Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

I just don't understand why they slap 60 minutes in between The Block and BB - surely putting 60 mins at 6.30pm and letting The Block and BB follow at roughly the same times as other nights (give or take half an hour) makes more sense - or at least airing BB after the Block and leaving 60 minutes till 9.30pm.

I wonder how the advertisers get their heads around the changes from overnight to corrected overnight to consolidated numbers.

Does the advertising world move so slowly that they are prepared to wait a week before making their decisions where to place their ads?

How do they reconcile the sometimes wildly erroneous overnight numbers or do they just ignore them?

I wonder how the advertisers get their heads around the changes from overnight to corrected overnight to consolidated numbers.

Does the advertising world move so slowly that they are prepared to wait a week before making their decisions where to place their ads?

How do they reconcile the sometimes wildly erroneous overnight numbers or do they just ignore them?
They are even slower than that.

Advertisers look back on SERIES AVERAGE and then decide for the following series. It's not a week to week thing.

Monday, 29th September 2014 - Surprise Eviction

Overnight viewers: 735,000
Ranked in total people: 14

Demographics:
25-54 #4
18-49 #2
16-39 #2

For BB to start at 8.45pm and still beat XF in 2/3 demos is seriously impressive.
I also note that the show is the number 1 timeshifted show every night - translation: more people are watching it but not in the timeslot.

For BB to start at 8.45pm and still beat XF in 2/3 demos is seriously impressive.
I also note that the show is the number 1 timeshifted show every night - translation: more people are watching it but not in the timeslot.

This gives me hope they will indeed shift it back to its previous timeslot when the beast, the Block, is finally over.

I'll have to pull you up on that claim about being number one consolidated show - I can only recall twice that that has been the case (including yesterday). Usually it's nowhere near number one - Sunday it was sixth.

The ratings are so difficult to follow. ie. last night their total figures increased but their demos dropped heaps. And it happens vice versa too.

Are they gonna tow the line "we're #1 when not many people watch TV" ?

If they opened bb up internationally and had a way people could buy a subscription I am sure they could get more money/audience. Why don't they? So weird. What benefit do they get limiting it to Australia only? And people wonder why piracy is so prominent...

It's 2014 - let's get this shit online and away from scheduled programming - we aren't animals.

I would be willing to pay a decent amount - especially if they stopped brought back live feeds.

If they opened bb up internationally and had a way people could buy a subscription I am sure they could get more money/audience. Why don't they? So weird. What benefit do they get limiting it to Australia only? And people wonder why piracy is so prominent...

I would be willing to pay a decent amount - especially if they stopped brought back live feeds.

It does make a lot of sense what you are saying, but the thing is Commercial television is old media and they are a dying breed, who refuse to accept that the internet is the future and it seems they are more than happy to bury their head in the sand rather than do what you are suggesting.

It's 2014 - let's get this shit online and away from scheduled programming - we aren't animals.

Considering the source of this comment.......:hilarious:

Commercial tv is about exactly that, commercials. BB AU advertisements are specifically tailor made for an Australian audience and since not all sponsors are international there's no financial incentive for the producers to make it available world wide.

Commercial tv is about exactly that, commercials. BB AU advertisements are specifically tailor made for an Australian audience and since not all sponsors are international there's no financial incentive for the producers to make it available world wide.

From memory, when I used a proxy and watched via the website last year there where no ads..? Or maybe there was and I just didn't notice because I didn't care.

Anyway, is there any financial incentive not to? Who cares if Onafur Bjanarsonan from Iceland sees your irrelevant KFC ad... by default content is available to anyone with an internet connection, but they went out of their way to actually block content from non Aus IP's and that is why I am confused as to the motive.

And if they do it online it is super super easy to have geographically relevant ads - in fact, it is already an internet standard.

Well, you have Endemol in the Netherlands to blame for that, and more widely the entire TV industry.

Endemol NL created the Big Brother format back in 1999 and own the rights to it. They sell the rights to recreate that format to individual countries. In the case of Australia the rights were sold to Southern Star Endemol (now just called Endemol Australia).

Endemol NL only sell the rights on condition that it be used within a limited area (usually one country), so that they can sell the format to as many countries as possible.

Channel 9 are restricted by this requirement, but regardless they don't want to broadcast over the internet to other countries anyway - just in case they're able to sell their show to another market (for example, how they sell BBAU to New Zealand even though it's months late).

Channel 9 is too white-haired to consider any type of international delivery system with geo-relevant ads. They're dying media and really have no idea about how the internet works. Jump In is proof of that.

Well, you have Endemol in the Netherlands to blame for that, and more widely the entire TV industry.

Endemol NL created the Big Brother format back in 1999 and own the rights to it. They sell the rights to recreate that format to individual countries. In the case of Australia the rights were sold to Southern Star Endemol (now just called Endemol Australia).

Endemol NL only sell the rights on condition that it be used within a limited area (usually one country), so that they can sell the format to as many countries as possible.

Channel 9 are restricted by this requirement, but regardless they don't want to broadcast over the internet to other countries anyway - just in case they're able to sell their show to another market (for example, how they sell BBAU to New Zealand even though it's months late).

Channel 9 is too white-haired to consider any type of international delivery system with geo-relevant ads. They're dying media and really have no idea about how the internet works. Jump In is proof of that.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is exactly what I was looking for; some sort of vaguely logical explanation. Cheers.

And I don't know why ch9 think selling a format like Big Brother months late to us will ever be successful. This isn't the 90's...

Ah well - like I say, I have no problem stealing media if I am not given a legal option (besides moving to Aus hahah) Means I can't watch the additional content like "live" feeds though... no one bothers uploading those :(

Ah well - like I say said:
eans I can't watch the additional content like "live" feeds though... no one bothers uploading those [/B]:(
There is nothing to upload this season.
No live feeds unfortunately :(

Consolidated - Monday, 22nd September 2014 (Monday Night Live #2)

Original: 670,000
Consolidated: 712,000

Up 42,000.

From memory, when I used a proxy and watched via the website last year there where no ads..? .
I visited the O/S site a handful of times to check it out and every time I tried to watch an episode there I was bombarded with ads so I dunno may be you stumbled upon a glitch that accidentally overrode the ads?

Anyway, is there any financial incentive not to? Who cares if Onafur Bjanarsonan from Iceland sees your irrelevant KFC ad... by default content is available to anyone with an internet connection, but they went out of their way to actually block content from non Aus IP's and that is why I am confused as to the motive.

And if they do it online it is super super easy to have geographically relevant ads - in fact, it is already an internet standard.
That sounds too much like common sense, a tv exec would be fired for espousing such nonsense. ;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is exactly what I was looking for; some sort of vaguely logical explanation.
Who said anything about networks being 'logical'? :pompus:

Look I'm as perplexed as you are as to why BB AU producers stubbornly make it difficult for overseas people to access BBAU content, I was just throwing a few possible reasons out there that could explain their stance.

Although it appears Tim has touched on the possible reasons as to why they go out of their way to make it difficult, it's in their contract to restrict the availability within their local area.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is exactly what I was looking for; some sort of vaguely logical explanation. Cheers.

And I don't know why ch9 think selling a format like Big Brother months late to us will ever be successful. This isn't the 90's...

Ah well - like I say, I have no problem stealing media if I am not given a legal option (besides moving to Aus hahah) Means I can't watch the additional content like "live" feeds though... no one bothers uploading those :(

Take a tip, if you think of coming to Australia, DON'T come by boat.

Back