Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

In winter I made lasange at least once a fortnight, I do try to experiment a little bit with it like adding char grilled layers of veggies and weird stuff like that..... I'm the same as @kxk ......... you've lost with with mirepoix ???? I feel like I am watching masterchef all over again........ aka feeling inferior about my cooking skills.

Hopefully you can in part some of your foodie knowledge onto me!

I cannot help it with the mirepoix ref. It's not meant to be wanky.. it's just what I know it as.

Re eg lasagne, a friend of my eldest daughter is a strict vegetarian, so if she comes to stay at our place, and lasagne is on the table, I make her one with a shit tonne of roasted vegies as the base filler mix and use thinly sliced yellow quash as her "cheese" element and grate some more yellow quash and sprinkle it with paprika, basil and parsley as a topper

It's the classic veg mix of really finely chopped celery, onion and carrot you use as aromatics and what I call flavour nubbies........

Just say when I make a Lasagne, I don't use a bottle of raguletto or dolmnio. lol Instead I use pasatta infused with basil and oregano.
:)

Hmm, interesting, thanks for explaining.

I don't think I have ever heard an Italian use that in spag sauce, and I hate celery - except in fried rice.
I have heard of that kind of mix for other stuff.

And - I never use any of those pre-made bottle sauces they are yucky.
(there is one good Italian gourmet brand with tiny tomatos and parmesin tho)
I make my own from scratch. And make my own bolognese from scratch - with tomato paste and lots of tomato.
And that includes chopped onion, garlic, tomato - lots. I don't need celery & carrot & don't think they would add anything to my sauce recipe (but we used to chuck some veggies in when students, to make it go further and to get a balanced meal)

I like that I now know the name for mirepoix, cheers:)

Hmm, interesting, thanks for explaining.
I don't think I have ever heard an Italian use that in spag sauce, and I hate celery - except in fried rice.
I have heard of that kind of mix for other stuff.

In Italian, it's known as sofritto. :) They usually also add dry parley in the mix with the other veg.

And - I never use any of those pre-made bottle sauces they are yucky.
(there is one good Italian gourmet brand with tiny tomatos and parmesin tho)
I make my own from scratch.

Glad to hear that as I personally am happier to make my own with fresh roma toms and some cherry toms than have to google what tose numbers (621 623 etc) mean on Google..lol A cool thing to do too is if you are roasting ANYTHING, is to pop in a head of garlic to roast too in a little foily bag. It keeps for weeks in the fridge (2 mnths in freezer) but the cool thing is, you can take out a couple of cloves to add to your pasta or bolongese sauce and have that awesome roasted garlic flavour,

And make my own bolognese from scratch - with tomato paste and lots of tomato.
And that includes chopped onion, garlic, tomato - lots. I don't need celery & carrot & don't think they would add anything to my sauce recipe (but we used to chuck some veggies in when students, to make it go further and to get a balanced meal)

You may be surprised as how that simple mix adds flavour. I dare you to give it a shot.:wink:

I like that I now know the name for mirepoix, cheers:)

I am a student of LIFE these days..lol.. I have learned a lot in my short time just on this forum too. I love how life is just a learning curve of the best stuff.:joyful:

Ooo that is a good tip with the garlic.

I keep learning excellent tips and cooking secrets here.
The only sauces in jars I like are from gourmet shops like simon johnson.
Dolmio etc all taste sort of slimey.
And some people serve very strange versions of spag - the worst being a pile of grey mince & onion plonked on noodles!
Gah - my escape, oh crap I forgot to tell you I am a vegetarian :(

Ooo that is a good tip with the garlic.

