Skip to main content

2016 Today I...

Today, I want to share my cousin's birthday present clip. She is a black belt dan, or whatever the best is
MUSIC FOR EVERY WOMAN WHO'S HAD TO FIGHTA NEW VIDEO FROM AUSTRALIAN ARTIST MAGNETS
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-30%20at%2011.48.45%20PM.png

It's the way the men who enter the elevator size up the lone woman already in the carriage before they silently flank her. It's the way the man entering the subway does a double take at the woman standing by the entrance by herself, as he decides what he's going to do to her. It's the way the jilted would-be lover, frustrated at the resistance he's getting, loses any semblance of pleading and grabs the woman he's tangling with by the hair. It's the way another man, on another elevator, presses himself against another woman, also alone, secure as he is in the belief that it's his right to smell her hair and wrap his arm around her neck without a second's hesitation.

These are some of the opening moments in found footage that Melbourne artist Magnets (Siobhan McGinnity) came across in her online search for "women doing karate." That search, which McGinnity says has been her "2AM wormhole for years," due in large part to her own background in martial arts, led to the discovery of videos showing women defending themselves against real-life attackers. As Magnets, McGinnity compiled several of these videos, interspersed between footage of women and girls practicing karate in gyms and competitions, and made them the video to her latest song, "Fight." Lovers of feminist revenge films, this one's for you.

One of the most personally remarkable things, watching this video, was that no matter how many times the horrifying scenes of assault on the screen ended with an attacker curled in the fetal position or knocked out cold in an elevator, I never believed the next one would end happily. Sexual abuse is so normalized, and female vengance and escape is so rare, that I simply could not fathom that humanity would be allowed an entire video in which every single woman wins the day. With "Fight," Magnets put her finger on the pulse of the feminist revenge fantasy, but she also twinged the deeply internalized social message that watching a lone woman out-fight, out-maneuver, and just BEAT one or more male attackers is jarring and unrealistic. There's as much to be learned from watching women win as there is to be learned from realizing that we, the viewers, might have been expecting them to lose.

https://bitchmedia.org/article/music-every-woman-whos-had-fight/magnets-fight

These are real life attacks interspersed with women doing karate.
2 of my sisters survived horrendous attacks, they fought, one lost a tooth, one had to have knee reconstruction, both has something inside die on those fateful horrible nights.
Dedicate this post to my sisters,
Watch it is genius.

Very powerful video. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm truly sorry that two of your sisters went through something that horrific.

Reactions: kxk
It is a masterpiece in my opinion, the music is wonderful, the clip editing is remarkable.

My lovely cousin sent it, she is awesome has the highest karate belt and kicks arse.

And how freaky that my family proves the statistic, 1 in 3 women are attacked, 6 girls we had.
Careful, considerate females, who never worn anything remotely sexy or provocative.
One attack 3 doors from home, not even an unsafe burb, he went on to murder that night.
The other attack, she was abducted from a busy road.
I never walk on footpaths at night, you are safer in the middle of the road, creeps lurk in bushes/in drive ways etc.

It is a masterpiece in my opinion, the music is wonderful, the clip editing is remarkable.

My lovely cousin sent it, she is awesome has the highest karate belt and kicks arse.

And how freaky that my family proves the statistic, 1 in 3 women are attacked, 6 girls we had.
Careful, considerate females, who never worn anything remotely sexy or provocative.
One attack 3 doors from home, not even an unsafe burb, he went on to murder that night.
The other attack, she was abducted from a busy road.
I never walk on footpaths at night, you are safer in the middle of the road, creeps lurk in bushes/in drive ways etc.

scary stuff.

Went to a shopping centre.

Didn't do anything good.

Because I never do or have done anything good this year for anyone reading this thread.

Today I bought a Xmas stamp (yes. late.) And it said 'joy'.
upload_2016-12-21_19-34-57.png
...Joy. JOY. JOY. Oh ******** JOY. Spread the JOYYYYYYY! :roflmao:

Saw a fishy fish. Oh how fishy was that fish? Very fishy indeed! I will have to keep my eye out on that fish. That fishy fish.

Back