Skip to main content

The Block-Art deco building

I think a separate loo was a logical progression of moving the outhouse from the back of the yard to a little room of its own next to the laundry (either in the yard or back balcony), to a little room next to the bathroom, before it got integrated into the bathroom itself.
One advantage, if sharing bathrooms and having a separate toilet is the aroma aspect of it all. Keep them in the water closet, as it were, don't have them taint the more pleasant smells in the actual bathroom, lol. Oh look, in your own home have what you want, an opinion is just that, an opinion. Neither correct or incorrect.

Oh @Khun Khun in an ideal house I'd have a bathroom with a loo and a guest WC with its own handbasin.

enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

The new "it" thing that Ive seen in a remodel of a friends apartment (180 sqm)
was this "cubicle of toilets" that Ive seen now in 2-3 new homes.
There is not a room but imagine a set of 2x2m glass-like non-see-though cubicles.

first has a sink+shower+side bench, second in line sink+toilet+side bench,
the third has a bath+bench only with sliding door to the second.
the fourth sink+toilet+washing machine.
they are seperated by this frosted glass walls with continous tile floor.
from the corridor it looks like a set of glass cupboards along it.
they have glass-like doors that are acoustic. you just use the one you need.
it reminds me of upmarket office toilet stalls but space age with LEDs.

Last edited:
OMG. The boys keep making stupid choices! So this week I actually agree with the judges for the most part - shocking I know - only one swap. So here's my commentary on the main bathrooms.

1. Dan & Carleen - Those floor tiles are amazing! I'm also loving the fact they put in a bath and shower. I like a choice especially in a main bathroom. Light switches on the outside were a big NO from me. What happens when some shit turns out the lights as they walk past!? With no windows I'm going to be in the bloody dark.

2. Will & Karlie - I loved those basins! I like the dark touches breaking up the white. Which was the only reason I swapped them with the girls as their bathroom was a little too white for my liking. I also loved their tile choice and didn't mind the panelling at all. Had they included a bath in there (maybe by getting rid of the second basin) they would have been my top pick.

3. Julia & Sasha - Very nice but a little too white for me as I've said. I think if they'd changed the basin colour it would have made a big difference for me. Maybe a grey? They certainly had oodles of storage and the double showers are nice but I'm not sure if it's really needed in a main bathroom - more of an ensuite thing IMO. Also not sure I'm sold on the gloss tiles - I think I prefer a matte.

4. Ben & Andy - The boys actually did pretty good minus that one glaring omission. The herringbone tiles were great and I enjoyed the pop of colour their artwork gave to the room. They also had a bath and shower which is a big tick from me. BUT where is the bloody toilet!? I know some people prefer a separate one which is fine as there's a WC but why wouldn't you add one for those of us that like the all-in-one. Had they included a toilet they would have been my number two! I can live without a bath but not a toilet.

5. Chris & Kim - They just don't have much luck with bathrooms do they! The actual vanity is really nice but their choice of fittings were horrible. That tap. Horrible. Those handles. HORRIBLE. I'm also not a fan of built in baths - freestanding all the way I say. I don't mind the faux marble tiles but I think they may have overdone it with them. The panelling was more a miss than hit for me too. They really are in danger of having a different style in every room which they must prevent.

Ok this is why I like the block so much: They love playing with their contestants,
and it seems they really enjoy doing it with Dan and Carleen. It was completely obvious
that they would throw them into the tumble-dryer of emotions from last week to this
week. Which would make them look two faced bitchy - 'we dont care what the judges
think, its our style!' last week, into 'yes, we love the judges!' this week.

Obviously, they had copied what they could from the girl's winning bathroom (black
trim) and it was enough to get the judges to mark them as high as possible
(9.5, 9.5, 10, seriously?) just to allow for the "zero to hero" "comeback" scenario, so
beloved on the block throughout almost every series. The "feel good factor" always
truimphs everything, and so, when the Double D's did so poorly in auction, they were
offered another chance to win big, hence restoring the "and they all lived happily
ever after" theme. Scotty doesn't like to see sad faces, almost as much as he dislikes hugs.
That "half smile-yay-hug-oh well we like the judges-after all-cause-we-won"
that Carleen displayed was the bread and butter of the block.

Now its time to throw another couple into the tumble-dryer of emotions. Next up
we have Chris and Kim, with a mishmash of bad taste. Dont worry, never fear, for they
too shall soon win a room and block-feel-good-factor will be restored.

