Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

Oh great now I am craving McDonalds it's probably no surprise that I love pretty much everything on their menu.

Ok I am going to make at least one meal a day healthy, or try to. Your suggestion for breakfast actually sounds tasty and much like what a normal person would eat, so maybe I'll start there.

Wow maybe I really should do a juice fast.

Oh great now I am craving McDonalds it's probably no surprise that I love pretty much everything on their menu.

Ok I am going to make at least one meal a day healthy, or try to. Your suggestion for breakfast actually sounds tasty and much like what a normal person would eat, so maybe I'll start there.

Wow maybe I really should do a juice fast.

You are so like my sister in food choices lol, it's like having a discussion with her daily.

I'm glad you like the brekkie suggestion, feeling like I did a good deed now :p

I'm not sure if I would like the juice fast, I actually have never been on one, but I know subconsciously I can't get full knowing I had a drink, I would probably end up bingeing on whatever I could get my hands on lol. But apparently they are good to do here and there, something about detoxing and digestion. Maybe ask your mum what she thinks of it as I'm curious about it too I guess

Tonight I had pasta with basil out of the garden, Parmesan, lots of salt and pepper and my favourite olive oil. Was good. So was the wine I washed it down with :)

I'm not sure if I would like the juice fast, I actually have never been on one, but I know subconsciously I can't get full knowing I had a drink, I would probably end up bingeing on whatever I could get my hands on lol. But apparently they are good to do here and there, something about detoxing and digestion. Maybe ask your mum what she thinks of it as I'm curious about it too I guess

My mum was over last night so I asked her about this. I have had a few nutrition related questions for her lately, she is probably excited thinking I am actually trying to implement changes into my life. Anyway, she said she wouldn't encourage a juice fast but she also wouldn't advise against if someone was super keen. She says you can get just as many benefits from eating fruit & vegetables, no need to consume them in juice form. And you are better off including protein and some healthy fats in your diet as well. But if someone has a truly atrocious diet then it can be a good way to detox. She doesn't 100% believe in detoxing though, as she says just cutting out fried and processed food will have the same effect on your body.

She also brought me some broccoli which I am presently eating raw on her advice. I have to say, its fucking disgusting and is taking me nearly an hour to get through 400g. I would throw it out but I swore on my dogs grave that I would eat it today, so I now feel obliged to do so!

You don't like broccoli? Does it have to be raw? It's a bit cabbage-y raw.

I love it just heated until it goes bright (still crunchy) with a bit of lemon and pepper. Parmesean and olive oil too, but I'm assuming that wouldn't be allowed in whatever it is you are trying.

I'm not really trying anything specific per se, I just have some very bad eating habits and my poor mother is trying to change it. She filled my freezer with some supposedly healthy meals and even made me some ice cream made almost entirely out of bananas.

She says I need to eat more vegetables and says to eat them raw where I can. Truth be told I really don't like vegetables so it is a bit of a shock to my system. She says olive oil is good, I suspect she wouldn't approve of parmesan only because I freaking love it, and that is the typical pattern... anything I love, she says is bad!

But maybe I will your method. Even now at age 25 I still need vegetables pureed and hidden in pasta sauce or something to ensure I eat them.

My mum was over last night so I asked her about this. I have had a few nutrition related questions for her lately, she is probably excited thinking I am actually trying to implement changes into my life. Anyway, she said she wouldn't encourage a juice fast but she also wouldn't advise against if someone was super keen. She says you can get just as many benefits from eating fruit & vegetables, no need to consume them in juice form. And you are better off including protein and some healthy fats in your diet as well. But if someone has a truly atrocious diet then it can be a good way to detox. She doesn't 100% believe in detoxing though, as she says just cutting out fried and processed food will have the same effect on your body.

She also brought me some broccoli which I am presently eating raw on her advice. I have to say, its fucking disgusting and is taking me nearly an hour to get through 400g. I would throw it out but I swore on my dogs grave that I would eat it today, so I now feel obliged to do so!

