Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

Last night - salad and garlic bread.

And I discovered our rottie likes lettuce.
@Kismet come back and tell us what camel tastes like. Goat sounds kind of icky, I don't eat fat at all, sounds very fatty?
Interesting food adventures, wonder if camel is available elsewhere.
I tried croc have you? A bit like fish I thought, tasteless, with fish like texture not taste.

what is the weirdest thing anyone has tried?
Sea anemone - a fishy paste, and jelly fish - was like pork fat.

Obviously I am not kismet, but I have eaten camel. My father tricked me into eating it many years ago as I never would've willingly done so. It was sort of like beef, but it had that gamey flavour to it which I love but I know not everyone does.

I've eaten croc as well, I didn't mind it as such but it was like the texture of chicken with the flavour of fish and I'm not a huge fan of white meat.

I'm not sure what the weirdest thing I've eaten is, probably an array of insects, grubs and spiders. The worst thing about the spiders is that they still look exactly like spiders, slightly unnerving.

Is it like venison, that kind of gamey?
I had forgotten about venison, yummy, lots of it in Tassie where I ate it regularly, how could I forget it:(

Bugs and such, I think I would rather starve - I am quite adventurous with food, but leggy things like that would ick me out way too much.
But - are they like prawn leg?
How the japanese cook prawn legs all crunchy I love, contradicts my aversion to legs

Last night - salad and garlic bread.

And I discovered our rottie likes lettuce.
@Kismet come back and tell us what camel tastes like. Goat sounds kind of icky, I don't eat fat at all, sounds very fatty?
Interesting food adventures, wonder if camel is available elsewhere.
I tried croc have you? A bit like fish I thought, tasteless, with fish like texture not taste.

what is the weirdest thing anyone has tried?
Sea anemone - a fishy paste, and jelly fish - was like pork fat.

The goat was not to my palate...I wouldn't choose it on a menu... but the rest of the family liked it. It was a little fatty but it's the type of fat that renders off well leaving the meat to do its thing a little like duck! I suppose if you were to make a lamb or venison roast, the skimmed fat from the goat would be good to roast the vegies in? It's "good" animal fat if that makes sense?

I slow-cooked it and before adding the veg, I skimmed off as much of the fatty residue as possible; even getting paper towels in there to soak up what the spoon wouldn't get! I didn't save it though, I chucked it.

My husband is the most adventurous eater in our family. He will eat just about anything and as such, has eaten everything from guinea pig to emu; chocolate chili covered ants, dugong (which he said tasted like corned silverside), pigs eyes..etc.. I reckon there is only 2 thing he wouldn't eat and they are sharks fin and swallows nest. He LOVES Kangaroo and croc...it's his ultimate "surf and turf".

I like offal and use it to make canapes or appetisers whenever I can. *whisper* - I love pate' and savoury finger foods in general, in fact, I would love to have a meal of grazing just on appetisers alone.:joyful: I am quite the carnivore and my MO is, if an animal is to be killed for food, then use as much of it as you possibly can, so I also make stocks and terrine gels from "leftovers".

I have had croc and all I can say on that is..it' s like a FICKEN... firm fish crossed with chicken...was really a nonevent. Not really into seafood and the only seafood I eat is scallops.

Will let you know how the camel goes and I reckon it's cool your rottie likes lettuce!:) Perhaps he/she may like spinach too. If your Rottie is a girl, the iron from spinach would be great for her diet. :)

@kxk camel is nowhere near as gamey in flavour as venison or kangaroo, I'd put it somewhere between those and beef/lamb/pork, just slightly richer if that makes sense. It has quite a unique flavour, I'd definitely be able to pick it from other meats, but it is similar to beef.

I love game meat so much, I think kangaroo is my favourite.

I'm not adventurous at all with food as I am pretty fussy, not sure how I came to be eating the bugs really. The witchety grubs were deep fried and more resembled a biscuit than anything else, the rest were awful. The spiders have next to zero meat, the leg is almost like eating crunchy air. Very weird.

@Kismet LOL you sound like my food opposite -
I love fish, just about any seafood, not river stuff.
I rarely eat meat, and only certain picky cuts and kinds, never lamb or pork. Mainly beef fillet, or chicken breast.
Offal is evil. Spare parts our family calls them. Not into organs at all.
Pate is yummy though, the only offal thing I have ever eaten.

