Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

maggot007

Formerly redjet93
Post figures of this years series when they become available in this thread.

What do we think that the figures will be like with the later start time?

I reckon for Launch Night figures may be up slightly, because less competition and late night tv drifters. IM predicting (hopefully) 1 400 000 million or 1 390 000, close to last year. For the Tuesday live show pretty much around 1 200 000 and after that staying at 900 000 for the season with the low being 700-600k. Demos will top as usual.

I think you are being a bit generous there @milo-bbau I'm predicting 1.0 -1.2 million for the launch, then probably anywhere from 600,000-900,000 for the rest of the season. I think this year we should keep an eye on the timeshiffting numbers. I think a lot of people won't want to watch it so late and will record it to watch it the next day.

Ok, a few important things to note about our ratings system (especially for OS viewers who might scratch their heads at what might seem small numbers...).

Australia is a relatively small country (population) compared with the UK and the US. Also, the ratings reported in this thread come from OzTam who do not measure the whole population, rather just the 5 main capital city regions.

This link shows a map of the areas covered by OzTam:
http://www.oztam.com.au/documents/other/OzTAM Metro Total TV Coverage Map - Updated 151011.pdf

You will see that the little greeny splotches are are relatively small geographical survey size, however these areas are the largest audiences/population in Australia. So when a show is reported to have a million viewers, it means a million viewers out of those 5 greeny splotches, not out of Australia's ~22ish million.

The population covered by OzTam is 15.8 million individuals which is about 72% of the population.

The rest of Australia is covered by 'Regional Tam' and 'Nielsen Media Research Australia.' Results aren't easily available online for regular punters.

In this thread, the results to be posted here daily are based on live or as live viewing. Which means the program had to be watched by 2am the following morning to be counted (whether live or via PVR).

Consolidated figures come out later (following week) and account for people watching on PVR later than 2am the next day (some time over the following week).

In terms of online viewing; this is from the OzTam website:
What are OzTAM's plans for TV viewing on devices other than the conventional TV?
OzTAM is currently in the implementation phase of metering desktop and laptop PCs (Windows/Mac) as well as television sets within panel homes to capture viewing of TV broadcast-related content. OzTAM is also developing processing systems and options for future reporting. As at July 2013, approximately 15 per cent of OzTAM panel homes had both their in-home TVs and PCs metered. The PC meters capture viewing via the PC of TV broadcast-related content, such as catch-up TV or TV streamed live via an internet connection or a tuner card.

This data comes from within those greeny splotches using a sample population of 3500 homes. These homes are supposed to be a reflection of the whole areas so I am certain that they have a range of different sized homes and I know that multiple televisions within a house are also counted. Apparently even visitors who watch television in a sample home are also counted.

I am just an interested 'ratings-watcher' not a professional by any means, so what I am saying is based on my own interest and research. I could be slightly wrong in my understanding but this is what I have been able to gather.

Note: I am not an OzTam subscriber and do not have a box in my home.

http://www.oztam.com.au/TheOzTAMPanel.aspx

The OzTAM panel
Households are recruited to OzTAM’s metropolitan panel via a large-scale Establishment Survey, administered by Nielsen TAM, that defines the population to be represented and its characteristics. This survey is carried out continually and involves thousands of interviews each year.

The survey selection process is random and every private residential household in OzTAM’s coverage area has a chance of being chosen for interview. Panel homes are then selected from the survey respondents.

The household recruitment process is carefully managed to ensure the panel is an accurate representation of the overall population OzTAM provides data for.

The panel’s characteristics are also continually monitored against external benchmarks, such as Australian Bureau of Statistics data, and households are turned over periodically.

There is a panel for each of OzTAM’s five metropolitan markets, comprising a total of 3,500 homes:

• Sydney: 950 homes
  • Melbourne: 900
  • Brisbane: 650
  • Adelaide: 500
  • Perth: 500

There is also a panel for the National Subscription TV market comprised of 1,413 Subscription TV homes drawn from the metropolitan and Regional TAM services.

In terms of panel size relative to the overall population, OzTAM’s panel is among the world’s largest.

