Skip to main content

Least Favourite BB Series

Least Favourite BB

• Total voters
Anything that didn’t have Gretel hosting I was watching rarely. When she was host watched every ep with up late and uncut my favs 😍

As awful as 2008 was, it's a tight contest with Nine's three seasons. They were such a massive disappointment. And I hope I don't find myself saying the same for the forthcoming season.

As awful as 2008 was, it's a tight contest with Nine's three seasons. They were such a massive disappointment. And I hope I don't find myself saying the same for the forthcoming season.
The shame about nines seasons is they didn't do too badly with some of their casting (some were terrible, but there were some gems in there). It was production and editing that ruined it. 2013 cast had the potential to have some interesting discussions and debates on topics (and quite possibly did and we never saw it) when you mixed personalities like Mikkayla, Tahan, Xavier, Tully, and Tim in together.

2007 and 2013 and 2014 were all pretty atrocious.

2007 was utterly forgettable, all the housemates were low rent versions of ones we'd seen before. And they had that stupid Starburst golden ticket thing.

2014 was really bad for the super convoluted, manufactured story lines. Thankfully it included Queen Priya slay honaye.

2013 was truely, truely bad. Like this shit is UNFORGIVABLE:

In defence of the 2008 season: if you remove Kyle and Jackie O from memory, it was an admirable attempt. Channel 10 were actually trying to make things different, have diverse housemates and so on. And Big Brother actually punished housemates, unlike any other season. I haven't watched it in a while but I suspect it hasn't aged well, it probably comes off as a carnival sideshow now. Probably because 10 were over-correcting so much from the mess of 2007.

And they had that stupid Starburst golden ticket thing
You have no idea how many packs of Starburst I bought... and I didn't even ant to be in the show O_O
In defence of the 2008 season: if you remove Kyle and Jackie O from memory, it was an admirable attempt.
I could not forgive Ten for putting Terri back in. She was out and should have stayed out. That she ended up winning made it a total joke. Unforgiveable producer manipulation.

I could not forgive Ten for putting Terri back in. She was out and should have stayed out. That she ended up winning made it a total joke. Unforgiveable producer manipulation.

Its soooo blatantly obvious that they really wanted Terri to win. The finale is a really good example because they showed Terri's vote percentages halfway through to get more people to vote to evict Ben and Rory.

As for the 2008 season as a whole. It was my first I watched religiously so I've always held a really close nostalgia for it. Kyle and Jackie O honestly are the worst part, but behind that leaves a season with interesting people against a Big Brother that wasn't afraid to be mean and edgy. I feel like it was the epitome of rtv of the time, and was the end of an era for RTV in Australia. Only 1 year later, Masterchef would replace BB on Ch 10 and would become the nations new obsession. BBAU2008 might not be the best ch 10 season, but its one I hold close

BB08 had some of the best housemates (Bianca) and some of the worst (Rory).

And also it had this scene with angry Bianca:

Once Emma left in BB07 the season became boring.

BB14 still the worst because it had Ryan.

And naturally the best ever season was 2003. It had it all:
  • Split houses done right
  • Belindagate
  • Reggie farting
  • Cameramen calling Chrissie fat and her hearing it through the wall
  • Saxon and Gretel love affair
  • Carlo pissing everywhere
  • Ben talking about messed up cop things

And naturally the best ever season was 2003. It had it all:
  • Split houses done right
  • Belindagate
  • Reggie farting
  • Cameramen calling Chrissie fat and her hearing it through the wall
  • Saxon and Gretel love affair
  • Carlo pissing everywhere
  • Ben talking about messed up cop things
Reggie going into the Diary Room for an atlas is still one my favourite bb moments ever

Reggie going into the Diary Room for an atlas is still one my favourite bb moments ever
Memories -

Memories -

I'm fucking crying, the BB voice is so shook from the request AHAHAHAH

2014 for sure the worst. Although the Nine era overall wasn't great 2012 had a decent cast and I give credit to 2013 both for Tim and for them implementing the twist of the Half Way House and sticking with it.

2008 wasn't great at all but even though most changes backfired I will give credit to the show for taking the risks they did. It had become stale with Gretel and she left at the right time for her and the show. I also think they learnt alot during the 2008 season and it was a real shame they didn't get one more series to learn from their mistakes. I know Jackie O is cursed on most things but I think had she been retained as a solo host she'd have been far better than Sonia ever was.

