Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

Oh "What's for Dinner". I just have to laugh. After starting 3 countries of BB in June, ending Wednesday night I promised my partner a big home cooked dinner Thursday night. (actually he sort of told me I owed him)

I made Chicken Picatta, Anger Hair Pasta with oil and garlic plus herbs, oven roasted potatoes and broccoli florets. A HOMEMADE from scratch New York Cheesecake with a butter cookie crust with lemon zest. Took the day off from work. About a half hour from being ready to serve he gets a call. The audacity of a woman to go into labor right before my dinner is ready to be served!!! He is an OBGYN so nature called. Dinner down the tubes last night, but I was able to save some of it for tonight and again, phone!!!

Hmmm. maybe I should check his calls, LOL (just kidding)

Oh "What's for Dinner". I just have to laugh. After starting 3 countries of BB in June, ending Wednesday night I promised my partner a big home cooked dinner Thursday night. (actually he sort of told me I owed him)

I made Chicken Picatta, Anger Hair Pasta with oil and garlic plus herbs, oven roasted potatoes and broccoli florets. A HOMEMADE from scratch New York Cheesecake with a butter cookie crust with lemon zest. Took the day off from work. About a half hour from being ready to serve he gets a call. The audacity of a woman to go into labor right before my dinner is ready to be served!!! He is an OBGYN so nature called. Dinner down the tubes last night, but I was able to save some of it for tonight and again, phone!!!

Hmmm. maybe I should check his calls, LOL (just kidding)

Okay now that all sounds Yum....we need a recipe's thread

Okay now that all sounds Yum....we need a recipe's thread

...great idea Laindsay1973... it may as well be this thread because we're talking about food already... perhaps we should put up the recipe if anyone requests it after we describe what we ate?... if it's a recipe from a website then simply put a link to it but if it's a thrown together meal then I guess a broad outline will suffice lol!... just an idea peoples... what do you all think?... cheers.

...by the way... one of my most favourite things to eat is just melted cheese on toast with lots of pepper sprinkled on it... yum!... cheers.

...by the way... one of my most favourite things to eat is just melted cheese on toast with lots of pepper sprinkled on it... yum!... cheers.

So yum! My mum used to give me this sometimes when I was little when she was time poor, but I loved it & would ask her for it almost every night when I was a kid.

As for my dinner tonight, well I had a calzone from Crust and then a big bowl of ice cream... mmm healthy.

As for my dinner tonight, well I had a calzone from Crust and then a big bowl of ice cream... mmm healthy.

...I had to Google what a 'calzone' was... wow... they look good!... I bet that they are quite filling from the look of them... um... just how BIG was that bowl of ice-cream jessy_girl?... lol!...

...my sweet darling wife had something prepared for me about a week ago for when I went inside the house for lunch... I had been working out in the back yard for a few hours and walked in to see... wait for it... 2 soft boiled eggs with 2 pieces of toast cut into 'soldiers'... (toast cut into strips)... I laughed my head off!... do you have any idea on just how many years ago it was since I last had that?... lol!... I loved it!... no wonder I still love her after 35 years together!... what a legend she is!... (yes I put lots of pepper onto my googy eggs too lol!)... cheers.

...I had to Google what a 'calzone' was... wow... they look good!... I bet that they are quite filling from the look of them... um... just how BIG was that bowl of ice-cream jessy_girl?... lol!...

...my sweet darling wife had something prepared for me about a week ago for when I went inside the house for lunch... I had been working out in the back yard for a few hours and walked in to see... wait for it... 2 soft boiled eggs with 2 pieces of toast cut into 'soldiers'... (toast cut into strips)... I laughed my head off!... do you have any idea on just how many years ago it was since I last had that?... lol!... I loved it!... no wonder I still love her after 35 years together!... what a legend she is!... (yes I put lots of pepper onto my googy eggs too lol!)... cheers.

Oh, it was BIG. Around half the container I would say. Probably a touch more than I needed, but oh well. Calzone was amazing, I highly recommend them, especially since you enjoy melted cheese! Can you believe there are people who don't like cheese, how bizarre?

Love the sound of your lunch (and of course your wife). I looove soft boiled eggs or soft poached eggs. I actually like having eggs with vegemite soldiers, I also recommend this if you like vegemite even a little bit. But I am rather partial to vegemite. I have spaghetti with just vegemite & melted butter for sauce, or I use vegemite as a marinade for lamb chops, I sometimes put vegemite through mashed potato.... so many uses. And of course, it makes a great stock. Think of all the iron and vitamin B!

Ok slight tangent there... but vegemite rocks!

Last edited:
...great idea Laindsay1973... it may as well be this thread because we're talking about food already... perhaps we should put up the recipe if anyone requests it after we describe what we ate?... if it's a recipe from a website then simply put a link to it but if it's a thrown together meal then I guess a broad outline will suffice lol!... just an idea peoples... what do you all think?... cheers.

Given the variety of members we have world wide it would be nice to get recipes from everyone

This is a south african recipe and soooo yummy
http://www.justeasyrecipes.co.za/2009/08/27/milk-tart/

...that sounds nice Lindsay1973... it looks like a great little recipe... you know that good thing about us putting our recipes up on this thread is that we've actually tasted the food in them... there's nothing worse than seeing a great looking recipe on the Internet that you download then buy all the appropriate stuff then cook it and it tastes like crap... thanks for that... cheers.