I keep learning excellent tips and cooking secrets here.
The only sauces in jars I like are from gourmet shops like simon johnson.
Dolmio etc all taste sort of slimey.
And some people serve very strange versions of spag - the worst being a pile of grey mince & onion plonked on noodles!
Gah - my escape, oh crap I forgot to tell you I am a vegetarian :(
Aww you being a vegetarian may well love a lot of what I cook! I am happy to share recipes. I use my family as a "test" base..lol one of my daughters "claims" to HATE mushrooms, but I make a spinach linguine with chili oyster mushrooms (she THINKS it's chicken);) and scoffs it down and asks for seconds.

A Pescetarian starter I make (yes with scallops but you like seafood?) it's pretty special if you like scallops and truffles.

I am making a lasange for dins tonight. Just cooked off the mirepoix and am currently browing off the meat for the ragu. I am even going to make (or try to make) my own pasta for the layering. It it turns out like shit, at least I have premade quick cook sheets on hand.:shy:
How did you go with your own pasta sheets? Not so tricky once you have actually done it. Once you make your lasagne like that you will NEVER go back to premade - even premade 'fresh' sheets.
And it is same dog different leg to make your own cannelloni too from scratch.

How did you go with your own pasta sheets? Not so tricky once you have actually done it. Once you make your lasagne like that you will NEVER go back to premade - even premade 'fresh' sheets.
Thank you for asking. It wasn't too bad but I clearly need to improve on technique! I could blame the weather if I wanted to as to it not being as pliable as I would have liked (seemed to crumble a lot as I put it through the pasta machine)but I think it was more personal error than anything. I should have used 2 eggs rather than one, but as I only had the whopper 700g ones in the house, I only used one as the recipe I followed commanded a 55gram. Lesson learned for next time.

Despite it being a little too dry, it was still better than the dried sheets any day of the week and in fact, I was asked if I had added bechemal for a change as to the mouth, it was a lot creamier than my bog standard job.:)

Tonight.. just have roasted off a chook and we will have some chicken nacho's or even perhaps a chicken caesar. I have some sourdough bread in the freezer, so could make some croutons with that.

Thank you for asking. It wasn't too bad but I clearly need to improve on technique! I could blame the weather if I wanted to as to it not being as pliable as I would have liked (seemed to crumble a lot as I put it through the pasta machine)but I think it was more personal error than anything. I should have used 2 eggs rather than one, but as I only had the whopper 700g ones in the house, I only used one as the recipe I followed commanded a 55gram. Lesson learned for next time.

Despite it being a little too dry, it was still better than the dried sheets any day of the week and in fact, I was asked if I had added bechemal for a change as to the mouth, it was a lot creamier than my bog standard job.:)

Tonight.. just have roasted off a chook and we will have some chicken nacho's or even perhaps a chicken caesar. I have some sourdough bread in the freezer, so could make some croutons with that.

I use 1 egg per 100-125g of flour (or a rough half cup)...and a little drizzle of a good strong olive oil once I have kneaded and played with the flour levels. It is one of those things that goes best by feel.

I use 1 egg per 100-125g of flour (or a rough half cup)...and a little drizzle of a good strong olive oil once I have kneaded and played with the flour levels. It is one of those things that goes best by feel.

Thank you for that. Yeah it just did not feel right and I think that was my issue. As it was my first time, I didn't think it would be akin to making pastry but, it IS. Thank you for the measurements too. How long for you with that ratio is a good rest time before putting it through the cranker? :)

Thank you for that. Yeah it just did not feel right and I think that was my issue. As it was my first time, I didn't think it would be akin to making pastry but, it IS. Thank you for the measurements too. How long for you with that ratio is a good rest time before putting it through the cranker? :)

As I live in WA I tend not to rest it too long as it will dry out really quickly. I basically make the dough on my benchtop, cover it with a piece of gladwrap then a tea towel...I make a coffee, then I drag out my pasta roller, dust it down with flour, clamp it to the bench then start rolling little bits of the dough through. (so rest time, maybe 10 mins). What I do make sure I do is lay out baking paper sheets on my kitchen table, sprinkle with flour and as I finish cranking the pasta sheets (or fettucine or whatever I am making) they get laid out on the table to dry up a little after cranking... I usually do anywhere from a 3 to 5 egg mix, so when about halfway through cranking I turn the pasta drying on the table over so the bottom doesn't get sticky. Once I finish I either start cooking the first lot cranked. Halfway thru cooking I turn the last half of the pasta drying.