2002 is a rare example actually of a second season of Big Brother not living up to the first. Generally though with Big Brother (and most reality shows actually) there is a pattern where the third series is actually the shows biggest (and it is for me), and that leads to the 4th being deemed somewhat of a flop in it's shadow, and I do think that applies for BB Aus.

To answer the question though I'd say 2006 is the worst season - just forgetable really. And on the flipside I'd say 2007 is possibly the most underrated series.

I didn’t start watching BB until the 2014 season and I loved it so I do have a bias toward it, but I’ve since been watching the other seasons backwards down to 2006 so far and can see that 2014 wasn’t as good as some of them.

My ranking:
1. 2013. This was by far my favourite season. Tim, Drew, Tahan, Ben and Tully made this season, and the rest of the cast was pretty good too and the halfway house and twists were awesome.
2. 2007. Super underrated season but I found it to be really good and Aleisha was such a good pick to win.
3. 2014. Personal bias as stated being my first season to watch but I loved Skye and the Aisha/Travis and Cat/Lawson pairing despite the scandal that came with with it. Definitely some annoying characters though and I understand why it got cut after that season.
4. 2012. Loved the changes this brought comparing it to the earlier seasons but didn’t love the cast. Really disliked that Ben won it.
5. 2008. I went into this knowing it wouldn’t be great, but parts of it surprised me and some of the casting was good with Bianca, Brigitte and Alice but overall a bit of a flop. Hated Nobby. Glad he had to stay in the caravan the whole time.
6. 2006. Had high hopes for this season but it was just such a drag to get though. If finished all other season within a few weeks but binging the episodes back to back some days but this season I really struggled to get through. No standout characters.

I didn’t start watching BB until the 2014 season and I loved it so I do have a bias toward it, but I’ve since been watching the other seasons backwards down to 2006 so far and can see that 2014 wasn’t as good as some of them.

My ranking:
1. 2013. This was by far my favourite season. Tim, Drew, Tahan, Ben and Tully made this season, and the rest of the cast was pretty good too and the halfway house and twists were awesome.
2. 2007. Super underrated season but I found it to be really good and Aleisha was such a good pick to win.
3. 2014. Personal bias as stated being my first season to watch but I loved Skye and the Aisha/Travis and Cat/Lawson pairing despite the scandal that came with with it. Definitely some annoying characters though and I understand why it got cut after that season.
4. 2012. Loved the changes this brought comparing it to the earlier seasons but didn’t love the cast. Really disliked that Ben won it.
5. 2008. I went into this knowing it wouldn’t be great, but parts of it surprised me and some of the casting was good with Bianca, Brigitte and Alice but overall a bit of a flop. Hated Nobby. Glad he had to stay in the caravan the whole time.
6. 2006. Had high hopes for this season but it was just such a drag to get though. If finished all other season within a few weeks but binging the episodes back to back some days but this season I really struggled to get through. No standout characters.

Sad that Clawson broke up.

I understand nine was worried to bring the show back and do it like 10 did it being more adulty, so they made it family friendly. I feel like they were right in being worried cause so many people made comments about the show. considering this i feel like there first attempt wasnt too bad. ok casting, consistency.. but its where they should of and could of gone from there, and thats where they stuffed up. they couldve learned from there mistakes and 10s aswell... but they chose not to.. although there were some improvement casting, stage.. they didnt even compare to 10.

my ranking would be:
2004 - great cast with depth that had good chemistry, mixed really well, really good stage as well.. and had just a good edge/vibe
2001 - great season, best cast, good mix, lots of stand outs, christina, blair, peter, sara-marie, jemma, about the social experiment, what the show should have always looked like..
2003 - great season, chrissie, reggie, really good range of hms, this was the season that built the show.
2008 - this was actually one of my favourites, i loved the cast, really good mix, maybe too overwhelming though, conversations were just really interesting, i actually didnt mind kyle and jackie o, jackie being professional, and then kyle with his side jokes, they kind of complimented each other well, however didnt like how kyle wasnt passionate about the show.
2005 - good cast with standouts, like vesna, tim, logans, kate, christie, however, maybe abit too shallow, conversations werent overly interesting.. this was the point were for 10 the show revolved around 'hot,sexy,singles" as they sold it..
2013 - really good interesting cast, improvement form 2012, but played it too safe, hated the stage and theme, and vibe.
2006 - same as 05 with an ok cast, really only standouts David and Camilla, but just way too shallow, dont feel like they mixed too well, and they really went overboard with the "hot, sexy, singles" tag line.
2014 - i never minded this season, good standouts, priya, david, skye, really good, diverse, cast that flowed. it became more adulty which was good. just way too inconsistent, the move to 8.30 really stuffed them over.
2012 - good revival attempt, played it way too safe, cast maybe too shallow, worst host..
2002 - wasn't really memorable, jess and marty really were the show..
2007 - after 06 they felt abit lost and this was the point the show fell. they did a good job with casting trying to be more diverse, however no one really stood out. there was a good mix, but for me it just didnt pop as well as the others.