Tis good we all have different palates, there are a couple of big meat eaters around here - all that meat isn't good for you though:)
Will give spinach a go with rottie, thanks.
Croc tasted like nothing to me.

Eww @jessy_girl, bug eating tales.
And Roo is yum, for someone who claims to eat hardly any meat I'm sounding silly now - but I haven't eaten roo or venison for years.
Must get some, do you do roo rare with red wine & juniper berries?

Last night I made Zucchini Slice..... It think in modern times we would call it a Zucchini frittata, the recipe book that I used was old. It was my first time making it and it turned out pretty good. Will make again in the future.

After dinner I also made a zucchini and walnut loaf. I wanted to try to make a cake from scratch....... but once I saw the recipe for the loaf I thought why not..... This looks easy enough..... and it was, expect I still managed to spill a whole lot of flour on myself and the bench.... Oh well such is life.

Now that the weather has started to get really hot I think it's time to move away from eating cooked veggies every night and start with the salads. I've planted some more spinach...... Hopefully that hurry's up and I still have about 5 leaks left. I was using them for my curried vegetable soup, now I might try to find a good leak salad recipe for the reaming 5.

Sadly my tomato's, capsicum and chilli are still in the small just been planted stage...... I wish they would hurry up.

Eww @jessy_girl, bug eating tales.
And Roo is yum, for someone who claims to eat hardly any meat I'm sounding silly now - but I haven't eaten roo or venison for years.
Must get some, do you do roo rare with red wine & juniper berries?

Hehe yeah pretty gross.

I have done the roo, red wine and juniper berries combo - so yummy! It also works with venison. Kangaroo meat is really versatile, I love using it in pies, curries, burgers, meatballs and sausages, as well as just barbecuing it and actually it's probably my favourite meat to roast but for some reason I rarely use it. I guess it's because not everyone likes the gamey flavour. I also like rabbit too, but I had a pet bunny as a kid and would have one now if I had a yard so I feel reluctant to eat it!

You should definitely get some roo and/or venison!

@Kismet LOL you sound like my food opposite -
I love fish, just about any seafood, not river stuff.
I rarely eat meat, and only certain picky cuts and kinds, never lamb or pork. Mainly beef fillet, or chicken breast.
Offal is evil. Spare parts our family calls them. Not into organs at all.
Pate is yummy though, the only offal thing I have ever eaten.

Ahhh! An opposites attract situation here..lol You can eat my clams and I will have your trotters!:playful:

My dad was a butcher, so I was raised with a weird respect to use as much of the "beast" as possible. I cannot stomach bone marrow though.. :sick: *shudder*

Tis good we all have different palates, there are a couple of big meat eaters around here - all that meat isn't good for you though:)
Will give spinach a go with rottie, thanks.
Croc tasted like nothing to me.

As a seafood eater, what do you think of cuttlefish? I like near all red meats but only have them in moderation but admit to really liking a good rack of lamb with a herbed crust and roasted chats and perhaps seared asparagus.

We tend to have at least 4 vegetarian dishes a week and I have introduced quorn as a meat substitute when making fillings for stuffed zucchini, which BTW we will be having tomorrow night.:D

Tonight though, making a quick chow mein with cellophane mung bean noodles.

re the spinach, even if you wilt it off a bit and add it to any wet food, she will chow down. I hope you have pics of your rottie up as I am heading to the pets thread right now. :joyful:

Ahhh! An opposites attract situation here..lol You can eat my clams and I will have your trotters!:playful:

My dad was a butcher, so I was raised with a weird respect to use as much of the "beast" as possible. I cannot stomach bone marrow though.. :sick: *shudder*

As a seafood eater, what do you think of cuttlefish? .I hope you have pics of your rottie up as I am heading to the pets thread right now. :joyful:
rottie as a half grown pup
166989_2766350311516_1343127666_n.jpg
404466_2766352071560_31536102_n.jpg
Big Rottie:)

Haaaaa, butcher family, well opposite again - not Dad, but Mum couldn't stand even touching meat, we had to cut up stuff or she used stuff she didn't need to touch much.

And cuttlefish is awesome, only ever had it when my ex caught it though, he was a commercial fisherman.
Nicer than squid in my opinion.

Take - away Indian tonight, the kitchen is a mess not fit for cooking.

