Skip to main content

The Jimmy Savile case - Gary Glitter arrrested

pecan

Awesome site donor
I thought I'd start a new thread for this, it doesn't really belong in the Celeb Deaths thread. Gary Glitter arrested:

Jimmy Savile investigators arrest Gary Glitter on 'suspicion of sexual offences'
by: Charles Miranda in London | From: News Limited Network | October 29, 2012 8:55AM

• Gary Glitter arrested on “suspicion of sexual offences”
  • Arrest part of investigation into Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal
  • Footage shows Jimmy Savile groping teen on live TV

BRITISH celebrities are expecting their hedonistic lives in London in the 1960s and '70s could now catch up with them after the arrest of Gary Glitter over alleged child sex offences.

Police yesterday held the former glam pop star for 10 hours before releasing him on bail to reappear in mid December “pending further inquiries”.

The 68-year-old, real name Paul Gadd, was arrested as part of the probe into British celebrity Jimmy Savile who died last year but for the last month has been making daily headlines as more than 300 people have come forward to say he abused them as children.

Scotland Yard has now described Savile as possibly the worst paedophile in British history with evidence he preyed on young boys and girls at his office at BBC studios, a children’s home and hospital for mentally and physically disabled children.

Savile’s victims were both male and female with the youngest being just nine-years-old at the time she was abused. Many instances of the alleged assaults and molestations occurred at the BBC studio where he hosted the top rating Top of the Pops and Jim’ll Fix It TV shows as well as a caravan on the BBC lot in west London.

Glitter, who is already on a child sex offender registry following charges in Vietnam in 2006, has not commented about his arrest which police would only say was related to “suspicion of sexual offences”.

“The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed ‘Savile and others',” a police spokesman said.

Police moved on Glitter at his London home early in the morning. The BBC and Sky News showed footage of Glitter, who wore a hat, a dark coat and sunglasses, being taken from his home by officers and driven away. Glitter was later photographed leaving Charing Cross police station on Sunday afternoon.

Operation Yewtree into Savile is reportedly investigating up to a dozen celebrities and personalities implicated for allegedly abusing children in the 1960s through to the 1980s or procuring them for the likes of Savile. Police have said further arrests were likely.

PR guru to many British stars Max Clifford said dozens of big name stars from the 1960s and ‘70s have contacted him because they are “frightened” they will become implicated in the widening child abuse scandal.

He said the stars were worried because at their peak they had lived a hedonistic lifestyle where young girls threw themselves at them but they “never asked for anybody's birth certificate”.

“All kinds of things went on and I do mean young girls throwing themselves at them in their dressing rooms at concert halls, at gigs, whatever,” he said.

“They never asked for anybody's birth certificate and they were young lads ... suddenly everyone's dream was a reality.”

At least one victim of Savile is an Australian man from NSW.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said today an immediate inquiry was required but not one so big it took years to probe.

"There is always a danger if you set up a very substantial inquiry process of that kind that it takes much longer to get to the truth,” he said.

“What should be happening right now first and foremost - and clearly is happening with the police - is we should be looking to see who is still around who was involved, and criminal proceedings should follow if people were guilty of participating in these offences alongside Jimmy Savile. That is of paramount importance.”

Glitter rose to fame in the 1970s with a string of UK hits, including the crowd-pleasing hit

Rock & Roll (Part 2)

, a mostly instrumental anthem that has been a staple at sporting events thanks to its catchy "hey" chorus, but his music has often been shunned since his abuse convictions.

It is now alleged the disgraced 68-year-old had sex with a schoolgirl in Savile's BBC dressing room in the 1970s. Glitter has denied the allegations.

There is evidence BBC management chose to ignore multiple complaints of Savile’s abuse and those of other personalities and even killed off a documentary by its own staff that last year was set to expose him as a serial paedophile.

On Sunday, the chairman of the BBC Trust said he was committed to finding out the true scale of the scandal to save the broadcaster's reputation. "Can it really be the case that no one knew what he was doing? Did some turn a blind eye to criminality? Did some prefer not to follow up their suspicions because of this criminal's popularity and place in the schedules?" Chris Patten wrote in The Mail on Sunday.

The BBC has set up an independent inquiry into the corporation's culture and practices in the years Savile worked there. It also launched a separate inquiry into whether its journalists dropped an investigation into the allegations.

The Savile matter has shocked the British public not least of all because of the other personalities linked to the abuse.

-with AP

Source.

Could they not tell if someone was possibly too young?

The posts from the other thread:

Anyone following this story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19887019

I'd never heard of him before CBB, wondered who this guy was that they were treating like a living legend.

Yes, I was reading about this the other day. I always thought he was a bit strange..gave out a weird vibe but I thought that long before reading any of this information. He seemed like a strange man. Interesting that they waited until he died to bring all of this up. A bit suspicious? I have no clue whether he is guilty or not but there seems like a lot of people putting their hands up saying they were victims too.

More on the Jimmy Savile case, footage has come out of him groping a 19 year old on live TV in the 70s:

http://www.news.com.au/world/austra...-of-jimmy-savile/story-fndir2ev-1226504479477

Disgusting. The "defence" doesn't wash at all, you can't mistake a 9 year old for someone you don't think is underage, and it isn't an isolated incident. Not to mention the fact that kids that age don't "throw thenmselves" at pop stars/[resenters, it's vile to try to shift the blame onto the victims.

They're talking about this on mornings at the moment (Perth time). Gretel's on too.

Disgusting. The "defence" doesn't wash at all, you can't mistake a 9 year old for someone you don't think is underage, and it isn't an isolated incident. Not to mention the fact that kids that age don't "throw thenmselves" at pop stars/[resenters, it's vile to try to shift the blame onto the victims.

Yes, obviously with 9 year olds, but even with 16, 17 year olds, they still look too young.

They're talking about this on mornings at the moment (Perth time). Gretel's on too.

Yes, obviously with 9 year olds, but even with 16, 17 year olds, they still look too young.

But the bad thing 16 and 17 are the legal age of consent for sex in this country in different states. So some of the blame can be at the law making it too young, but then again how can you stop this from happening? You can't... Teens will have sex with each other, and with people they meet.

As for Garry Glitter I always thought he was a freak

But the bad thing 16 and 17 are the legal age of consent for sex in this country in different states. So some of the blame can be at the law making it too young, but then again how can you stop this from happening? You can't... Teens will have sex with each other, and with people they meet.

As for Garry Glitter I always thought he was a freak

I agree teens will have sex with each other however I think grown (older) men could act in a responsible adult way and show some restraint and decline the offer of sex from teenagers.

I heard about the new one yesterday, then all traces of his name in association with the allegations vanished from google. I hope it's just a routine questioning and he isn't involved...

Oh, who is it? Can we have a hint?

I wouldn't know who it is in order to be able to give a hint so instead, here isn't a summer holiday in Berkshire.

[youtubevid]WmIK9wjhT-8[/youtubevid]

regarDS

I haven't heard the name of the person at all, but today when I read the Perth Now article, Michael Parkinson popped into my mind :( I don't know why....I hope it's not him...

It's not.

I wasn't actually looking for the name of the person I was doing some research for a skating and our trip to Brisbane tomorrow and I stumbled across it.

Back