I actually agree with your mum. I like her advice on the juice fast. Besides veggies in a smoothie form sounds atrocious to me... I once had a carrot juice with avocado and spinach and wanted to slap the person for encouraging this drink to me- just yuck!

If you don't like eating veggies raw, then don't IMO. It will only make you avoid eating healthy things in the long run. Btw it's ok to try and hide your veggies or add flavour to it. I'm actually not that big on broccoli, but when I put it in a fry pan with some chopped tomatoes and some garlic and olive oil- yum! Broccoli has to be account pained with another flavour for me to eat it. It's the same with eggplant, zucchini, corn, cauliflower and there are others I just can't think of them right now. I do like vegetables though, even though it sounds like I don't. I just enjoy them in a different way to others lol.

I actually agree with your mum. I like her advice on the juice fast. Besides veggies in a smoothie form sounds atrocious to me... I once had a carrot juice with avocado and spinach and wanted to slap the person for encouraging this drink to me- just yuck!

If you don't like eating veggies raw, then don't IMO. It will only make you avoid eating healthy things in the long run. Btw it's ok to try and hide your veggies or add flavour to it. I'm actually not that big on broccoli, but when I put it in a fry pan with some chopped tomatoes and some garlic and olive oil- yum! Broccoli has to be account pained with another flavour for me to eat it. It's the same with eggplant, zucchini, corn, cauliflower and there are others I just can't think of them right now. I do like vegetables though, even though it sounds like I don't. I just enjoy them in a different way to others lol.

I love the taste of vegetables, as a kid I was always more excited for the chips on my plate instead of the veggies and I'm sure most kids have the same attitude, but now that I am older nothing is more exciting than to sit down to dinner and have a piece of meat and the rest of my plate filled with vegetables. I honestly think because I know how good they are for me that that is the reason they taste so good. Kind of like the placebo effect but the vegetables actually work!

I bought some salmon today, fennel, and capsicum... Now I need a good bearnaise sauce recipe?

I love the taste of vegetables, as a kid I was always more excited for the chips on my plate instead of the veggies and I'm sure most kids have the same attitude, but now that I am older nothing is more exciting than to sit down to dinner and have a piece of meat and the rest of my plate filled with vegetables. I honestly think because I know how good they are for me that that is the reason they taste so good. Kind of like the placebo effect but the vegetables actually work!

I relate to that, if I know something is good for me, I start to enjoy it too. I would never took a liking to soy milk, but now I enjoy it with smoothies. I love almond milk, but I know it's better for me. I think anything can be enjoyable if you know how to make it likeable I think. I'm actually not that big of a meat eater, so I enjoy when I have a huge salad accompanied with it. I love certain veggies on their own but some I'm still like a kid and have to have it flavoured lol. I wish I could be like you and just enjoy the veggie as it is. I can eat green beans and carrots all day- does that count?

I relate to that, if I know something is good for me, I start to enjoy it too. I would never took a liking to soy milk, but now I enjoy it with smoothies. I love almond milk, but I know it's better for me. I think anything can be enjoyable if you know how to make it likeable I think. I'm actually not that big of a meat eater, so I enjoy when I have a huge salad accompanied with it. I love certain veggies on their own but some I'm still like a kid and have to have it flavoured lol. I wish I could be like you and just enjoy the veggie as it is. I can eat green beans and carrots all day- does that count?

Sure green beans and carrots count, you have just inspired me to have a one of my favourite snacks a boiled egg and carrot sticks.

If I am home during the day in winter my favourite lunch is just a big bowl of steamed vegetables.

Now milk is something I will never like no matter how good it is for me, I can't drink it straight, it make me gag, I only like it with flavouring but if I add say chocolate topping to make a milkshake I feel guilty because of all the sugar in the syrup and I end up feeling really sick after drinking it.

Seeing as though this is the what's for dinner thread, tonight is homemade hamburgers on a multigrain bun with lots of chilli seasoning in the meat. YUM!!!

You girls are so good! I have made no secret of my poor eating habits. I pretty much just eat meat, bread & cheese but not in the correct protein, carbs & fats ratio. Plus I eat a lot of processed foot and lots of refined sugar. I do eat veggies in pizza form though, but only if there is meat on it too. I pick salad off burgers though. I should copy you both.