I made pork and fennel sausage rolls. I saw it on some cooking show last week that I watched at the drs surgery (lil boy was sick). looked really yummy. too fennelly for my tastes, the aniseed flavour was quite overpowering.[DOUBLEPOST=1412499529][/DOUBLEPOST]I made pork and fennel sausage rolls. I saw it on some cooking show last week that I watched at the drs surgery (lil boy was sick). looked really yummy. too fennelly for my tastes, the aniseed flavour was quite overpowering.

Wow I wouldn't even think of making sausages, tricky stuff @Megan

Take away pizza for the troops, and my favourite quickie meal for me, bacon sanger:) Crunchy bacon and soft white bread - everything bad for you - well I did have salad last night.

I am making a lasange for dins tonight. Just cooked off the mirepoix and am currently browing off the meat for the ragu. I am even going to make (or try to make) my own pasta for the layering. It it turns out like shit, at least I have premade quick cook sheets on hand.:shy:

mirepoix - huh???

I just looked it up, a sort of veggie stock, made of chopped up veggies???

What the hell has that got to do with lasagne.
Lasagne I'm familiar with, is made with bolognaise and bechamel sauces, layered with pasta sheets.

Where does this veggie mix fit, is this your healthy version?
Sounds like you are a chef? Fancy pants:)

I am making a lasange for dins tonight. Just cooked off the mirepoix and am currently browing off the meat for the ragu. I am even going to make (or try to make) my own pasta for the layering. It it turns out like shit, at least I have premade quick cook sheets on hand.:shy:
In winter I made lasange at least once a fortnight, I do try to experiment a little bit with it like adding char grilled layers of veggies and weird stuff like that..... I'm the same as @kxk ......... you've lost with with mirepoix ???? I feel like I am watching masterchef all over again........ aka feeling inferior about my cooking skills.

Hopefully you can in part some of your foodie knowledge onto me!

For a kind of lasagne variety, have you tried making moussaka ?
I haven't done that for ages, it is really nice.

Greek lasagne really, has eggplant slices, and a fluffy bechamel (with beaten egg white).

And I have heard Americans don't generally use bechamel in lasagne, they use ricotta.

I want one of these
View attachment 31658

View attachment 31659

Cronuts, cross between a donut and a croissant
Also called Dossants - available in Melbourne at movida

@kxk There is a Recipe for these in The Age today
http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-foo...t-recipe-for-home-bakers-20141007-10r6pm.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/home-cronut-recipe-dominique-ansel-25948902

The article also mentions Lune Croissanterie in Elwood
http://instagram.com/lunecroissant
http://lunecroissanterie.com/
http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/article/early-rise-lune-croissanterie
We haven't tried them, know lots who have and LOVE.

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
@kxk There is a Recipe for these in The Age today
We haven't tried them, know lots who have and LOVE.

Thank you, you sweet thing:)

We have hunted cronuts, and their offspring crowbars even :)

Zumba has them apparently.

But I just stumbled upon them in Oakleigh, about 2 months ago.
And they make crowbars, the baby of a cronut - because those things are huge.

Do you ever go to Oakleigh?
I love it, no fast food chains, all coffee and gourmet cakes.
A market that has fresh fish.
A deli I can get my packets of espresso coffee for half price.
Great veggie shops, and amazing nuts everywhere - Greeks use a lot of nuts.
Coffee cafes in the mall are awesome for Greek cakes.
Go to the one with the yellow chairs - has the best pastries, peach and scrummy stuff, and cronuts & crowbars

mirepoix - huh???

I just looked it up, a sort of veggie stock, made of chopped up veggies???

It's the classic veg mix of really finely chopped celery, onion and carrot you use as aromatics and what I call flavour nubbies..lol to add to a protein based "sauce" and in this case, the ragu of beef. :) If you are making a spanish meal (like a paella) you would perhaps also add some capsicum)

What the hell has that got to do with lasagne.

Just say when I make a Lasagne, I don't use a bottle of raguletto or dolmnio. lol Instead I use pasatta infused with basil and oregano.

Lasagne I'm familiar with, is made with bolognaise and bechamel sauces, layered with pasta sheets.

Yup! what I am making, minus the bechamel. Rather, I finely grate Parma Reg cheese and add some spinach leaves in the layers.:)

Where does this veggie mix fit, is this your healthy version?

My homemadde as fresh as possible version ( I also make a vegetarian option at times)

Sounds like you are a chef? Fancy pants:)

COOK.. home cook. I love to cook though and try to make it from scratch as much as possible. :)

Reactions: kxk
Back