Skip to main content

Show your pets

This is Puska. Today he was put to sleep. He was a local stray who'd been hanging around our neighbourhood for years after being abandoned by his owners. He wandered around to different houses to be fed, but in the last couple of years he came to realise that I'm the local mad cat lady and decided to hang around my place. He loved nothing better than to sleep in the grass in the sun in our front yard. He was feral and didn't like to be touched, but he did like to be talked to. But today he let me stroke him behind his ear for the first time. He was so sick he didn't care anymore. I'm glad I got to give him some affection before he went. The RSPCA brought him back to us to be buried underneath his favourite grassy patch. RIP Puska, our old friend.

3fba5052-8c76-47e4-98e9-831df9b29ca3_zpsqijerrzd.jpg

RIP Puska. It sounds like he had a hard life. It is so hard for them to build up trust again, and it sounds like he trusted you, and he looks like he was a very healthy and happy kitty in this photo so you should be very proud of yourself.

Reactions: Jam
This is Puska. Today he was put to sleep. He was a local stray who'd been hanging around our neighbourhood for years after being abandoned by his owners. He wandered around to different houses to be fed, but in the last couple of years he came to realise that I'm the local mad cat lady and decided to hang around my place. He loved nothing better than to sleep in the grass in the sun in our front yard. He was feral and didn't like to be touched, but he did like to be talked to. But today he let me stroke him behind his ear for the first time. He was so sick he didn't care anymore. I'm glad I got to give him some affection before he went. The RSPCA brought him back to us to be buried underneath his favourite grassy patch. RIP Puska, our old friend.

I'm sorry for your loss, Alias. At least you were able to make his final years more comfortable for him.

Reactions: Jam
Thanks for your thoughts. We did our best. He would get into fights with other cats and get infections so we caught him and got him desexed. He'd go through phases of getting sick and then better again, but he just got progressively worse over time. The vet said he had too many problems and he was old as well so it was best to put him down. I'll miss him. He was a lovely cat - very intelligent and bright, but he had a real sadness about him. I don't understand how people can abandon their pets.

Thanks for your thoughts. We did our best. He would get into fights with other cats and get infections so we caught him and got him desexed. He'd go through phases of getting sick and then better again, but he just got progressively worse over time. The vet said he had too many problems and he was old as well so it was best to put him down. I'll miss him. He was a lovely cat - very intelligent and bright, but he had a real sadness about him. I don't understand how people can abandon their pets.

Oh, Alias. How sad. At least you know that you did all the right things for your dear, old friend. You made his life and his death a lot easier for him. xx

my father found a cat at the petrol station that had obviously been living a hard life. he scooped up what he thought was a feral old half-starved cat and took him to the vet only to find out he was very young (like a year old), but probably didnt have a lot of years in him.
he ended up living to about 8 years old, but he was always sick, always looked mangy, and never lost his feral streak. he did get fed every day and had a roof over his head if he wanted it.
you do what what you can, and just take comfort in the realisation that you gave him a better quality of life, no matter what the outcome.

RIP Puska - I so LOVE the name xxxx

My PC - came to us, as a stray - but he was like 4 months old. I got him deknackered and he has not left - 8 years on, my feral fellow is so entrenched here, I wonder how he will go with the impending move.

I so love it when pets choose you

Sending you totally, the look of love in that pic
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Marsha and Hooley. My area is really bad for dumped animals and animals who aren't looked after properly. I found my cats in the street around here, and our dog who died recently. He was a stray who followed me home one day and stayed for 13 years. :) Good luck with the move Hooley. I'm sure your kitty will be OK. It's good to know there are caring people out there who look after these animals.

Anyone here have pet insurance? Is it worth it?
What breed do you have? I have a kelpie and he's only ever needed the vet for vaccinations and desexing so it's not worth it for me, but my cousin has it for her pug and it's definitely helped since she was sick a lot as a pup.

What breed do you have? I have a kelpie and he's only ever needed the vet for vaccinations and desexing so it's not worth it for me, but my cousin has it for her pug and it's definitely helped since she was sick a lot as a pup.
She is a dogue de bordeaux, 3 1/2, we got her at 18 months, and she was or is a regurgitator. food gets caught in her esophagus. we changed her diet,and she eats with an elevated bowl, it has settled down a lot now, she is a big dog, but we have already seen the vet about her regurg so that is pre existing, so far that's all that has been a prob, so I am in 2 minds on whether to get pet insurance.

She is a dogue de bordeaux, 3 1/2, we got her at 18 months, and she was or is a regurgitator. food gets caught in her esophagus. we changed her diet,and she eats with an elevated bowl, it has settled down a lot now, she is a big dog, but we have already seen the vet about her regurg so that is pre existing, so far that's all that has been a prob, so I am in 2 minds on whether to get pet insurance.
Oh wow, have you posted a photo of her on here? If not, please do!

Yeah pre-existing conditions aren't covered are they? For me it works if I just put some savings away each month in case of emergency and have a credit card I can use if I'm really stuck, but for others insurance might be better. Was she from a breeder or rescue? Because I know good breeders will health test so she's even less likely to have health issues (although eventually it comes down to dumb luck).

Anyone here have pet insurance? Is it worth it?

We were considering it as our mini foxie has luxating patella and we wanted something for when it gets to the 'need to operate' stage. Found out that as it's a pre-existing condition it wouldn't be covered so not worth it for us just for vet checks and vaccinations. Then again, all it takes is one tick, or some emergency and the cost of care is exorbitant! I guess it's just weighing up the 'what if' cost and like @Tuxie said would probably be better just to put a little away in case.

ps dogue de bordeaux are gorgeous! Would love to see a pic.

Omg she's so squishy! I'm sure I've seen the photos of her before but I have a terrible memory :p I love the portrait! I've been wanting to get one done of my dog but never got around to it.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more helpful haha. In the end it's up to what you feel you can afford and whether you'd rather the security of insurance or try and save the money yourself. She's lucky to have found her way to you :)

Back