Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

Aye, @Mrs Butterface; it's painful. I've resorted to the T word... have to - working 1pm to 8, 9, midnight most nights; so I miss the beauty that is FTA. I *want* to use Jump-In (as dirty as that makes me feel); but I *can't* - because the eps simply aren't there to watch.

If 9 had a single clue about ratings, or even ratings manipulation, they wouldn't wait until the intern in charge of uploads arrived at HQ each day (and I worked there for a period as an IT contractor, so I think I have at least a glimpse of how the "tech" crew midtown operates) to actually get that shit up on the web.

If "official site" views don't count in ratings, then with little analysis, advertisers are being ripped off -- but yeah; "traditional media" (been part of it most of my life, as a journo, sales rep, then into IT/backend ops) is utterly doomed. Makes me depressed that even someone with the title "Executive Producer" can't put together a single-page, bullet point presentation about "future media" and have it not be laughed at.

So, we torrent; and advertising revenue goes down. Off to bed now; with my pirate ep 21, and softmodded AppleTV gen 1. Sorry 9; would've watched if I could've.

Oh shit; just realised my previous post exposed me as ... a Mumbian... if ever so briefly... lol.

Also; as an example; my fractured work/sleep schedule - finished work last night at 11pm; hit up jump-in at 11.30pm; nada except the previous night's episode. This season is so enthralling that even my usually prompt T sources decided to, um, wait a bit - so at 2.30am (AEST), with still no update on jump-in, and no T, went to bed.
Woke (unexpectedly, thanks Boo-cat for the "I want FISH" arrival on my head...) at 6.50am. Got up, had a coffee, checked jump-in. Still no ep. But, there was a T. Downloaded. Went back to bed. Watched noms ep feat. not much intruder. Fell asleep actually halfway through pointsgiving; woke up at 11am. Holy crap; jump-in has the actual, 12-hours behind ep. Approx 7 hours behind an "illegal" form of media who doesn't have a vested interest in disseminating the content.

Apols for derailing the pureness of the thread; but it frustrates me no end that not only are channels "bound" by traditional "sources" of revenue; but they pick their content based on outmoded measures of popularity.

Holy crap; jump-in has the actual, 12-hours behind ep. Approx 7 hours behind an "illegal" form of media who doesn't have a vested interest in disseminating the content.
The jump-in website says in it's FAQ: http://www.jump-in.com.au/faq/#web1

"How soon can I watch a show, and how much time do I have to watch it?
We put shows on 9jumpin as soon as we’re allowed to. We always wait for the shows to air on TV around the country and some states will see a particular program hours later than elsewhere. Usually by midday the day after airing you’ll find them online. How long programs remain available on the site varies but we list the expiry date next to the season and episode number."

Which is pretty stupid. You'd think a decent content delivery could actually have the episodes uploaded with a field to denote a time & date from which it is automatically available. That way it can be processed/compressed and ready, and automatically published.

Though I guess if they made it reasonable, they fear that it might encourage people to NOT watch FTA and rely on catch-up TV, pushing the ratings that count downward (perhaps a reasonable assumption).

Thursday, 2nd October 2014 - Daily Show

Nine
Overnight viewers: Not in the top 20

Rated lower than 530,000 viewers.

GO!
Overnight viewers: Not in the top 20

Rated lower than 199,000 viewers.

Total viewers: Don't know

The ratings for last night were abominable. That's really the only word I can think of to describe them. The ratings pretty much sum up the show this year. Thank god it's only 80 days.
I've missed your flip flopping about in the ratings thread this year Miki x

The ratings for last night were abominable. That's really the only word I can think of to describe them. The ratings pretty much sum up the show this year. Thank god it's only 80 days.
If the people who stopped watching are anything like me, they decided to stop watching it every night as it comes out, when Sonia was commentating over silent footage of Lisa and Leo together. Absolutely terrible TV, and I know a friend and myself decided to stop watching them at night and just watch them on the Jump In website the next day because of fewer ads.

If the people who stopped watching are anything like me, they decided to stop watching it every night as it comes out, when Sonia was commentating over silent footage of Lisa and Leo together. Absolutely terrible TV, and I know a friend and myself decided to stop watching them at night and just watch them on the Jump In website the next day because of fewer ads.

That had to be the absolute worst TV that I have ever seen in my house, as a result now when Sonia is talking in any episode I'm going to walk away and return when the bad lady stops! I don't know what's worse though, her ad-libbing or the writing that they're giving her to read, it's all so painful. It's like someone scratching a blackboard with their finger nails!

That had to be the absolute worst TV that I have ever seen in my house, as a result now when Sonia is talking in any episode I'm going to walk away and return when the bad lady stops! I don't know what's worse though, her ad-libbing or the writing that they're giving her to read, it's all so painful. It's like someone scratching a blackboard with their finger nails!
I don't think we can blame Sonia in this case. It was the producers decision to not show footage and instead get Sonia to ad-lib through it. Like, what can you do as Sonia? She's just as much in the dark as us in that situation haha

That article in the Herald Sun is an interesting one. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea for it originated from this thread.

The writer Shannon Molloy is a press-release republisher and has ripped off heaps of stories from Behind Big Brother this year without attribution.

That article in the Herald Sun is an interesting one. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea for it originated from this thread.

The writer Shannon Molloy is a press-release republisher and has ripped off heaps of stories from Behind Big Brother this year without attribution.
Well I'm glad SOMEONE is listening. Lol ;)

I don't think we can blame Sonia in this case. It was the producers decision to not show footage and instead get Sonia to ad-lib through it. Like, what can you do as Sonia? She's just as much in the dark as us in that situation haha

It did show however how unsuitable she is for live television. You need a host who can thank and speak on their feet and fill dead air. Sonia clearly cannot do this.

It did show however how unsuitable she is for live television. You need a host who can thank and speak on their feet and fill dead air. Sonia clearly cannot do this.

Thats where Gretel was better, I think she had a history of stand up comedy. They have to be quick witted, to cope with the drunk halfwits. I thought she was anti-men in her interviews, but I would much rather watch her version than the sanitised version we get from Sonia. Sonia ought to be quick with a quip, being on radio, but its a skill she doesnt possess.

With the rumours that Big Brother may not get The Block's time slot, there's a fair chance that the ratings will continue to plummet. Wait for next week though, we will have the house's "biggest shake-up yet".

With the rumours that Big Brother may not get The Block's time slot, there's a fair chance that the ratings will continue to plummet. Wait for next week though, we will have the house's "biggest shake-up yet".
The ratings aren't plummeting though. This Thursday's overnight ratings between 9 and Go = 444k. Last week 405k. Both nights had a special Grand Final footy show to deal with and yet they still improved.

Back