I understand nine was worried to bring the show back and do it like 10 did it being more adulty, so they made it family friendly. I feel like they were right in being worried cause so many people made comments about the show. considering this i feel like there first attempt wasnt too bad. ok casting, consistency.. but its where they should of and could of gone from there, and thats where they stuffed up. they couldve learned from there mistakes and 10s aswell... but they chose not to.. although there were some improvement casting, stage.. they didnt even compare to 10.

my ranking would be:
2004 - great cast with depth that had good chemistry, mixed really well, really good stage as well.. and had just a good edge/vibe
2001 - great season, best cast, good mix, lots of stand outs, christina, blair, peter, sara-marie, jemma, about the social experiment, what the show should have always looked like..
2003 - great season, chrissie, reggie, really good range of hms, this was the season that built the show.
2008 - this was actually one of my favourites, i loved the cast, really good mix, maybe too overwhelming though, conversations were just really interesting, i actually didnt mind kyle and jackie o, jackie being professional, and then kyle with his side jokes, they kind of complimented each other well, however didnt like how kyle wasnt passionate about the show.
2005 - good cast with standouts, like vesna, tim, logans, kate, christie, however, maybe abit too shallow, conversations werent overly interesting.. this was the point were for 10 the show revolved around 'hot,sexy,singles" as they sold it..
2013 - really good interesting cast, improvement form 2012, but played it too safe, hated the stage and theme, and vibe.
2006 - same as 05 with an ok cast, really only standouts David and Camilla, but just way too shallow, dont feel like they mixed too well, and they really went overboard with the "hot, sexy, singles" tag line.
2014 - i never minded this season, good standouts, priya, david, skye, really good, diverse, cast that flowed. it became more adulty which was good. just way too inconsistent, the move to 8.30 really stuffed them over.
2012 - good revival attempt, played it way too safe, cast maybe too shallow, worst host..
2002 - wasn't really memorable, jess and marty really were the show..
2007 - after 06 they felt abit lost and this was the point the show fell. they did a good job with casting trying to be more diverse, however no one really stood out. there was a good mix, but for me it just didnt pop as well as the others.

I agree with most of your list. I found 2002 to be very dull, with little to no consistent story lines apart from Marty and Jess, it mostly rides off 2001. I did personally really enjoy 2007 when I watched it, very nice feel good cast over all. However I do agree with most people’s comments about the cast not having any standouts or characters that really pop.

2004 was the first season I watched and easily the worst for me. There wasn’t one interesting or entertaining person in the bunch except maybe Paul. Everyone had a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse and used that as an excuse not to do anything. Half of them were auditioning for hosting gigs so they were all fake nicey nice all the time. Intruders made zero impact. Most controversial moment was SAVE TH REFUGEES and was basically someone doing nothing. Winner was a boring nobody with not one memorable moment except maybe proposing to his wife at the end. I seriously don’t remember anything else about him or anything he did in the house. 2nd place finisher only got there because of sympathy over production error voting out the wrong person. I have no idea why this season is not more hated.

Another awful one was the last one with no feeds and boring Ryan winning. Skye and Priya saved it somewhat, but most of the rest were boring, unlikable and just vile people.

I actually liked the one with Terri and liked that they rigged it for her to win (seriously did you want Rory or Ben to win?) although I can see why people don’t like it. Pamela Anderson was useless along with that awful Corey Worthington. The worst was how they pimped out the “diverse” HMs on the commercials making it seem like it was going to be different and then the entire rest of the cast was the usual single 20somethings with no diversity like 2005-2007, which were all sort of interchangeable.

I really hope they have a diverse cast this year but I think it will just be the same 20something bores they always cast. Aussie BB just doesn’t seem capable of putting together a decent cast.

Ooft, 2020 & 2021 adds a whole new twist to this poll. Who knew 2014 would be a precursor to what was to become of the editing for modern viewing.

2008, 2014, 2020 & 2021 would be an intriguing poll. Although, how do you compare? The show is just completely different.

Back