Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

On these figures, yes it will be back.
If Ch 9 doesn't bring it back with how well it's doing in the demos even in such a shit timeslot, then we can safely say they had made that decision well before this season had started and nothing would've changed their minds. DWTS pulls in all those viewers last night and yet can't manage to crack the top 5 in any of the three demos but the public will rave it's such a hit show lol. High #s don't mean a thing if your advertisers are paying big $ for their products to be shown to targeted demographics and your show is failing to deliver them.

If Ch 9 doesn't bring it back with how well it's doing in the demos even in such a shit timeslot, then we can safely say they had made that decision well before this season had started and nothing would've changed their minds. DWTS pulls in all those viewers last night and yet can't manage to crack the top 5 in any of the three demos but the public will rave it's such a hit show lol. High #s don't mean a thing if your advertisers are paying big $ for their products to be shown to targeted demographics and your show is failing to deliver them.
Yeah DWTS would skew fairly old I would think.

Yeah DWTS would skew fairly old I would think.
And see, I still have never understood why the silver foxes would enjoy that show. Fair enough I struggle to understand why anyone would but most of the people they put on are younger D to Z listers with the one or two token older stars of yesteryear thrown in. I honestly don't get what the appeal would be to that generation. At least they're not grabbing the important demos from BB so I guess it's better BB has DWTS to compete against than something else.

And see, I still have never understood why the silver foxes would enjoy that show. Fair enough I struggle to understand why anyone would but most of the people they put on are younger D to Z listers with the one or two token older stars of yesteryear thrown in. I honestly don't get what the appeal would be to that generation. At least they're not grabbing the important demos from BB so I guess it's better BB has DWTS to compete against than something else.

Its about the only show Bert Newton hasnt been on.

I think there's a greater appreciation for dancing in those demographics. It also strikes me as one of those shows that's easy for people of those demos to just sit down and watch, and maybe have on in the background.

DWTS had more people in the 25-54 demo watching than Big Brother (and for a longer time).

Wednesday, 1st October 2014 - Intruder Special

Overnight viewers: 658,000
Ranked in total people: 14

Demographics:
25-54 (not in the top 5)
18-49 #3
16-39 #3

Lat night
25-54 #8

Last week overnight number adjusted down to 594,000
Consolidated 669,000
Increase 75,000 12.7% 8th most timeshifted program

Analysis of Big Brother’s ratings reveal the reality of the show’s fortunes this year

752680-531079ca-49ce-11e4-93fc-034ed4e7c660.jpg

Reality of the ratings ... how is Big Brother really doing in the ratings this year? It’s good news and bad news for Nine. Picture: Supplied Source: Channel 9

BIG BROTHER is tanking in the ratings and running the risk of being dead in the water just a month in, if you believe some commentators.
But what’s really happening behind the numbers of the long-running reality series?
For creators of the franchise and the network that airs it, it’s a case of both good news and bad news.
750783-2f7a882a-49ce-11e4-93fc-034ed4e7c660.jpg

Viewers down ... the ratings for Big Brother this year have slid since the launch night, but there’s more to it than that. Picture: Supplied Source: Channel 9
The bad news is, the ratings for Big Brother have slid since the launch episode on September 8 drew in 1.06 million people across the major capital cities.
Weeknight episodes are now averaging between 600,000 and 700,000 metropolitan viewers, and that’s a noticeable loss.

But the other side of the coin is that this typically happens — it did last year and in the later years when the show was on Network Ten.
Launches bring in big numbers, then things dip and even out, before a resurgence during the middle and end stages of the season.
And it’s worth keeping in mind that the show’s timeslot is more than an hour later than in 2013.
750811-28ac2b98-49ce-11e4-93fc-034ed4e7c660.jpg

Demographic winner ... Big Brother is performing strongly with its sought-after target audience, which is good news for Nine. Picture: Supplied Source: Channel 9

It’s true that the numbers Big Brother is pulling so far are down on last year, when around 800,000 metropolitan viewers on average tuned in each night.
On particularly good outings in 2013, that viewership would climb to 900,000 or 1 million.
So, the current year isn’t doing quite as well — but there are some positives for Channel Nine.

For one, the average audience of all the shows that have aired so far is 718,000 metropolitan viewers so Big Brother is still in the neighbourhood, just a slightly different house.
Of the 21 episodes that have aired so far this year, nearly half of those have won the timeslot for Nine in total audience terms.
752758-5afb38fa-49ce-11e4-93fc-034ed4e7c660.jpg

Winning its timeslot ... Big Brother airs more than an hour later this year and is doing relatively well in its later slot. Picture: Supplied Source: Channel 9
In the show’s key demographic targets — those eyeballs that advertisers really want to reach — Big Brother has been the number two program of the night more often than not.
And the show that beat it to number one on those occasions was The Block Glasshouse, so it’s win-win for Nine.
Big Brother has never been out of the top five programs of the night with its prime market, which is a solid result.
752784-dec68bec-49df-11e4-93fc-034ed4e7c660.jpg

Not all dire ... Big Brother so far this year is down but not dead and still hitting its target. Picture: Supplied Source: News Corp Australia
Plus, the people watching Channel Nine at the time of night Big Brother is on has risen by nearly four per cent compared to last year.
Then there’s the numbers on catch-up website Jump-In — between 100,000 and 150,000 views each day.
It’s not drop-dead fantastic, but it’s hardly as woeful a situation as many make out either.
Big Brother airs on Channel Nine at 8.40pm.

