Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

Oh how I miss being a student. I used to live solely off migoreng, chocolate bars, apples and diet coke... oh and a whole lot of booze. Good times.

Haha. My diet is mostly pasta, tuna, apples, corn flakes, coke zero, zooper doopers and paddle pops. The booze is a given too, although this year not so much. It is good times, but sometimes it sucks being poor when all you feel like is something like a great big steak....

I lived in a uni town so there was always specials on at the pubs, we could get a steak and a beer for $8, same with chicken parmy (my favourite). I miss being at uni. Not that I'm exactly immersed in the real world now, but man those were the golden years for sure.

I lived in a uni town so there was always specials on at the pubs, we could get a steak and a beer for $8, same with chicken parmy (my favourite). I miss being at uni. Not that I'm exactly immersed in the real world now, but man those were the golden years for sure.

Mmmmmmmmmm

I'm thinking of doing a doctorate/masters, I miss study, I can't make up my mind what I want to research - or if I just want to do something totally different.
I'm happiest when I'm learning something partly why I'm addicted to running around on the internet - learn something every day.

My new recipe for chicken to put in wraps, yummo, we made this last night.

Chicken breast sliced thinly in strips. Pan fry lightly in sesame oil, then add dash or 3 of balsamic vinegar, add some brown sugar, stir until all blended/fried.
Then sprinkle a bit of a packet of French Onion soup.

Tastes scrummy, a bit like teppanyaki , sweet and salty. Tastes great with salad, sweet chili sauce, wrap

Tonight I made some lamb chops (the exy ones) roasted veg salad (with about 35 different vegetables) crunchy spuds, turkish bread and now I'm waiting for sex :)

Tonight I made a Moroccan chicken salad with a minty yoghurt dressing... Mmmm

Tonight I made some lamb chops (the exy ones) roasted veg salad (with about 35 different vegetables) crunchy spuds, turkish bread and now I'm waiting for sex :)

...I love lamb chops... (I love sex better though hahaha!)... I hope that the latter happens for you Alli... it's a great way to top off a meal lololol!...

Tonight I made a Moroccan chicken salad with a minty yoghurt dressing... Mmmm

...wow Sweet_Geek that sounds awesome!... our son bought us a Tagine a little while back and it sat around for a couple of months until I decided to give it a go... I made a chicken curry in it and it tasted great... it only took a short while to cook it too in the Tagine... what a great contraption that is!...

...is Moroccan chicken a curry type meal?... that minty yoghurt dressing sounds great too... hmmmm!... methinks that I may have to Google that recipe of yours and make it sometime over the next few days... it sounds delicious!...

...last night I cooked a duck... the best one that I've ever cooked... it was perfect!... the wife gave me 10 out of ten... (which is high from her believe me lol!)... tonight I just made some chips in our 'Tefal Actifry' and had them between 2 pieces of bread where the butter melts instantly as your eating it... (as kids in England we used to call them 'chip butties')... two totally different meals but both so enjoyable... geez I have a good life!... cheers.

...wow Sweet_Geek that sounds awesome!... our son bought us a Tagine a little while back and it sat around for a couple of months until I decided to give it a go... I made a chicken curry in it and it tasted great... it only took a short while to cook it too in the Tagine... what a great contraption that is!...

...is Moroccan chicken a curry type meal?... that minty yoghurt dressing sounds great too... hmmmm!... methinks that I may have to Google that recipe of yours and make it sometime over the next few days... it sounds delicious!...

...last night I cooked a duck... the best one that I've ever cooked... it was perfect!... the wife gave me 10 out of ten... (which is high from her believe me lol!)... tonight I just made some chips in our 'Tefal Actifry' and had them between 2 pieces of bread where the butter melts instantly as your eating it... (as kids in England we used to call them 'chip butties')... two totally different meals but both so enjoyable... geez I have a good life!... cheers.

It's delicious! And so good for you! I'm one of those people lol. And it's so quick and easy.

It does use curry powder actually. If you have chicken tenderloins or breasts ( cut in similar strips to tenderloins), you just put them in a non stick frypan with a little oil and sliced onion and then put some curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, cayenne, ground cumin, salt, pepper and let them cook, I like mine saucy so I always put some water to let it simmer and chop up some tomato and let it simmer until done. I make a basic green salad with tomatoes with steamed green beans and carrots too. The yoghurt sauce is just home made yoghurt that I make, you can use the Greek yoghurt too, mixed with finely choppers mint leaves ( i prefer to smash them ) and oregano leaves and finely chopped cucumber with a very tiny hint if garlic ( optional), season to taste and there you have it. Salad on bottom chicken strips layered on top and a decent amount of the yoghurt just blabbed on top.

I should buy myself a tagine it seems. I do t normally eat curry dishes though. I prefer stews really. But that duck sounds AMAZING! If your wife gave you a 10 then it's a keeper!

That chip butter thing sounds... Not my thing lol. I'm the one Australian you will find that does not like chips unless baked, and even then I may not eat it lol. Anything that's fried actually makes my queasy. I actually get sick. But it sounds like something my hubby would devour within a minute.

