eh?)... lol!...

DSC00802.JPG

...and finally... as you can see... here are the herbs that I've cultivated and dried in my dehydrator from all of those cuttings... from left to right on the top row... Mint/Continental Parsley/Basil/Common Parsley/Rosemary Leaves and Coriander... on the bottom row from left to right... Dill/Marjoram/Sage/Celery Powder/Rosemary Powder/Peppermint and Thai Basil... the last one is Orange Peel Powder which isn't a Herb of course but when we eat the dried Oranges that I do in my dehydrator we keep some of the rinds of the Oranges to make into powder... it's great to sprinkle into soups or onto salads... we love it... with the overload of herbs I put them into herb jars that my dear sister supplied me and give them to her... she loves it as you can imagine... my brother has some too but he's not really a herb person but his wife loves it too... needless to say... I'm 'mister popularity' with the both of them lol!...

DSC00821.JPG

...the big Coriander bottle was a full container at one stage but because it's one of my favourite herbs it's nearly empty lol!... time to harvest some more when it regrows lol!... in other parts of my garden I had celery growing at one time but that has gone now but other herbs that I have scattered around my garden in various places are Vietnamese Mint/Corsican Mint/2x Bay Leaf bushes in pots/Lavender and Thyme... there may be others but I can't remember them at the moment... well there you have it hooleydooley... I hope that you liked it... cheers.

Oh @Mr Stickyfingers your creations are so cool, and kind of creepy, and pardon my ignorance - how do they get bugs to eat?
Do you have to feed them?
Surely no bugs fly in there?

...the bugs are naturally attracted to the plants because they emit a (methinks) sweet smell to attract them... with the Venus Fly Traps they have 3 little spikes inside their leaves and when a bug walks through them they close shut and the bugs are slowly digested over days or weeks... with the various 'Pitcher Plants' they have a sweet smelling digestive liquid sitting in the base of their urn-like leaves and have little spikey 'hairs' that point downwards inside the 'urns' towards the sweet nectar and when the bug goes downwards to drink it they can't climb back upwards because of the downward facing 'hairs' and then slowly slide downwards into the liquid to slowly rot away to feed the plant... basically... they drown and get digested lol!...

...2 flies and one mosquito that I saw went into the bottle as I was putting it together!!!... I hadn't even got halfway through it and they went in there... I never saw them come out so I guess that they were caught... because the neck of the bottle is pretty small the bugs don't think of flying upwards out of it they just fly around and around the sides of it... when I had finally finished it and was sitting there and having a beer and was admiring my latest 'messterpiece' I saw 2 more flies just walking around the lip of the bottle until they finally crawled inside and start flying around... again... I never saw them come out either... I love it!... natural fly baits lol!... (it's the first time that I was actually wanting to see more flies around) lol!...

I LOVE it.

...thankyou my sweet Khun Khun... much appreciated...

That is so awesome Mr Sticky...lets start a garden thread so we can share pictures

...hahaha!... thankyou Lindsay but I'm not sure if many would bother to look at anything to do with gardening... many people think of gardening as a chore instead of fun to do Lindsay... "aw shit!... I've got to weed the garden beds and whipper snip and mow the bloody lawns!"... I can hear them howling out lol!...

A carnivorous terrarium! That's pretty bad ass unky sticky!

...thanks bleachy my good friend... I have one more big Lab bottle like that one but it's all gnarly and really scratched up... I was thinking of putting in some really ugly sort of plants of some kind to compliment the crappy looking bottle lol!... I don't really know what to put in that one but I'm sooooo open to suggestions lol!... I can't put mean looking Cacti in it because they don't fare well at all in closed steamy environments at all... so as I say... does anyone have any suggestions?... cheers.

Back