Sure green beans and carrots count, you have just inspired me to have a one of my favourite snacks a boiled egg and carrot sticks.

If I am home during the day in winter my favourite lunch is just a big bowl of steamed vegetables.

Now milk is something I will never like no matter how good it is for me, I can't drink it straight, it make me gag, I only like it with flavouring but if I add say chocolate topping to make a milkshake I feel guilty because of all the sugar in the syrup and I end up feeling really sick after drinking it.

Seeing as though this is the what's for dinner thread, tonight is homemade hamburgers on a multigrain bun with lots of chilli seasoning in the meat. YUM!!!
Like you, I like flavoured milk too. My favourite way is adding maple syrup and cocoa- yum! But these days, I use almond milk.

I like the sound of your snack. My snacks include celery and carrots and whatever dip I have made for the week. This week I have made a capsicum and olive dip. And now you have made me want some.

I am going to have salmon and a potato and fennel and capsicum sauté of vegetables with a bearnaise sauce. I just need a recipe for this sauce. I had this meal last week at a cafe that I love and want to see if I can make it. Your dinner sounds like a very exciting burger... I probably wouldn't need the sauce with the amount of chilli you sound like you are using lol

You girls are so good! I have made no secret of my poor eating habits. I pretty much just eat meat, bread & cheese but not in the correct protein, carbs & fats ratio. Plus I eat a lot of processed foot and lots of refined sugar. I do eat veggies in pizza form though, but only if there is meat on it too. I pick salad off burgers though. I should copy you both.

You sound just like my sister, she will only eat vegetables if it has a cheese sauce on it (yuck BTW) or the vegetables are in the form of a potato bake LOL. Her diet is like 90% fast food and the rest is ready made meals you buy from the supermarkets. I've only started to cut out processed foods since watching a couple food documentaries a few years ago, maybe try and watch a doco it might scare you straight LOL.

You are the anti version of us. Lol. I think [MENTION=34449]Inigo Montoya[/MENTION] and I could help encourage you add a little bit of healthy to your diet. It doesn't have to be a drastic change, just a small baby steps here and there?

You sound just like my sister, she will only eat vegetables if it has a cheese sauce on it (yuck BTW) or the vegetables are in the form of a potato bake LOL. Her diet is like 90% fast food and the rest is ready made meals you buy from the supermarkets. I've only started to cut out processed foods since watching a couple food documentaries a few years ago, maybe try and watch a doco it might scare you straight LOL.

I have to say this... Cheese sauce is yuck to me too! I actually dislike cheese though. If I want to flavour my veggies, it's usually with chopped tomatoes and olive oil, or adding a lemon herb dressing. I hate the taste of greasy stuff. But I'm weird like that lol. But I love sauces (just not cheesy ones)

[MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] I'm a little obsessed with chilli ATM, I'm trying to add it to anything I can. Last week I was testing a few things to make for Christmas and I found a recipe for roasted Capsicum dip and it was so good I ate the whole thing in like 2 days, I was constantly taking it out of the fridge and eating it. Let us know how your Bearnaise sauce works out, aren't they really hard to make?

Last edited:
[MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] I'm a little obsessed with chilli ATM, I'm trying to add it to anything I can. Last week I was testing a few things to make for Christmas and I found a recipe for roasted Capsicum dip and it was so good I ate the whole thing in like 2 days, I was constantly taking it out of the fridge and eating it. Let us know who your Bearnaise sauce works out, aren't they really hard to make?

Apparently it is quite technical I've heard, but a friend of mine told me to use a blender for it and forget about the traditional way of doing it. I did not realise this sauce is quite unhealthy. I'm goi g to have to alter the recipe or I'm going to have to eat a lot less of it lol.

Umm yeah that sounds identical to me. And funnily enough you sound like my health obsessed sister. Maybe you and [MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] can just post what you're having for dinner and I'll eat the same. My sister is too extreme. I found out today that my 15 year old brother has a green smoothie for breakfast everyday so I really am the odd one out.

Back