Don't worry I do eat other food and not just salad. My stuffed zucchini in tomato sauce gets attention from the in laws :) I love food and will try anything once. You sound like you can whip up anything really, that's so good, wish my hubby could pick up a pan and cook something lol

Last edited by a moderator:
...thanks for all the info for the Moroccan chicken Sweet_Geek... just one question... how much curry powder do you put in?... a couple of teaspoons type thing or more?... I'm really thinking of making this over the weekend... it sounds so yummy... also you were talking about your stuffed zucchinis... I like to stuff large mushrooms and / or Capsicum halves too... how good are those meals?... have you tried them?... they are great...

...when I stuff either large mushrooms or Capsicum halves I usually put a very small amount of butter spread on the bottom of either of them then put a layer of shredded chicken or beef or whatever meat was left-over from the night before and then spread a smidge of 'Basil Pesto' onto the meat... then place enough really finely chopped vegetables (usually zucchini/tomato/capsicum/celery and perhaps some carrot) on top of the meat and pesto... just enough to cover it all... then spread either some mango chutney (or even pickle) over the vegetables and then top it all off with grated cheese of my liking and even add some finely grated parmesan cheese on top of that too! lol!... it may sound like a lot of hard work to do or even a bit of overkill but my wife and I love it!...

...oh and sometimes I might even put either a dollop of BBQ sauce OR a sprinkle of nutmeg powder (never both... it doesn't taste right believe me)... over the top of the cheese... when it all cooks in the oven the pesto/chutney (or pickles) and also the BBQ sauce if added dribble through the vegetables and meat to produce some amazing tastes... the whole thing may sound 'icky' but it is worth it... damn!... now I'm hungry at 1:40 in the morning lol!... cheers.

Don't worry I do eat other food and not just salad. My stuffed zucchini in tomato sauce gets attention from the in laws :) I love food and will try anything once. You sound like you can whip up anything really, that's so good, wish my hubby could pick up a pan and cook something lol

...I'll try anything once too... I love to experiment with different types of food... in regards to me being able to whip up anything that I wish I must admit... I'm one of those people that can find say... 4 or 5 items in the cupboard or fridge and can usually find a way of cooking them together to make a reasonably good meal lol!...

...I only learned to cook about 5 years or so ago and just taught myself through trial and error to be able to cook as I do now... my sweet beloved wife used to cook for her kids and myself all the time and got really sick for a while and that's when I had a go at it... the first meal that I ever made was a beef stir-fry after 'Googling' a recipe for it and it turned out not too bad at all for a first attempt... it was a bit bland but edible... (I later learned the value of herbs/spices and sauces etc lol!)... so that was the spur for me to learn to cook... I do 90% of the cooking now because I love doing it... (needless to say that the sweet wife is even happier lol!)... my favourite meals that I like to cook are Lobster Mornay / Lamb Shanks / Saltimbocca / Crisp Pork Belly and anything stir fry...

...apparently my Lobster Mornay is to die for I've been told on a couple of occasions lol!... I'm interested in cooking different things from around the world... (hence my question in regards to your Moroccan Chicken recipe)... I was given a book with recipes from around the world with recipes from Russia / Belgium and South Africa etc... I'm so interested in trying different things from around the world... it was a perfect gift!... cheers.

our son bought us a Tagine a little while back and it sat around for a couple of months until I decided to give it a go...

I was quickly skimming and read this as 'our son bought us a Tangerine...and it sat around for a couple of months'.

Oh well, it gave me a giggle. Fruit often sits around our house until it has to be thrown out. Except for bananas.

Tonight I had my first go at sang choi bau ( I think that's spelled right? )

I've recently changed jobs and I'm loving not doing shift work! Much more time to cook! I did lash out a few months ago and buy a Thermomix, and I have to say, it's incredible!

Any other Thermomix cooks around?

Tonight I had my first go at sang choi bau ( I think that's spelled right? )

I've recently changed jobs and I'm loving not doing shift work! Much more time to cook! I did lash out a few months ago and buy a Thermomix, and I have to say, it's incredible!

Any other Thermomix cooks around?

Just googled Thermomix, and wow i may need to invest :D

Well, he did his best but my husband just served up burnt chops and pasta salad. There were supposed to be eggs too, but they were too burnt to serve up. I ended up with a bowl of triple choc ice-cream instead.

Made various dips- baba ganoush, hummus, tzatziki, with Turkish bread. Also made oven baked lamb chops with rosemary and red wine. Dessert: fruit salad :) mmmm

Just googled Thermomix, and wow i may need to invest :D

Absolutely worth the money. My shopping bill has dropped by about a third. We use so many more raw ingreadients now. No more packets! And the cooking time is so much faster. If I could e mail you the home made hummus dip, I would !

I was quickly skimming and read this as 'our son bought us a Tangerine...and it sat around for a couple of months'.

Oh well, it gave me a giggle. Fruit often sits around our house until it has to be thrown out. Except for bananas.

...hahahahahaha!... that's funny... in regards to fruit spoiling it would be the bananas for me... I hate to admit it but I'm the same as Ed was... I can't eat them... they make me want to vomit... same as peaches... I can't handle them either... by the way... I love Tangerines lolol!... cheers.

I roasted a duck with asian vegetables, sweet potato mash and made a red wine jus, haha classy. Felt like something special for Friday night :)

Back