Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

@Mrs Butterface I'm not looking for signs that it's doing badly but I am pointing out that viewership is on a very strong and steady decline as the season progresses.

Reactions: kxk
People don't seem to realise that this is important. It's important! I highly doubt Nine were expecting it to rate a million screening at 8.40 or 9pm starts or a 9.30 one like last night. For it's slot, it's doing quite well. Argh.
haha yeah, that's why I figured I'd post the shows that beat it in total viewers last night. I probably should've been doing that from the start because obviously people are just looking at the numbers and aren't looking at the whole picture. It's not like there was something else on FTA that people were watching instead of BB. IT WON ITS TIMESLOT!!!

haha I love how we all come up with ways to defend the figures even when they drop so low. Fair enough it keeps winning it's time slot, but that HUGE drop from 60 mins to BB make it crystal clear to the network that people are turning off when BB comes on. They know it's a poor performer and will be looking at other things for next year.

haha I love how we all come up with ways to defend the figures even when they drop so low. Fair enough it keeps winning it's time slot, but that HUGE drop from 60 mins to BB make it crystal clear to the network that people are turning off when BB comes on. They know it's a poor performer and will be looking at other things for next year.

The Block KIDZ

in Minecraft

@IRT5 The numbers I was quoting were the ones redjet posted as he doesn't adjust when posting the consolidated #s. If BB drops with the overnights, so does everything else. With your numbers BB actually gained more with the consolidated figures than what was posted in here. Even better!

No the other shows don't lose numbers - just Big Brother; its the only one that falls and by significant numbers. It's 9 that isn't putting the correct start/finish times into the EPG.

If that's the rationale we're going with then it's crystal clear that people are turning off EVERYTHING in that timeslot and luckily for Ch 9 they have the show that more people will stick around and watch than anything else. If they can't stay up and watch it, they're recording it. Isn't that what you want as a network and an advertiser?

The people watching 60 minutes won't be watching BB.

This season has no structure. Start time is always changing, Channel is always changing. And with no live updates there's no flow from one episode to another.

No the other shows don't lose numbers - just Big Brother; its the only one that falls and by significant numbers. It's 9 that isn't putting the correct start/finish times into the EPG.

On Sunday the 14th, BB's overnight numbers were 432k. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/09/sunday-14-september-2014.html

Also reported in this thread by redjet:

"Sunday, 14th September 2014

Overnight viewers: 432,000
Ranked in total people: 17

Demographics:
Not in top 5 in all demos."

Its ACTUAL overnight viewers were 602k. An increase of 170k. With consolidated #s it jumped to 708k. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/09/timeshifted-sunday-14-september-2014.html

Again, where is BB losing numbers let alone significant ones?

If that's the rationale we're going with then it's crystal clear that people are turning off EVERYTHING in that timeslot and luckily for Ch 9 they have the show that more people will stick around and watch than anything else. If they can't stay up and watch it, they're recording it. Isn't that what you want as a network and an advertiser?
Yeah but betworks also want new, fresh shows that get people talking. which has worked the last 2 years but not this year, and from nines POV, I think they would want to move on. (typical nine, they've milked this cow) I do hope not though.

On Sunday the 14th, BB's overnight numbers were 432k. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/09/sunday-14-september-2014.html

Also reported in this thread by redjet:

"Sunday, 14th September 2014

Overnight viewers: 432,000
Ranked in total people: 17

Demographics:
Not in top 5 in all demos."

Its ACTUAL overnight viewers were 602k. An increase of 170k. With consolidated #s it jumped to 708k. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/09/timeshifted-sunday-14-september-2014.html

Again, where is BB losing numbers let alone significant ones?

The number you quoted from this thread is a number that did not include Melbourne because Nine made a mistake in the coding the show. The preliminary number, including Melbourne turned out to be 645,000 as was also reported in this thread. But when the real number was released it was actually 602,000 a drop of 43,000.

The thing that keeps commercial TV ticking over is advertising revenue. Winning its time slot doesnt mean a lot, when only 558,000 people watch. If the consolidated figures take into account the people who record it and watch it later, at their own convenience, they AREN'T likely to be watching the ads, so are of no real value to the advertisers.

NRL Grand Final is on Sunday.

In Melbourne, Big Brother stars at 6.30 on Sunday on GO according to my TV guide

I apologise.. I seriously don't know where to ask this question so I'm posting here...
So the Executive Producers are Alex and Chris, right?
But why do we never really hear of/from Chris? It's all Alex, Alex, Alex.
Is there some sort of role separation/behind the scenes info I don't know? I'm a long term BB supporter but have never really followed this part of it all. Thanks anyone who can help!

The number you quoted from this thread is a number that did not include Melbourne because Nine made a mistake in the coding the show. The preliminary number, including Melbourne turned out to be 645,000 as was also reported in this thread. But when the real number was released it was actually 602,000 a drop of 43,000.
Ok but so then it still jumped considerably with consolidated figures... over 100k! I'm one of the people who has been banging on that networks care about demos while there's this knee jerk reaction each morning and insistence to still focus on overall viewing numbers so I'm playing along in here. BB got higher ratings on Sept 14th 2014 on a supposedly shit station with a shit product than 15 episodes did in 2008 and one of those was a Sunday show. Why people are trying to compare numbers from 6 years ago from a network that ditched the franchise because in those days the #s didn't warrant keeping it on while now times have drastically changed is beyond me!

Just to reiterate...

Consolidated numbers for Sunday September 21st

Originally reported overnights: 667k

Actual overnights: 605k

Consolidated: 707k

Increase of 102k from actual overnights to consolidated

The same night, The Block Original to Actual Overnights dropped 4k, 60 Minutes dropped by 21k. Ch Nine messing with the start times is creating a trickle down effect with the overnight numbers but people are still watching BB and recording it to watch later. 707k is great!

Last edited:
Back