Skip to main content

The Fitbit Cult

I'm content with 5000 at the moment. Part of that though is that I will do 20-30 mins on an exercise bike with 8/12 intervals every second day which doesn't come up as steps.

In two weeks I am free of commitments and can ramp up my exercise a head of my big trip. I'm kind of annoyed though, in this health kick I lost about 3 kg fairly easily and then have just plateaued for a few weeks, despite being more active and not a bad eater. Which is frustrating as there's no easy cuts. There's no junk food to cut out. Looks like it may have to be booze... :(

The lack of shift on weight is annoying because every time I am on that bike I am better and better. It's quite a grueling interval set up. Only a few weeks back when I started I made it 7 minutes and threw up(it was a very warm day). Then I got it to 20 and I was exhausted after. and collapse in a chair. Now I can do 30 and when I'm finished I walk around to let out energy.

Are you counting Calories?

I'm content with 5000 at the moment. Part of that though is that I will do 20-30 mins on an exercise bike with 8/12 intervals every second day which doesn't come up as steps.
Really?!

The only reason I have dropped so low is because I am weeks 2 post knee surgery. 5000 steps a day is basically an inactive lifestyle.

You absolutely need to bump it up, babe.

I have learned from being a nurse that how you think you slept isn't necessarily how you actually appeared to have slept.

When working night shift you often hear patients say "I didn't sleep a wink all night", and yet on your two hourly rounding, all signs pointed to a sound sleep (depth, rate and rhythm of breath, lack of movement or response to my torch, even sounding snore), and yet they are convinced they didn't sleep.

Yeah I have heard that, you generally sleep a lot better than you think. There's also the whole, 'don't stess if you don't think you're sleeping. I always try and have the mind set now, 'it's ok, i'll just be a little tired.' The annoying thing is I have a lot of work to do today.

I haven't read it yet, but I picked up a book a few weeks back, 'Night School' by Richard Wiseman. He's quite good and he writes about the actual science. Not non sense that a lot of these kinds of 'self-help' books do. I read a book of his a while back, which was an anti-self help help book. It went through the science of why a lot that stuff is non sense. What the science literature says about the kind of crap Opera would promote. Then it went through things which are scientifically proven to have results. Going to try and knock that out when things quiet down.

Yeah I have heard that, you generally sleep a lot better than you think. There's also the whole, 'don't stess if you don't think you're sleeping. I always try and have the mind set now, 'it's ok, i'll just be a little tired.' The annoying thing is I have a lot of work to do today.

I haven't read it yet, but I picked up a book a few weeks back, 'Night School' by Richard Wiseman. He's quite good and he writes about the actual science. Not non sense that a lot of these kinds of 'self-help' books do. I read a book of his a while back, which was an anti-self help help book. It went through the science of why a lot that stuff is non sense. What the science literature says about the kind of crap Opera would promote. Then it went through things which are scientifically proven to have results. Going to try and knock that out when things quiet down.
I thought I found it very difficult to sleep when coming off a night shift, in fact I would often complain that I had no sleep what so ever. I was shocked to find what my Fitbit proved and that is I sleep quite well, considering it is day sleep.

Really?!

The only reason I have dropped so low is because I am weeks 2 post knee surgery. 5000 steps a day is basically an inactive lifestyle.

You absolutely need to bump it up, babe.

But you have to remember that 5000 doesn't include the 20-30 mins going hard on the bike. I don't know how to quantify that.

I will bump it up soon, but since I've gotten this thing it has entirely been while I'm in the final weeks of finishing a masters degree. So today when I feel my mental alertness start to kick in I will start writing and reading again and be at the computer until about 4pm. Then I will work out, and unless I got everything done, I will spend the evening writing more.

Reactions: Tee
But you have to remember that 5000 doesn't include the 20-30 mins going hard on the bike. I don't know how to quantify that.

I will bump it up soon, but since I've gotten this thing it has entirely been while I'm in the final weeks of finishing a masters degree. So today when I feel my mental alertness start to kick in I will start writing and reading again and be at the computer until about 4pm. Then I will work out, and unless I got everything done, I will spend the evening writing more.

Google steps conversion.

Are you counting Calories?

I honestly have no idea where to start with that. I have gone through with apps and put a few things in. I don't think I am at that level of concern. Maybe thinking I am early stages is an issue.

