Skip to main content

The Block-Art deco building

Sometimes I swear I have no idea what these judges are thinking! My rankings are as follows for the three people on this board who admit to watching this show. :p

1. Will & Karlie - Totally deserved their win. Their layout was my favourite and I just love me some exposed brick. Plus the artworks were amazing IMO. Oh and they had doors on their wardrobes! I hate the open wardrobe trend which may or may not be because mine's such a mess and I love the fact I can close the door and forget about it.

2. Chris & Kim - Again I agree with the judges. They were a very close second. Loved the furnishings and rough exposed brick. This weeks style is far better fitting and with their awesome time management skills they could be a serious threat if they keep this up.

3. Julia & Sasha - So this is where the judges and I start diverging. I'm quite a fan of teal so I don't know why the girls are hating on it even though they always use it! I'll admit their room was a bit bland overall but for me they got third because I'd rather a too little than too much.

4. Dan & Carleen - WELL. Didn't they get a beating! I actually liked the wallpaper and didn't like all the teal. Although I like the colour itself I don't think you should use so much of it. The bed styling was definitely too much and made the room feel overwhelming. I do this the judges were a bit harsh though.

5. Ben & Andy - Again they're my bottom pick; again I hated it; again I have no idea why the judges loved it so much. Neale hit the nail on his head when he said it had an old fashioned office feel to it. The skirting and the frosted glass made me think of a New York private investigator's office. Also wasn't a fan of the diamonds or that mirror but the boys did improve on their styling so I'll give 'em that.

Last edited:
Dan & Carleen are channelling Dee with their insults towards Shaynna. Do these people not know they are being recorded? And if private conversations are not meant to be broadcast, is it ethical to use them without consent?

Dan & Carleen are channelling Dee with their insults towards Shaynna. Do these people not know they are being recorded? And if private conversations are not meant to be broadcast, is it ethical to use them without consent?
Whilst I admit to still not watching this, is there any such thing as a "private conversation" when you're mic'd up?

Reactions: kxk
Whilst I admit to still not watching this, is there any such thing as a "private conversation" when you're mic'd up?

You'd think not. It was shown in darkness in the car on the way home after judging, but the bad-mouthing of Shaynna transmitted loud & clear. Nine must have rubbed their hands in glee to have found some prime bitching to use.
The same team earlier tonight lied about using powertools after hours. even though that's all recorded too.

I remember - I think it was Darren & Dee - having a domestic all the way down the street once... those mics have great range :D

The D&C meltdown continues:

First the lies about powertools, receiving some of the most negative feedback
ever on the block - not one positive thing, apart from - the curtains.. then rolling their
eyes at the boys receiving positive comments, then the sarcasm, and sulking in the car,
and finally the "bogan"comment. On the production teams board it must have
read: "Villains couple erupt" - check!

Yes their room WAS that terrible. Accent walls not balanced with the in-your-face accent
wallpaper, ugly UGLY bed cushion (seriously who sold them that thing?)
and the colour of that bed throw, and the cabinets colour, and those two fugly prints
hung at weird heights, no this room did not deserve a 6 or a 5. styling was 4 at best.

But the boys - this is where the judges got it wrong. If D&C deserved a 4, the boys
with that hooker's triangle mirror, cheap cutout squares with that old office doors glass -
that room was giving a nasty 80's motel vibe. That was a 3. You can be sure whoever
buys that apartment, first thing they do - rip out the square cutout wall.

As with the en suites, there was no stand out room. It was "been there done that"
apart from that black triangle-art gloss wall, which probably was the winning ticket
in an otherwise bland room by apt 1.

Last edited:
Just saw an ad for the Block & the world is ending.

There isn't a toilet in the bathroom.

The end is nigh.

At least the challenge was in a single segment, and not an entire episode.

I prefer for a family home, a toilet and hand basin to be separate to the rest of the bathroom. In an ensuite do whatever you like.
Lol this argument comes up all the time. I like my bathrooms integrated so I don't have to visit separate rooms to, um, get ready. But then I'm not a family. I don't mind a separate loo but it would have to have a handbasin in it! Otherwise some people (straight men I'm looking at YOU) have some justification in their minds for not washing their hands.

I've notice most one bedroom apartments in PP have an ensuite and also a guest bathroom, which seems a bit over the top for a one bedroom. My guest bathroom has a washing machine jammed into it so you can't use it as a bathroom any more anyway.

Lol this argument comes up all the time. I like my bathrooms integrated so I don't have to visit separate rooms to, um, get ready. But then I'm not a family. I don't mind a separate loo but it would have to have a handbasin in it! Otherwise some people (straight men I'm looking at YOU) have some justification in their minds for not washing their hands.

I've notice most one bedroom apartments in PP have an ensuite and also a guest bathroom, which seems a bit over the top for a one bedroom. My guest bathroom has a washing machine jammed into it so you can't use it as a bathroom any more anyway.
Ah, the bliss of having a washing machine in situ. I have to go the laundrette. The up side is I can do more than one load at a time. I live in a very small one bedroom so my bathroom is all in one as an ensuite. My parents have a family bathroom and a separate toilet but you have to go into the bathroom for the basin. If someone is using the bathroom, the laundry is opposite the toilet. Done that before. The burning thing for me is no locks on doors when you can't reach the door to keep it shut, such as when you are at a party etc. I reckon a lot of us have been caught out in that regard.

I prefer for a family home, a toilet and hand basin to be separate to the rest of the bathroom. In an ensuite do whatever you like.

Same.

The way Scott Cam etc went on it was like a huge mistake.

I think "Puddle Flange" will be all that we remember from this block season.

"what was season 12 about?"
"puddle flange"
"oh yeah, that art deco one"

separating toilet and basin from the bathroom - what are we in 1965?
in such high end apartments, you have a guest toilet - sorry - "powder room"
(so called because thats where they snort stuff and wash face?)
and you have a main bathroom - with bath, toilet, basin. pref. also a shower.
main bathrooms are for kids and have to be functional and easy to clean.

Oh, they know, Meglos. They know.

What they don't know is that they are idiots.

I think "Puddle Flange" will be all that we remember from this block season.

"what was season 12 about?"
"puddle flange"
"oh yeah, that art deco one"

separating toilet and basin from the bathroom - what are we in 1965?
in such high end apartments, you have a guest toilet - sorry - "powder room"
(so called because thats where they snort stuff and wash face?)
and you have a main bathroom - with bath, toilet, basin. pref. also a shower.
main bathrooms are for kids and have to be functional and easy to clean.
In 1965, our family home had the toilet outside, off the laundry and back porch. I dreamed throughout the 60s and 70s of having an inside facility and it does come down to preference when it's all said and done. The powder room is now the separate toilet and basin, yes. I don't have to worry about children and prefer aspects of my bathroom to be compartmentalised.

I think a separate loo was a logical progression of moving the outhouse from the back of the yard to a little room of its own next to the laundry (either in the yard or back balcony), to a little room next to the bathroom, before it got integrated into the bathroom itself.

Back