The maximum period of time that a household stays on the OzTAM panel is four years. Panel homes may elect to leave the service at any time and OzTAM replaces panel households as required to maintain statistically robust reporting.

Yeyes agreed
I think you are being a bit generous there @milo-bbau I'm predicting 1.0 -1.2 million for the launch, then probably anywhere from 600,000-900,000 for the rest of the season. I think this year we should keep an eye on the timeshiffting numbers. I think a lot of people won't want to watch it so late and will record it to watch it the next day.

yes agreed maybe its just hope *glimmer in eye*, but yeah your probably right

Thanks for sharing that; I always wondered how they did it, given the TV watching habits in this house?

I always figured that the numbers were unreliable....

Hell I play games on my tablet when the ads are on and keep one eye on it when the ads are not on.

heads up, I probably wont have time to do graphs and stuff this year, so if someone wants to start work on it you wont be stepping on any turf

predicting just 1m for launch night, I think the later tine slot will hurt us and audience will drop off later so will bring the avg down.

Something to keep in mind when looking at this season's ratings. Yes, numbers will almost certainly be down as a result of the later time slot, so comparisons with previous years may look grim. The key point when analysing the ratings for this year will be: is Big Brother contributing to Nine having a strong mid to late evening share and thus helping Nine win nights? If the answer to that as yes, as well as getting strong demos, Nine will be very happy.

In recent weeks / months ratings have been down across the board this year. Lower than last year winter ratings. So expect lower. Even the ever popular 6pm news bulletins have taken a hit.

Ok here we go. Ratings should be out in the next hour.

I am predicting somewhere between 850k - 900k reaching the 1.0mil in consolidated, time-shifted numbers. Probably #2 in all demos behind Block.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Can I make a sincere request? Can we please keep the "I'm calling it ... Last season" type posts out of this thread, at least for a few weeks.

Advertisers DO NOT look to buy advertising based on one episode's total people result. They look at the series average, but more importantly -- they want to buy advertising based on key demos.

Yes the news outrates BB, no BB doesn't win total people. However... it is a solid performer on series average and usually strong in demos.

Yes I am aware that Nine's contract may expire after this season, but if advertisers still want to buy, then I am sure they will renew it.

Give it at least quite a few weeks until you decide to "call it" if you really must.

Can I make a sincere request? Can we please keep the "I'm calling it ... Last season" type posts out of this thread, at least for a few weeks.

Advertisers DO NOT look to buy advertising based on one episode's total people result. They look at the series average, but more importantly -- they want to buy advertising based on key demos.

Yes the news outrates BB, no BB doesn't win total people. However... it is a solid performer on series average and usually strong in demos.

Yes I am aware that Nine's contract may expire after this season, but if advertisers still want to buy, then I am sure they will renew it.

Give it at least quite a few weeks until you decide to "call it" if you really must.

Agreed but won't stop it :(

Big Brother Australia - Season 11
8th September 2014 - Launch Night

Total People Number: 1.067m
Total People Ranking: #8

Key demos:
16-39: #2
18-49: #2
25-54: #2

Better than I expected tbh
Yeah me too. Woo!

So the Block was #1 in all demos (as expected)

In total people, if you remove news and current affair ...

1. The Block - 1.556m
2. x Factor - 1.174m
3. Big Brother - 1.067m

Champagne bottles popping in BBHQ this morning.

Of course lots of people will be commenting today that the launch is way down on 2013 (1.309m) and 2023 (1.634m) numbers.

Numbers are down across the board plus the late start. I'd say this is a strong start. Expect a fairly significant drop off before it starts building again.

Of course lots of people will be commenting today that the launch is way down on 2013 (1.309m) and 2023 (1.634m) numbers.

Numbers are down across the board plus the late start. I'd say this is a strong start. Expect a fairly significant drop off before it starts building again.
And the fact it started at 8:40+ some families who would watch it with their kids who would be going to bed around that time, may not tune in, so Im pleasantly surprised about this, hoping this next couple of days as characters develop cause some water cooler moments, Im interested in how it goes in the next few weeks from a ratings standpoint, I think it will always do reasonably well in target demos though

Back