If I made a large batch, after cooking half I will freeze the other half of the uncooked pasta (flat for sheets or in nests for fettucine).

How did it go and what type of bones did you use?

It was pretty good actually, I wouldn't normally have just some broth for dinner but I'm in dire need of some vitality and still getting my appetite back after being sick. It's fairly tasty and easy to drink, I'm going to keep knocking it back I think.

This was made with beef marrow bone, once this batch finishes I'll try another bone or combination.

It was pretty good actually, I wouldn't normally have just some broth for dinner but I'm in dire need of some vitality and still getting my appetite back after being sick. It's fairly tasty and easy to drink, I'm going to keep knocking it back I think.

This was made with beef marrow bone, once this batch finishes I'll try another bone or combination.

You can get chicken frames and necks from woolies to make good broths. Do you add carrot and stuff and perhaps a bouquet garni when boiling them off and then strain it? Should leave you with a good and wholesome consomme.

Aww you being a vegetarian may well love a lot of what I cook! .

Not really a veggo, I just use that excuse if anyone serves me a mountain of foreign meat, any foreign meat actually, even a molehill.

I often tell pople in advance I'm veggo, if I haven't eaten the cooks food before - I am extremely picky.
Same with functions, I often pick the veggo option because I don't trust a lot of cooks.
A lot of meaty cooks are greasey/fatty cooks, and I detest fat/greasey.

That being said - I was a veggo for 7 years, not for ethical reasons, just preference I don't like many meats or how they make me feel.
Lack of iron and vit B, I took up meat again I was getting all feint and dizzy.

And everyone should try being a veggo for a year or so, it makes you a better cook, expands everything.

You can get chicken frames and necks from woolies to make good broths. Do you add carrot and stuff and perhaps a bouquet garni when boiling them off and then strain it? Should leave you with a good and wholesome consomme.

Oh that's a good idea, I might try that next. I actually got the marrow bone for free from the butcher, he probably thought it was for a dog of something so maybe was inferior quality, but good for a start. He also had one knuckles, I might try those next time too.

And yep, this broth had carrot and celery and some herbs tied together (is that a bouquet garni? I'm guessing so) and boiled with some water and vinegar before straining. It was pretty laborious to prep and cook to be honest, but mostly worth it, and I said I'm mostly in it for the purposes of vitality which this has in loads. I made around 4 litres, I'll freeze portions tonight I think.

As I live in WA I tend not to rest it too long as it will dry out really quickly. I basically make the dough on my benchtop, cover it with a piece of gladwrap then a tea towel...I make a coffee, then I drag out my pasta roller, dust it down with flour, clamp it to the bench then start rolling little bits of the dough through. (so rest time, maybe 10 mins). What I do make sure I do is lay out baking paper sheets on my kitchen table, sprinkle with flour and as I finish cranking the pasta sheets (or fettucine or whatever I am making) they get laid out on the table to dry up a little after cranking... I usually do anywhere from a 3 to 5 egg mix, so when about halfway through cranking I turn the pasta drying on the table over so the bottom doesn't get sticky. Once I finish I either start cooking the first lot cranked. Halfway thru cooking I turn the last half of the pasta drying.

If I made a large batch, after cooking half I will freeze the other half of the uncooked pasta (flat for sheets or in nests for fettucine).

Awesome tips thank you so much! I will give your method a go over the weekend and perhaps make some so it's just ready in freezer when I am at a loss at what to make. I guess when thawed, the sheets can then be used to make ravioli, agnolotti etc? Or is that bet done when it's mega fresh?

Back