For me, the issue is more, I am a bit overweight but have been fairly stable at where I am. Just kind of goes up and down a little here and here. The main reason is, as I just mentioned above I am doing an intense masters degree and it's depressing as all hell and from that I lack motivation. I don't eat badly, it's like today I have no choice but to sit at a computer. My life is dictated by this.

A head of finishing, and before I set off on a massive trip in a couple months I am just trying to get fitness up and lose some weight. So I am being more conscious about what I eat where I can and just being more active. This time two years ago, in a similar time frame to what I have and will be working with, I lost 6 kilos literally doing less effort than I am doing now. It is probably more now, I am being impatient. Once this current work is done, then that will be the test when I have no excuse and to be honest, I am going to be on the highest happy high ever. Finally finishing with an amazing over seas trip in my future.

I honestly have no idea where to start with that. I have gone through with apps and put a few things in. I don't think I am at that level of concern. Maybe thinking I am early stages is an issue.

For me, the issue is more, I am a bit overweight but have been fairly stable at where I am. Just kind of goes up and down a little here and here. The main reason is, as I just mentioned above I am doing an intense masters degree and it's depressing as all hell and from that I lack motivation. I don't eat badly, it's like today I have no choice but to sit at a computer. My life is dictated by this.

A head of finishing, and before I set off on a massive trip in a couple months I am just trying to get fitness up and lose some weight. So I am being more conscious about what I eat where I can and just being more active. This time two years ago, in a similar time frame to what I have and will be working with, I lost 6 kilos literally doing less effort than I am doing now. It is probably more now, I am being impatient. Once this current work is done, then that will be the test when I have no excuse and to be honest, I am going to be on the highest happy high ever. Finally finishing with an amazing over seas trip in my future.

Im glad your not because it can start a vicious cycle, just focus on improved performance and listening to your body :)

Well done Inigo.
I'm trying something different this week - still getting my steps done, but I'm making them up with longer walks rather than monotonous exercise. It will be interesting to see if I get the same/better/worse. I know I'll need the exercise for toning up, but I want to see if I need to do it daily.

Good luck with your fitness and weight loss, @up_all_night. It is very hard to do, but I believe you can do it. Over the past five to six months I have lost nearly 30kg by changing my eating habits and regular exercise. I didn't use fitbit, I just realised that I needed to improve my health and well being.

That's awesome @Inigo Montoya - a great effort in a relatively short amount of time as well. So did it just come down to eating well and walking lots, or was there more?
Thanks!
Basically what you said... Lots of walking and counting calories.
Well done Inigo.
I'm trying something different this week - still getting my steps done, but I'm making them up with longer walks rather than monotonous exercise. It will be interesting to see if I get the same/better/worse. I know I'll need the exercise for toning up, but I want to see if I need to do it daily.
Thanks as well.

I'm no expert, but I think longer walks might be better???? Actually I have no idea, but my walks are around and hour and a half long. about 12,000 steps.

Ok so last week I had a pretty big week (emotionally and psychologically) - not as physically as I could have / should have, but then I went away on a leadership weekend, one of the team building things was a beach volleyball comp though .. So it wasn't all sedentary.

Anyway ... was absolutely exhausted last night. Slept on the lounge for an hour (6:30 -7:30) and then I went to bed at 7:30 and slept for almost 12 hours...

Even exhaustion and a mega long sleep can't help me tho...

image.jpg

I give up! Ha.

So I take it that that is not a normal sleeping patten?
I've never used the sleep function on my fitbit, I might do it tonight and see what all the fuss is about.
@bleachy_dude how are you going with your steps and calories burned? I feel like those 2 types of data really were what helped me lose weight + using another app called my fitness pall (which you can link to your fitbit) to count calories.

Oh @bleachy_dude i was pretty stoked to average 3.5 hours on Friday abd Saturday night but now that I'm back to the working week it's around an hour a night. It sucks. My iron stores are looking low again which doesn't help my energy levels, but if anything it should be helping me to sleep more.

I've just accepted that this is my life now and I will possibly have to wait until death to get a good nights sleep.

And yes @Inigo Montoya please track your sleep!

My HR's ability to track exercise seems screwy.

I stopped putting on the exercise thing for the bike. It tended to figure it out.

For some strange reason yesterday it thought I did about 36 minutes more than I did. Literally it had that logged before I did anything.

Then today I did about 40 minutes, only logged 8.

Just kind of sucky for trying to keep track. Although I guess I know I worked out.

Back