Skip to main content

If you were a Housemate - Where would your life go, post show?

I'd wish to return to my happy, PRIVATE life. Though, I'd love to have a bunch of guys lined up to date!

I hope my time in the house could highlight transgender issues and help people understand what gender dysphoria is. There are so few (if any) visible transgender role models in this country.

If I was lucky enough to be selected to be a Big Brother housemate I would be in there to win, like most people. But I have no urge to be subject to the harsh judgement of the Australian public.

But once I get out I would probably look up this forum and see what people are saying about me. Then I would create an account and go back and search for every single post that references me. I would then reply any post that I felt was wrong or misinterpreted who I was. I would do this because I am insane.

Exactly like @Estelle.Landy then? Lol.

Maybe have a closer look at that......... seek and you shall find

Wait she is digging up posts from two years ago? But is she digging up every post from two years ago that said something bad about her? Because that would be insane.

Great question.

I've wondered about being in the house but reality always wins out when I realise that I'd lose money even if I won the $250,000 "prize". If BB had stayed at a $1,000,000 prize like it was to start with I would have considered trying out but $250k even tax free wouldn't make sense in my situation.

Even though I'd gain so much in the way of the BB experience which money can't buy as we can agree, I'd also lose so much in terms of real life that yeah the balance really doesn't favour me as a housemate :)

I guess it's the reason you won't get older established professionals etc going in the house. They generally have more to lose than gain.

Those with an eye on public life in the media and show business on the other hand it can be a good launchpad. Although when you look at past housemates and the most successful amongst them I think the earlier hms had the edge riding on a much bigger wave of popularity.

When John Howard was asked to comment on BB that year (on the infamous Lipton thingy) I knew BB had jumped the shark for the Australian public.

Nevertheless life is short. Good on all those brave and wonderful people who do compete and achieve the success they had sought.

It's hard to get ahead in this world. You just have to look for niches and opportunities as they arise. Many times when I had thought doors were closing on me a different much bigger and better door opened up in its place. Look at all the doors and enter the one that feels best is what I would do whatever it is.[

Great question.

I've wondered about being in the house but reality always wins out when I realise that I'd lose money even if I won the $250,000 "prize". If BB had stayed at a $1,000,000 prize like it was to start with I would have considered trying out but $250k even tax free wouldn't make sense in my situation.

Even though I'd gain so much in the way of the BB experience which money can't buy as we can agree, I'd also lose so much in terms of real life that yeah the balance really doesn't favour me as a housemate :)

I guess it's the reason you won't get older established professionals etc going in the house. They generally have more to lose than gain.

Those with an eye on public life in the media and show business on the other hand it can be a good launchpad. Although when you look at past housemates and the most successful amongst them I think the earlier hms had the edge riding on a much bigger wave of popularity.

When John Howard was asked to comment on BB that year (on the infamous Lipton thingy) I knew BB had jumped the shark for the Australian public.

Nevertheless life is short. Good on all those brave and wonderful people who do compete and achieve the success they had sought.

It's hard to get ahead in this world. You just have to look for niches and opportunities as they arise. Many times when I had thought doors were closing on me a different much bigger and better door opened up in its place. Look at all the doors and enter the one that feels best is what I would do whatever it is.[
You earn more than 250k plus tax in 80 days? What do you do??

Thought I would start what I think is a very interesting discussion, based on the life after Big Brother.

OR rather the expected life Vs the REAL life.

What would be your expectations for your career, if any post show?

This could branch off into - Why would you enter to be on the show to begin with?

Discuss.... Given the current wealth that is social media and other reality show contestants screaming out for post TV show work - what would YOU do?

x E.

IF I were accepted and happened to win, I would use that "celebrity" to expand the business I already have.

I would never audition for Big Brother. As I'm a rather shy and anxious person, I don't think I'd be able to cope.

But if I did end up on the show, I'd challenge myself to stay as long as I could. Also, I would be open about my motives. I'd make it clear to everyone that I was there to win. None of the "I'm only here for the experience" BS... Who wouldn't love the money?

Post show, I'd continue on to have a normal life (provided that my reputation and employability were not tarnished by the show). I have no desire to be a celebrity of any kind. Hopefully, I'd fade into irrelevance soon after the season ended.

Here's a few ideas I thought of in the shower:

1. Find a worthy charitable cause you're interested in helping and work as the public face for it. A lot of time commitment and not much financial compensation.

2. Create a game show course -online or real life to teach candidates on what to expect. How to prepare and so on. How to get ahead on the show.

3. In a similar vein a book, either by yourself or with a ghost writer. Include case studies including your own and friends who might also share their insights.

4. Get together with some other high profile housemates and make an independent documentary of behind the scenes BB. May be tricky because of IP issues and may require Endemol blessing or assistance. Or non blessed and showing all the dirt and controversy.

5. Keep that group together and do an indie film. Plot can be based on housemates who decide to go into a game show and their trials and tribulations. So many angles on this and various story elements based on it can be written in.

So many others really. It's only limited by your imagination and your determination.

AFAIC, BB the show (not that the last two seasons have been a show worth watching) is merely a good excuse to have an online forum.

With that in mind, some of us have been "in" BB for, what, nine years or so now ?

We are all virtual HMs ... and ones that poor old TV BigBro and crew can only impotently watch and have virtually no influence over. :D

We're the Real "Live Streamed" show and whatever it is that's on TV os but the sad and contrived parody.

With that in mind, while this forum continues, there shall be no "after BB". :)

regarDS

I guess (obviously) it would depend quite a bit on how long you lasted in the house. The earlier you go, the harder you'd have to struggle to keep your 15 minutes alive, but others that had the chance to build a devoted following (like Estelle) may fare better.

A lot of post-BB housemates tend to favour radio gigs, don't they? I guess you could look at acting, TV work, journalism, um... social media whoring (hi Tully!)

Personally, I've wanted to be a rock star since I was a little kid, but I'd really be better off trying to get on a music reality show. I did audition for "Popstars" once. They told me to fuck off.

I think you'd really be best to play to your strengths, and ideally find something you're passionate about.

Of course, if I'd been a contestant this year, I would take the opportunity as an ex-housemate to get close enough to Alex M and kick him in the bollocks.

:wink:

If I ever got on ...

I would probably land a role in the James Bond franchise as Australia's first Bond

End up dating Kylie Minogue, Estelle and somehow end up with Lara Bingle after she breaks it off with Sam

Then release my own collection of fine suits for men

And spend my days living on a beach in Fiji with my then third wife Bindi Irwin

Back