*Ratings cited are overnight metropolitan figures from OzTam

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...rtunes-this-year/story-fn8yvfst-1227077752812

"the average audience of all the shows that have aired so far is 718,000 metropolitan viewers "
"Ratings cited are overnight metropolitan figures from OzTam"

The trouble with the article is that the numbers aren't right. There is no combination of ratings that produces the above number - even if you leave out Fridays, leave out Thursday's split show, leave out the last 2 nights (assume it was written after Monday's eviction) you still don't get as high as that number.

"the average audience of all the shows that have aired so far is 718,000 metropolitan viewers "
"Ratings cited are overnight metropolitan figures from OzTam"

The trouble with the article is that the numbers aren't right. There is no combination of ratings that produces the above number - even if you leave out Fridays, leave out Thursday's split show, leave out the last 2 nights (assume it was written after Monday's eviction) you still don't get as high as that number.
I used the adjusted overnights that are available so far other than the two Fridays as they're not showing on the tvtonight site for BB and the average came to 715k. I used exact numbers but maybe the adjusted overnights are what they used and instead just used rounded daily figures to get that extra 3k?

IRT5; welcome to the world of lies, lies and statistics. It's what the media is made of - take a figure, double it, minus 200% of "distracted female householders"; reduce over heat for 40 minutes; and wa-lah; ratings!!

Maaaaannny years ago worked in radio advertising sales - yep, I sold "air"; best job in the world lol -- you twist whatever you can to make budget; that's exactly what Nein are doing now. :)

"Then there’s the numbers on catch-up website Jump-In — between 100,000 and 150,000 views each day.
It’s not drop-dead fantastic, but it’s hardly as woeful a situation as many make out either."

I wouldnt believe anything that the Jump-In site said. Its in their interests to talk the show up and inflate the figures. Cynical, moi?

"Then there’s the numbers on catch-up website Jump-In — between 100,000 and 150,000 views each day.
It’s not drop-dead fantastic, but it’s hardly as woeful a situation as many make out either."

I wouldnt believe anything that the Jump-In site said. Its in their interests to talk the show up and inflate the figures. Cynical, moi?
Have seen posts in this thread saying even "catchup", or similar - sorry, not sure of terminology - has to be done pre-2am to count in "prime" numbers.

Jump-In; Nine's own "suite" of "catchup" can't even/won't even post last night's eps before what, 7,8,9 the next morning??? How in HELL is that considered "bolstering" ratings? At that stage, we're out of the competition, and waiting for the 1500m result.

Have seen posts in this thread saying even "catchup", or similar - sorry, not sure of terminology - has to be done pre-2am to count in "prime" numbers.

Jump-In; Nine's own "suite" of "catchup" can't even/won't even post last night's eps before what, 7,8,9 the next morning??? How in HELL is that considered "bolstering" ratings? At that stage, we're out of the competition, and waiting for the 1500m result.
The 2am refers to people who record it on their Foxtel IQ or Tivo or whatever and then watch it later. If they watch their recorded episode before 2am it goes into overnights... if they watch it later that week it goes into consolidated. Those are the numbers that go into the official ratings either the next day or a week :)

I suspect the reference to Jump-In is more just to point out that there are many watching online either because they don't have a digital recorder, don't want to wait for the replay on Go or because they're overseas and using a proxy and yet all those people aren't accounted for anywhere in the ratings figures. Although OzTam has said they're trialing a system now with the view of looking to include them in the future.

Last edited:
Ah; now it makes sense why 9 waits until the last possible second before uploading an ep (that, and they're too cheap to pay 4am rates to someone when it could be done at 8am...). But still; why the ghost our "terrestrial" networks aren't pushing for a change to "ratings" calculations is beyond me and my tiny little cyber mind...

Thanks Mrs B; the hexa-just-became-a-quadrangle.

@Ayr I didn't even realise until you just said it that 9 were waiting that late to upload episodes. I know with Ten for instance, there were several times I'd missed Masterchef and Offspring this year and they'd upload them soon after they finished airing in the western states, so usually around 12-1am. It's funny because I watched that interview Luke Blundell did with Mike Goldman tonight and Mike pointed out how for the many today (especially teens and tweens), tv is just a box that sits in their lounge room. They prefer to watch tv online when it's convenient so they can chat online to friends who are watching it too. Basically a virtual viewing party scheduled when they want; not at the mercy of the network or all of them having to own a digital recorder. And yet none of those virtual viewers are being accounted for whether with BB or any other show here. I've watched several complete series of things on iView for example and I know that site is popular with so many others yet none of that counts for squat. It just doesn't make sense in 2014.

Back