Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 6 Discussion (16 June)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think it’s a really tricky area because Allan, Soobong and Angela from what we have seen seem to be pretty strong personalities - maybe not so much Laura - as did Talia, whereas say Sophie, Shane, and some others really do not. The bland characters will automatically draw less nominations at this stage of the game. Danni just got caught in the crossfire and Laura came second in the first challenge so Talia put her up. I think there is more than racial bias going on in how it has played out. There are more bland caucasians in there. There were no bland non-caucasions?

Your comment is the same as saying you can’t be racist because you’re friends with a POC.

The best way to handle issues with racism or racial bias is;

- Assume you have it
- Listen to experts about it
- Don’t spread it
- Be willing to change yourself to end it

Making excuses accomplishes none of those things.
Oh for heaven’s sake. I am in a minority myself. Angela is fabulous. Does that make me racist?! If I dislike her does that make me non racist? This is a super weird logic.

Oh for heaven’s sake. I am in a minority myself. Angela is fabulous. Does that make me racist?! If I dislike her does that make me non racist? This is a super weird logic.

Sorry but you need to bring yourself down a peg before we can continue to have this conversation. I see your points but there have been many counter arguments that you seem to ignore in favour of your own narrative. I’m a member of a minority too but that doesn’t give me any privilege in terms of looking at this issue.

Sorry but you need to bring yourself down a peg before we can continue to have this conversation. I see your points but there have been many counter arguments that you seem to ignore in favour of your own narrative. I’m a member of a minority too but that doesn’t give me any privilege in terms of looking at this issue.
Ok. Well you and I can discontinue this conversation.

Ah well. Perhaps I don’t come across very well in print. First time ever anyone has suggested I might be racist. Intriguing. And slightly unnerving.

Reactions: kxk
Ask away...
I can't ask, because I don't understand when someone is racist, for when someone is white or someone who is not white?
For ex Alen was arrogant so he should have been evicted, and I forgot his name, if he had not shown how strong he was, he would be still in the house IMO. Everyone liked him, so I don't know why we talked about racism?

I didn’t say this. I said racial bias is playing a part. There can still be reasons housemates are evicted but it’s biases that cause the POC housemates to go first for the same reasons that are also applied to whites.

I was a bit drunk when I posted. I was thinking about it, it could be a bias in the casting. There are reasons to explain why people got evicted, which exclude race being the dominant factor. However maybe they were just more likely to cast non whites if they are a bit more out there. That's the primary cause. A bias happening at that level which then produces these results.

We won't see Sophie going any time soon. Potplants like blondie and hat guy that got craned in probably wouldn't have been cast if they weren't white.

I was a bit drunk when I posted. I was thinking about it, it could be a bias in the casting. There are reasons to explain why people got evicted, which exclude race being the dominant factor. However maybe they were just more likely to cast non whites if they are a bit more out there. That's the primary cause. A bias happening at that level which then produces these results.
I think that is fortunately or unfortunately what has happened which has contributed to it having played out this way. So not that there is NO bias. But its not exactly (what I would define as negative) racial discrimination bias. Which is what I was trying to get out with the bland caucasion comments. And is reflected in the potplant comments by some others.

Two episodes to catch upon today. The first will be getting a thread of it's own. The second may too - blatant fix.

The "twist" will have been set up in a way that if any key footage housemate was evicted they could activate the twist.

The way it's been edited you just assume they had planned it for now but yeeeer narh.
Absolutely - no doubt about it. I know Survivor claim that such twists are pre-planned but when a show is pre-recorded, especially a show which previously would have been live and in it's heyday would announce such twists before the nominees were even known, but as it got more desperate may have thrown things in once producers knew the nominees but viewers didn't, then it just screams fix. There is no way they'd have used this last night on the likes of Danni or Zoe.

I like Angela - she's brilliant, even if the tea thing is tiring. But producers working to save her instantly makes me dislike her.

What mensa candidate thought this up in the production meeting and thought it would make good tv
This one actually came from BB Canada, though there they had to do three spools each. Think one ended up having to be cut out as they practically passed out doing the challenge.

To be fair the challenges have been pretty good so far and included some original ones too. They're just lacking in variety.

I think a good litmus test for the racial bias question is...

If the same thing had happened - 4 POC evicted at the first opportunity in a row, leaving a completely white household - in BBUK or BBUSA, would there have been a lot of noise made?

Australia likes to think it is a diverse place but denial runs deep.
Can't speak for the later series but generally speaking BBUK, which usually had much better diversity than BBAU, never saw the house end up completely whitewashed. Most seasons had black housemates in the final.

BBUSA infamously had issues last year where they had this great twist on paper that the early evictees wouldn't leave the house but instead remain in the house in a run down "have not" room, which ended up being the white housemates in the nice house and the people of colour effectively ghettoed. There was obvertly racist behaviour from at least two housemates there too, one of whom ended up winning. BBUSA have had an Asian and Latino winner, but don't think they've had a black winner.

Anyway, back to tonights episode and not much to say really as the edit doesn't leave us much to go on. Only thing I really took from it is that Xavier actually has a good handle of the game and know what he's doing and needs to do - or importantly not do. I think Mat does as well. Keiran is not a master strategist at all - he's a lost nobody.

It’s almost the same as Daniel. On their own accord, neither have so far been able to live up to the “masc men” label they like to think they are. And that’s what really threatens them.
I think that has a lot to do with the types of challenges that have been on offer thus far. As in Survivor, these endurance challenges are more suited to those that are lighter, more nimble, and have an ability to switch pain off. The masculine types don't stand a chance in those challenges. Might win something that's like a race and throwing balls in a hoop or something, or holding a heavy weight where the weight is the same mass for all contestants. Also when your game is not in danger, I would argue that it's better not to win the challenges with this format (depending on your relationship with the person who might win it, I suppose). The bro's are all pretty safe atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back