Skip to main content

If you were a Housemate - Where would your life go, post show?

Estelle.Landy

Former housemate
Thought I would start what I think is a very interesting discussion, based on the life after Big Brother.

OR rather the expected life Vs the REAL life.

What would be your expectations for your career, if any post show?

This could branch off into - Why would you enter to be on the show to begin with?

Discuss.... Given the current wealth that is social media and other reality show contestants screaming out for post TV show work - what would YOU do?

x E.

If i ever do BB i'd do it for the prize money alone. I think expecting any sort of long term career prospects to come out of this sort of "exposure" would be highly unrealistic.

As much as i love BB, I know that at the end of the day it's just a trashy reality show, which isn't an ideal career launching platform for anyone.

Last edited:
Same here. I'd do it to spend three crazy months in a house with random people and winning $250,000. I'd try to get as much money as I could, and would do nothing that would possibly jeopardize a chance at a career.

I would absolutely LOVE to go on big brother and win. However that won't happen cos I'm not hot and I wouldn't want to be famous (for any reason) at the end

I would want to go back to just being a Mum and no one recognise me but that won't happen.

Also I would be hated by Australia and probably be kicked out in 2 weeks for fighting

I do think they need a mum like me on the show though and not the type they usually go for

giphy.gif

To be honest I have neither the courage nor the desire to go on BB.

I'm sure certain opportunities arise afterwards, but the stigma must be very difficult to shake.

Estelle, wouldn't you be the one of the most qualified on this topic? I'd love to hear how you would answer those questions.

How has life been for you after Big Brother?
xo
:)

Were you expecting anything in the way of media work @Estelle.Landy? Especially going into what was for many viewers a new series and no idea if it would rate well or anything?

What is it like afterwards anyway? Do HMs receive offers or do they have to be proactive and seek them out?

I'd smoke in the car while 8 months pregnant. Get caught by paparazzi. Scramble to buy the photos to protect my image but cap out at 50 grand while Women's Weekly outbid me by only a few thousand dollars. I won't have to feel that embarrassed because the week after Women's Weekly run the photos I'll do an exclusive with them (getting paid of course). THEN I will enjoy a lucrative clothing endorsement deal with Big W. Woo hoo.

As for myself, I'm not interested in a media career so I wouldn't expect one from BB. I'd happily lap up my 15 minutes of fame though and I'm sure it is a bit depressing when that ends.

Well I wouldn't go on the show out of desperation to break into a media career. I'd go on out of curiosity as to how long I'd actually last in there. I know I tend to come across in a very different way to how I feel inside - like sometimes I get so focused on what I'm doing that my face just drops (bitchy resting face) and I'd probably get painted as someone who is grumpy and not enjoying the experience. Or I sound snarky and sarcastic without realizing it. Etc.

Sooooo, I'd want to go back to my normal life afterwards or at the very least just have a nice relax at home with my partner and the pets... but I bet it's a nonstop rollercoaster of having to go be a guest at Big Brother nightclubs/interviews/Dreamworld (I'd go mental having to get photos with thousands of people all day!) after you leave. And if I did get painted as a negative/snarky/angry person... I'd probably have to deal with a looooot of public hate. (I'm actually pretty cheerful and good natured, I just don't come across that way at a glance).

Honestly I would do it for the experience and the money... Having no responsibility, no contact with the outside world and just time away would be such an interesting experience. BB would be such an awesome experience, post house I don't think I'd enjoy the limelight even for 15 minutes... I guess nowadays all that happens is a couple pics, few thousand IG/Twitter followers and maybe an interview or two in a magazine. I wouldn't expect a career from it.

I'd resume normal transmission as a public servant in the health industry. I can't see anyone remembering me after the hype was over. I have become a bit of a recluse doing such a long stint of nights that being sociable kind of scares me.

I could imagine the stigma of the show may be difficult to shake, so an office job could be out of the question.

I'd use the 15 minutes of fame to get exposure for some endeavour I had in the works pre-BB. For someone like me, it'd either be exposure for a band I'm in, or exposure for a novel I'm currently writing.

In an ideal world, though - I'd ride the wave of media exposure into either a hosting gig for BB or some other reality show (Australian Survivor revival?)

If I was lucky enough to be selected to be a Big Brother housemate I would be in there to win, like most people. But I have no urge to be subject to the harsh judgement of the Australian public.

But once I get out I would probably look up this forum and see what people are saying about me. Then I would create an account and go back and search for every single post that references me. I would then reply any post that I felt was wrong or misinterpreted who I was. I would do this because I am insane.

I'm 75 years old, sweetheart. Not sure how much longer I'd have post show.

That said, I'd live life to the fullest, like I do now.
What about your grandson? How would he go?

Also tell your grandson to post his voice in the lounge.

Back