Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 6 Discussion (16 June)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to stop thinking of racism as only something explicit, like insults and bad words. Racism exists in many forms and unconscious biases are some of the most dangerous, because people don’t even realise they have them. If you can’t see why 4 POC evicted in a row out of a group that is 80% white is a cause for concern, then you need to look a little harder at your own worldview.
Oh I agree. But we are not powerful enough humans to understand unconcious biases of others. We can only judge on overt behaviour and actions.
Using cumulative maths to strengthen your argument denounces your own position. Not taking into account every circumstance. You are making a correaltion. A pattern. But not a discerning individual cirumstantial statement. The votes and who they were from have been far from consistent or from the same bodies. So I dont understand the overt racism you seem to see so clearly.
May I say its refreshing to debate like adults. I truly appreciate that without descending into personal ad hominem.

Oh this has already been discussed to death. There are many, many reasons why this evaluation is wrong. Try the article on the home page as a starting point. Laura even said to the media there were race issues.

White fragility will find any way to warp denial into logic and Australia has so, so much denial about racial bias.
I read what Laura said and she was a whiny little bitch who was trying to start a race issue the whole time she was in the house.

They can basically edit any outcome they want, so no great shock they used a fake eviction on Angela or Kieran.
I'm glad she's staying, of course, she's the highlight of this season.
We could see that coming. This cast does suck though. Even getting them to jump through hoops for the challenges isn't making them seem more interesting.

I’m kind of noticing a UK casting style/edit with this series. In the sense that UK usually tried to push one or two characters to be ‘iconic’ it seems there doing it with Kieran and Angela, whether or not it has the affect they intended.

The same old excuses.

You may be right, but you're also committing a Ad ignorantiam logical fallacy. There's a multitude of reasons the housemates evictions ended up this way, not limited to racism and ingroup bias. People have listened to multitude of reasons, even down to coincidence. Now, you may be corrected.

However concluding it must be down to racism, with out knowing for sure is this explanatory principle logical fallacy.

In order to make a positive claim, such as its just racism, positive evidence for the claim must be presented as well as negative evidence for the other explanations. Or an analysis of how they interplay. We don't have this. It could be racism, you're right to say what you think it represents. However you can not dismiss others who look at it differently, not playing the same explanatory frame work on it.

None of us know, or lack the evidence to fully conclude. People are fine to say what they think it is, people need to agree to disagree. No one can speak with any certainty on this. Doing so stifles debates and leads to conflict which resolves nothing.

Angela (8)
Garth (Big threat + broke promises)
A little disappointed that Angela hasn’t taken the opportunity to smooth things with Garth. They would both be in a better position working together and their differences could get ironed out. Perhaps easier said than done when you kinda break that promise but.. I suspect there’s more to it than we can tell.

You tonight?

40ad4faada153feae877fae2f780b23bf32d7b71.gifv
👌

The EPG synopsis’ for next week’s episodes don’t mention anything that could be covid-related, so maybe it’s still a little bit away?

I read what Laura said and she was a whiny little bitch who was trying to start a race issue the whole time she was in the house.
I think you have to blame casting … just like in the US … ppl are always asking why they cast ott gay guys only … BB tends to look for ppl to cast that put an emphasis on their sexuality or color instead of "regular" ppl that just happen to be gay or a POC … they do this with the older HMs as well (think Sheila saying her age in every conversation) or the HMs that are parents (Think Devin BB16) and have to mention being a parent every time they speak. Almost as if the only way they can be noticed is to call these things out about themselves instead of letting personality or talent shine.

They either look for ppl that play-up these things or ask them to play it up for TV … Donny BB16 and being country … the smart or nerdy ones Ronnie BB11 Bronte BB18 … the annoying athletes Jessie BB10/BB11

casting casting casting casting … it stopped being a social experiment about real ppl from different walks of life many many years ago … very contrived now

The EPG synopsis’ for next week’s episodes don’t mention anything that could be covid-related, so maybe it’s still a little bit away?