I went out for dinner tonight. Mr Chows at the rocks... So freaking good.

...that sounds nice Lindsay1973... it looks like a great little recipe... you know that good thing about us putting our recipes up on this thread is that we've actually tasted the food in them... there's nothing worse than seeing a great looking recipe on the Internet that you download then buy all the appropriate stuff then cook it and it tastes like crap... thanks for that... cheers.

Have tasted it ,it is really yummy,we also have this dessert called Koeksusters I have made it once but it is also very yummy..fattening but yummy http://www.justeasyrecipes.co.za/2009/08/27/koeksisters/

I am desperate for a Thermomix! I would love someone to buy me one for Christmas but I don't imagine any of my family or friends are the rich/generous. Maybe I should just find some dude to marry just so I can register for awesome gifts... I always plan my dream registry. Seriously.

It was expensive [MENTION=25883]jess[/MENTION]ie_girl, but worth every cent. I cook so much more now. Let's start looking for a rich sugar daddy (or mummy)!!

...wow!... I just looked at the 'Thermomix' on YouTube... do you need a license to drive it?... lol!... quite a machine indeed... cheers.

Ha! it took about 3 minutes to get the hang of, Mr Sticky. So much less washing up, too. All in one bowl. I just made the beef stroganoff for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it was amazingly good. No packets, just all fresh ingredients...

I use the Carnegie Deli in NYC recipe and I zest some lemon into the crust. First time I attempted this recipe it did take me a couple tries as they warn you. I over baked it. I showed the Celsius temps for baking, but I did really know how to convert other measurements.

"It usually takes a couple of tries to get it just right"

Cookie Crust
1cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4 - inch bits
(I add a 1/4 to 1/2 lemon peel zest - optional)

Cheese Filling

1 1/4 pounds softened cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Crust:
1. To make the crust, place the flour, sugar, grated lemon rind, vanilla extract, egg yolk, and butter in a large mixing bowl. With your fingertips, rub the ingredients together until they are well mixed and can be gathered into a ball. Dust with a little flour, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

2. Butter and flour the bottom of a 9 inch X 2 inch spring-form pan, roll out a piece of dough to cover bottom. Dough should be as thick as for a normal sugar cookie (1/4 inch) Bake in a preheated 350 degree (175 C) oven to a light brown color. Cool the pan and bottom. Butter the sides of the pan. Roll out and line the sides of the pan with more of the cookie dough. Trim excess dough from the edges.

Filling:
To make the filling, place the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until it is creamy and smooth. Beat in the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, and, when it is well incorporated, beat in the flour, lemon, vanilla, eggs and egg yolk and heavy cream. No lumps please!

Baking Step One:
Preheat the oven to 485-500 degrees (250 - 260 C). Oven should be hot to enhance color. Pour the filling into the cookie dough lined pan, bake in the center of the oven until a dark brown color has been achieved. The cake should also start to rise slightly. Cool for 30 minutes and set oven to 350 (175 C) degrees.

Baking Step Two:
After cheesecake has cooled for 30 minutes, return the cheesecake to the oven for final baking (this procedure will set the cheesecake).

NOTE: Cheesecake is like a pudding with only eggs being used to firm the cake. When the cake is bouncy in the center and slightly risen in the middle as well as on the sides, it's finished!

Baking time at 350°F (175 C) will vary (usually 25 to 40 minutes) depending on your oven.

Final Step:
Cool cheesecake in pan for at least 2 hours before trying to remove it from the pan. Refrigerate the cheesecake overnight. For best flavor, cheesecake should be served at nearly room temperature. Slice cake using a hot, wet knife; wipe blade clean between slices.

NOTE: If you overbake, the cake will crack and be too firm. If you underbake, the cake will tend to be soft in the center.

The Carnegie Deli
854 7th Avenue at 55th Street, New York, New York, 10019
Tel. 212-757-2245 Toll Free: 800-334-5606 Fax: 212-757-9889

Final Step:
Cool cheesecake in pan for at least 2 hours before trying to remove it from the pan. Refrigerate the cheesecake overnight. For best flavor, cheesecake should be served at nearly room temperature. Slice cake using a hot, wet knife; wipe blade clean between slices.

NOTE: If you overbake, the cake will crack and be too firm. If you underbake, the cake will tend to be soft in the center.

...that sounds great Kandy... that's a great tip at the end about cutting it with a hot wet knife and wiping it between slices... makes so much sense really when I think of it... geez there's a fine line between overbaking and underbaking it isn't there?... thanks for posting the recipe... **Sticky's stomach starts rumbling**... lol!... cheers.

THANK YOU!!! I had these in Cape Town about 3 years ago when I was there working on an assignment. They were sooooo good. I am going to try and make this during the week.

you are welcome,it's a national dish..even Charlize Theron when she came back to south africa that was one of the first things she did had some melktert

I've just done a 12 hour day so I have come home and made 2 Cheeseburgers (took me all of about 8 minutes to make). I bought pre pressed frozen patties (100% beef) from Coles which were on special and they were actually pretty good.

The only problem was the buns, they were two thick so for most of it all I could taste was bread. Also I need to head back to Costco at some point to pick up some proper cheese singles. The ones from Coles are okay but just aren't as good.

Lentil and silverbeet soup. Hopefully this will help the sick boys

Back