Skip to main content

R U OK Support Thread

I do hope Hooley @joyjoyjoy is ok. Haven’t heard or seen her around since she last posted in this thread in September. 😕

Hope she is just having a break and life is treating her much better now.

• Love
Reactions: Tee
Hey, I am still around - either way - It has been hard times here, but I am hanging in there, Who is going to give a job to a 59 year old? Like I have so much to offer - So many Job Interviews - not suitable - Too Old, I reckon - I have NOT registered on Centrelink, and refuse to live on the government ------- but when I hit 65 or 67 or wherever the goal post, It might have to - I am being creative, thinking of ways to make $$$, though what I produce Thanks for being there, even though I was not!

Hey, I am still around - either way - It has been hard times here, but I am hanging in there, Who is going to give a job to a 59 year old? Like I have so much to offer - So many Job Interviews - not suitable - Too Old, I reckon - I have NOT registered on Centrelink, and refuse to live on the government ------- but when I hit 65 or 67 or wherever the goal post, It might have to - I am being creative, thinking of ways to make $$$, though what I produce Thanks for being there, even though I was not!

Hey Hooley!

Thank you for checking in with us. I was a bit worried that you weren't around after your posts in this thread. I am sorry to hear you are having a bit of a hard time. Hopefully something will come up for you soon that's perfect and brings you happiness as well as money.

There is a lot of stigma on going on Centrelink, welfare etc. but we are lucky we live in a country that supports people when they are going through tough times and are vulnerable. Don't be ashamed if you have to get help. You're doing the right thing and looking for a job. You pay your taxes like everybody else. We got to look after each other.

So, I went and bought some veges today, at the local Spudshed - that is a place for veges etc - anyway, the CheckOutChick - that is what I will call her, after what she asked me - she said to me - Do You have a Seniors Card? I was speechless. I mean, like wtf!!!! I still look OK - certainly not 65. I felt age discrimination and I have sent a message to the company saying so. Was a total let down :( and just when I was just starting to feel a bit better about myself ...... oh well, just shows you how insensitive others are and how sensitive one can be .....

So, I went and bought some veges today, at the local Spudshed - that is a place for veges etc - anyway, the CheckOutChick - that is what I will call her, after what she asked me - she said to me - Do You have a Seniors Card? I was speechless. I mean, like wtf!!!! I still look OK - certainly not 65. I felt age discrimination and I have sent a message to the company saying so. Was a total let down :( and just when I was just starting to feel a bit better about myself ...... oh well, just shows you how insensitive others are and how sensitive one can be .....
Yes, that's just plain ignorant. The next worse to that one is when someone assumes a female is pregnant and just boldly goes on to say it, when they'e not!
One of my clients said it to a co worker of mine once, and I reprimanded her over it and said, "Julie, think about it! She's just turned 50. She can't be pregnant"
And Julie had the smoothest recovery and looked shocked and said "OMG, you don't look anywhere near 50!"

People should really think before they speak. It's so rude!
Did you get any apology from the company?

I am worried about my little doggo. She was restless and not eating (VERY unusual, she is a spaniel) and then just started standing around like she was in a trance. Was trying to tell me what was wrong with some very melancholy sounding noises and I took her outside where she tried eating grass. Didn’t really make her throw up, just a tiny bit. She seems to be pooping ok but drinking more water than normal. We went for a very slow walk and she has now eaten a little bit. But it is very disconcerting. Doesn’t seem to really fit with bloat. I don’t think it can be chocolate. Depression or dementia seems way too sudden. Could raw chicken or cooked chicken fat be a problem? It hasn’t seemed to have been a problem before.

Look to be honest here and I know you won't want to hear the voice of reason but...

You are the one that sounds like you are discriminating against age. You are twisted with anger at being mistaken for someone who is just 6 years older than your current age! 6. FUCKING. YEARS!

Why are you so offended? Its just an age. What do you have against people who are just 6 years older than you? Do you think you suddenly become unworthy? Like the worst thing in the world is to be in their 60's?!

The fact that you try and devalue this employee by calling her a "CheckOutChick', who coincidentally is just doing her job and trying to save the customer money where she can, and sent a message to this persons boss to try and get her in trouble, is disgusting to me.

There are such bigger issues to be outraged by, Deb. You're better than this.

Yes, that's just plain ignorant. The next worse to that one is when someone assumes a female is pregnant and just boldly goes on to say it, when they'e not!
One of my clients said it to a co worker of mine once, and I reprimanded her over it and said, "Julie, think about it! She's just turned 50. She can't be pregnant"
And Julie had the smoothest recovery and looked shocked and said "OMG, you don't look anywhere near 50!"

People should really think before they speak. It's so rude!
Did you get any apology from the company?
C'mon February. Really? I hardly think being mistaken for someone who is 6 years older is ignorant.

Now the "are you pregnant?" question on the other hand is an outrage :D

I've not only done it, but had it done to me years ago after giving up smoking and gaining 10kg in a short time.

I'm still not sure whats worse, being the asker or the askee?!

LOLLINGGGGG

I literally never ask now unless I see a baby's head crowning!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Julies recovery was terrific!!!!!!!

C'mon February. Really? I hardly think being mistaken for someone who is 6 years older is ignorant.
Yes, maybe ignorant wasn't the right word, but still, there are probably better ways to approach a question like that. Age is a tender thing to quite a lot of people.

I made the pregnant mistake myself too. I was in my early 20's and learned there and then to pussyfoot around that question 🤭

Last edited:
I am worried about my little doggo. She was restless and not eating (VERY unusual, she is a spaniel) and then just started standing around like she was in a trance. Was trying to tell me what was wrong with some very melancholy sounding noises and I took her outside where she tried eating grass. Didn’t really make her throw up, just a tiny bit. She seems to be pooping ok but drinking more water than normal. We went for a very slow walk and she has now eaten a little bit. But it is very disconcerting. Doesn’t seem to really fit with bloat. I don’t think it can be chocolate. Depression or dementia seems way too sudden. Could raw chicken or cooked chicken fat be a problem? It hasn’t seemed to have been a problem before.
I've only had cats so not sure about dogs, but that does sound like somethings up.
I did a Google and found this ...

"Chicken is a great source of protein for dogs, and it's exactly the sort of food your dog would be eating in the wild. Some vets warn against raw chicken because of the risk of salmonella or other bacterial contamination. For that reason, cooked chicken is safer. "

Hope by now she's feeling better.

Two infusions and she is better. Pancreatitis. That was scary. Very glad the vets knew what to do quickly. And very glad I didn’t wait. I got her there in time for a reasonable good recovery. Very very relieved.

Reactions: kxk
It seems overindulgence over the Christmas period was the trigger. She was allowed to lick the juices and fat from the roasting pan. Goose fat duck fat and chicken fat is now banned.

Reactions: kxk
Back