Apparently it happens at the midway mark when there are 10 housemates left which would make it the week after. According to the Big Brother 2020 has begun thread someone overheard the ball challenge on March 6th and the house went into lockdown around the 20th of March.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been touched on - are we assuming Angela is watching in the bunker for all of next week and will return to the house Sunday 28 June, ie beginning of week 4? I’m thinking if that’s the case producers have thought “well fuck if they get rid of her again and it’s in week 4, we only have another 2 weeks of episodes to get through and make interesting without her” - because they’ve not got much once (if) she’s officially gone a second time.

Sorry if this has already been touched on - are we assuming Angela is watching in the bunker for all of next week and will return to the house Sunday 28 June, ie beginning of week 4? I’m thinking if that’s the case producers have thought “well fuck if they get rid of her again and it’s in week 4, we only have another 2 weeks of episodes to get through and make interesting without her” - because they’ve not got much once (if) she’s officially gone a second time.

Seems like she will return on Mondays episode as the description of the episode refers to a surprise return. And the show will run for 8 weeks as there are 24 episodes. So we have another 6 weeks to go.

Seems like she will return on Mondays episode as the description of the episode refers to a surprise return. And the show will run for 8 weeks as there are 24 episodes. So we have another 6 weeks to go.
I hope that’s referring to the surprise for us as viewers as opposed to the house, one episode doesn’t seem worth it!

I hope that’s referring to the surprise for us as viewers as opposed to the house, one episode doesn’t seem worth it!

You have to remember that in this format 1 episode is 3 days for the house, so if she returns at the end of Mondays episode that would be only 2 days for us but 6 days for them.

Apparently it happens at the midway mark when there are 10 housemates left which would make it the week after. According to the Big Brother 2020 has begun thread someone overheard the ball challenge on March 6th and the house went into lockdown around the 20th of March.
So if these events go to air around episode 11 or so, then that must mean the 3-days-per-episode would have to change for most of July’s run of eps, right? They weren’t in the house for much longer after that, at least not at the cycle that we are currently seeing? Right?

I thought they could be tougher with the task, they could drop the ball loads of times and still continue with the it. I wondered if the producers wanted to play up drama from them, they got 190 which was enough to buy quite a lot I would have thought.

Ian didn't make much sense, he said Angela is a threat to him but she is a friend and has never put him up.

Glad I wasn't spoiled on anything, I try and avoid all spoiler previews. They cater too much for the casuals who aren't sure whether to tune in the following day or not. I'd prefer all spoiler stuff in preview threads.

The description for Sunday’s episode wouldn’t make sense if it’s not a fake and they wouldn’t have advertised a twist for tonight if it’s a normal eviction.

In that case I'm glad I didn't read the description for Sunday's episode so I wasn't spoiled.

Allan revealed it's actually every 48 hours. With one "rest" day in between".

I wonder what they do on the rest day, go to the beach?

Hannah seems quite miserable. Not the outgoing girl she was in the snippet of audition we saw.

Well she hasn't had much of an edit. And Big Brother isn't the same situation as being free on the outside either and coming in later isn't easy.

I thought they could be tougher with the task, they could drop the ball loads of times and still continue with the it. I wondered if the producers wanted to play up drama from them, they got 190 which was enough to buy quite a lot I would have thought.

Ian didn't make much sense, he said Angela is a threat to him but she is a friend and has never put him up.

Glad I wasn't spoiled on anything, I try and avoid all spoiler previews. They cater too much for the casuals who aren't sure whether to tune in the following day or not. I'd prefer all spoiler stuff in preview threads.

Major downside of this series is the fact that they can’t decide if the storyline is that of a strategic game or if it’s just a byproduct of the pre-recorded format. While I like seeing more than just strategy based conversations etc it should not be the main focus. When it comes to gameplay we need to see more of the strategy behind the scenes rather than just the actions being taken.

I get that it’s a tough call when it comes to pleasing fans and that obviously putting too much of a focus on gameplay could turn viewers off but it’s also hard to watch when we’re essentially blind when it comes to the bulk of what actually matters.

Another downside is the fact that the series is pre-recorded. They can’t go back and address issues like they can if the shows airing live. Hopefully this series is seen as more of a pilot series and those behind it are willing to address obvious issues moving forward. Pre-recording has some obvious advantages from a production standpoint but also presents issues as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back