Of course, they did not deserve to win. The girls produced a far more cohesive,
elegant and high-end looking bathroom, after 3 agonizing episodes of "tile gate"
following "colour gate" following "wall size gate". Seriously Julia has split personality,
and both cant decide on anything. Sasha must be half an angel to cope with her.

The boys - did not put a toilet! But wait, from the next week inserts we could see
them adding a toilet, perhaps creating another en-suite, two master bedrooms..
who knows. In any case it was enough to mark them into the 5-6's. The fact that
two couples didnt have a bath but only a shower, in a main bathroom, didnt seem
to be an issue. But it was in previous blocks. so much for consistency of judging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam
PS.
Chris and Kim's faux-marble-tile bathroom reminded me of 80's Dynasty sets.
I could just see Alexis with that champagne glass in her hand
in that hob bath.

Ks0eaCt.jpg

If only the theme was "80's over the top kitsch". Kim nailed that.

Last edited:
Next week on the block:
Scotty finds a hobo on the street, drags her along into the block and shows
her how the rich are going to live..
(sorry shelley craft, we love you, but wtf?)

MTMeBQl.jpg

nX11Kxf.jpg

Honestly, Dan and C-aargh-leen are awful! They are so ungenerous toward the other contestants and I hated their bathroom! The placement of those hideous cacky pink towels was ghastly and the whole thing just looked uncohesive to me. It was only marginally better than the delightful Kim and Chris's abysmal effort. It seems to me that D&C (hahahaha!) were given high scores this week just because they have received such low scores previously. The judges/producers like to stir everything up a bit.

Chris & Kim - They just don't have much luck with bathrooms do they! The actual vanity is really nice but their choice of fittings were horrible. That tap. Horrible. Those handles. HORRIBLE. I'm also not a fan of built in baths - freestanding all the way I say. I don't mind the faux marble tiles but I think they may have overdone it with them. The panelling was more a miss than hit for me too. They really are in danger of having a different style in every room which they must prevent.
Just watching this now but that bathroom is truly awful. It's a mishmash of horrible tiles, the panelling, mismatched taps, handles... it's like they sent 10 people out shopping to choose an item each and then just put them all in together. No cohesiveness and not even one hint of art deco, for that matter...

Just watching this now but that bathroom is truly awful. It's a mishmash of horrible tiles, the panelling, mismatched taps, handles... it's like they sent 10 people out shopping to choose an item each and then just put them all in together. No cohesiveness and not even one hint of art deco, for that matter...
Boooo for no art deco. If you're going to tout a building as being art deco, flaming well keep the theme going inside. Make it a standout piece of deco brilliance, not just more high end apartments that happen to be in a deco building.

I'm also surprised at all the gold and brass tapware. Art deco was big on chrome, just see here what Dr Google has to say.
I haven't watched any of the show thus far. Doubt I will either. I love art deco and for them to not capitalise on the building is silly and disappointing. If there is a deco theme going in there somewhere, well, I apologise. I don't like the judges anyway and let's not go near Scott and Shelley.

I haven't watched any of the show thus far. Doubt I will either. I love art deco and for them to not capitalise on the building is silly and disappointing. If there is a deco theme going in there somewhere, well, I apologise. I don't like the judges anyway and let's not go near Scott and Shelley.
I'm only watching the reveal part of the Sunday shows. Nothing else. And only because I love art deco (which you would think would be a good reason NOT to want to watch this)

Ok so on "inspection time" by the other teams it was even more evident
that the judges had handed a win to D&C, and they sure didnt deserve a higher
score than the girls, where all teams just went "wow".
the girls were robbed of a deserving win to make D&C feel good, and it was Kim who
noted this (saying: do I need to cry to get a win from the judges? reffering to Carleen).

The boys as expected are adding a toilet after the negative comments, and also
adding another en-suite. Dan is sure they will win the room reveal and that 3.5
bathrooms, 4 rooms will be a block winning move. Should this come with a spoilers
alert? We get "Wallpaper gate" after "tile gate" after "wall gate" after "colour gate"
from the girls. arghh how can sasha stand it. she's going to have a nervous breakdown
and boy you have to believe her if thats what she deals with all the time from Julia.

Chris & Kim are "reunited" with their children for some extra drama in a week
that will obviously center around them, as they "climb from the bottom".

Reactions: Jam
Back