Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I hate the sonic sunglasses!!! FFS if they can turn a screwdriver into sunnies, what's next? Turning the tardis into a Harley for "rideable technology"? :(

I couldn't quite get into this weeks ep. Too much channel switching with the NRL GF :p

I hate the sonic sunglasses!!! FFS if they can turn a screwdriver into sunnies, what's next? Turning the tardis into a Harley for "rideable technology"? :(

I couldn't quite get into this weeks ep. Too much channel switching with the NRL GF :p

True, some things don't need to change. They brought the real Daleks back after the dreadful teletubby ones, so here's hoping the screwdriver changes back.

dw_diary_under_lake_recap_051015_hdr.jpg

It’s a new week and the beginning of a new story - and a two-part story at that!Included here are some of the points you may have missed in Under The Lake.

References
We learn that Clara once had an argument with Gandhi. The spiritual leader has, in fact, appeared in Doctor Who before - on two occasions! In 1970’s Spearhead from Space, a waxwork of Ghandi could be seen in Madame Tussauds and in the very first Matt Smith episode, The Eleventh Hour, the Atraxi projected an image of him.

“I was begging for the brush of death’s merciful hands,”the Doctor bemoaned when the pop hit Mysterious Girl by Peter Andre became an earworm for the Time Lord. The song was a UK hit during the same month Paul McGann starred in the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie!

The TARDIS has a clockwork squirrel - Jenna Coleman recently revealed in an interview that she stole it as a leaving souvenir!

The Psychic Paper is back. It was first used in Series One with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper and was last used in the Series Eight finale, Dark Water.

The Doctor has met Shirley Bassey! The singer, known for her big James Bond theme tunes, was born in the home of Doctor Who, Cardiff.

The popular film franchise Ghostbusters is once more mentioned in Doctor Who. Its first came in the Series Two finale with David Tennant and there was another in the Matt Smith story Hide. Santa also used the phrase, “Who you gonna call?”, which is synonymous with Ghostbusters, in Last Christmas.

Familiar Faces & Places
Colin McFarlane, who plays the doomed Moran, starred alongside Peter Capaldi in Torchwood: Children of Earth and also provided the voice of the Heavenly Hosts in the Christmas special, Voyage of the Damned.

The Doctor is familiar to O’Donnell.“You really the Doctor? I’m a huge fan!”she gushes.

One of the ghosts is an alien from the planet Tivoli. We last saw a member of this race in The God Complex where David Walliams played the cowardly Gibbis.

Past Episodes
Under The Lake is set in Scotland, the last time the Doctor appeared in the country was at the end of Peter Capaldi’s first episode Deep Breath, when he and Clara stopped off in Glasgow. Other famous Doctor Who stories set in Scotland include Terror of the Zygons, the aforementioned Tooth & Claw and The Highlanders.

Scottish city Aberdeen is mentioned on the cards shown to the Doctor by Clara. Aberdeen has been mentioned in the Tom Baker story Underworld, 2006’s Tooth & Claw and School Reunion - where we discovered the Fourth Doctor actually dropped former companion Sarah Jane Smith off instead of Croydon.

The story is written by Toby Whithouse, who created Being Human and The Game and also write the Doctor Who episodes, School Reunion, The Vampires of Venice, The God Complex and A Town Called Mercy.

The Drum base features a “Faraday cage” - in the 2009 David Tennant special,Planet of the Dead, a London bus became a Faraday cage and saved those within as they traveled to another world.

The Doctor mentions Autons, first seen in 1970’s Spearhead From Space and last seen in the Doctor Who Series Five finale.

We hear the Cloister Bell ring in the TARDIS, quite a common occurrence for The Twelfth Doctor as we heard it four times in Doctor Who Series 8.

The Cards
I completely understand why it was difficult not to get captured

It was my fault, I should have known you didn’t live in Aberdeen

I didn’t mean to imply that I don’t care

No-one is going to get eaten/vapourised/exterminated/upgraded/possessed/mortally wounded turned into jelly we’ll all get out of this unharmed

I’m very sorry for your loss. I’ll do all I can to solve the death of your friend/family member/pet

Oh dear :p
I'll watch it tomorrow night.
Wouldn't really expect them to like it.

...I watched tonight's show and THEY RUBBISHED DOCTOR WHO!!!!... get rid of the lot of them and install a new cast please!... how... how... HOW DARE THEY!!!!!... obviously they are all completely unsophistimacated... totally unedumacated... they even... they even... made fun of my beloved Daleks!!!!... I may eventually forgive them by next week or I may not!... HMPH!!!... colour me unimpressed!... **Sticky skulks off to have a whimper in a corner somewhere**... cheers.

I'm not really surprised they rubbished it, they don't actually like much. I don't get how they could think it looks cheap though, or boring. Fair enough if they don't like science fiction or think it's silly, but boring?

...that is such a brilliant recap there TickyToc... well done my friend... I see that you quoted my 'GoggleBox comment there Meglos lol!... I'm not really surprised that they rubbished it either... let's face it... the show is about ripping apart every show that they watch and I can't really remember when they all gave good reviews for any show whatsoever so I guess that they've gotta earn their money for doing the show so their opinion doesn't count regardless really does it?... I would love them to list what shows they do like watching... I bet that they are all crap shows... lol!... cheers.

With Gogglebox, it looked like they watched part 2 of the first episodes, hardly surprising they would find it difficult to get into when they have never seen DW before ( there is no way this lot sat through 2 parts 50mins each).

Kind of an unfair intro to the Doctor. They should have given them the fabulous Guide to DW recently repeated and the 50th celebration episode - how could you not love that fun ride. Just any contained fun story one episode - not a Moffat saga like this that is never going to gain new fans.
Still surprised Missy didn't get some kudos, and they would have liked part 1 better.
And also, did you notice you couldn't drag a few away during the action packed ending.

One thing I love about Doctor Who, especially of the classic series, is how lovingly they do all the DVD's. I mean it is really marvellous to see not only do we get to watch stories from fifty years ago over and over again, but with also contributions from cast and crew as well as hours of extras.

Also does anyone here listen to the doctor who audio books? Apparently John Hurt is going to be doing some of them as the war doctor.

I have never listened to the purely audio Doctor stuff, nor read a Doctor book.

TV and all the extras available online are enough for me, plus I used to be addicted to the magazines, I have a nice NuWho collection of mags, I think I might sell them if anyone is ever interested.

When we had Torchwood, Sarah Jane, and just heaps of the cast doing awesome stuff - like Buzzcocks and other panels, interviews, there is an enormous amount of stuff you can get lost in, the Doctor world is huge and I love that anytime I can go amuse myself with a bit of Doctor stuff.
Here is an amusing clip from the US explaining DW to a newbie - sorry make that an idiot, now that I have watched him, the panel people are ok tho.

Peter Capaldi the biggest Doctor fan

Peter & Craig talking about LSD & being in a band together

I miss Craig Ferguson, so much, come back Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Crikey.

There's something I need you guys (do you hear me Mr Sticky?) to analyse for me after you've seen this episode.
I've watched a certain bit back half a dozen times and I can't understand what's being said. I hate it when i miss a joke or important reference but I think they threw this one away.

Crikey.

There's something I need you guys (do you hear me Mr Sticky?) to analyse for me after you've seen this episode.
I've watched a certain bit back half a dozen times and I can't understand what's being said. I hate it when i miss a joke or important reference but I think they threw this one away.
Which one were you talking about?

Crikey.

Do you mean during the phone call when the Doctor called this regeneration a "bit of a clerical error anyway"? That line made me chuckle (and I actually rewound to make sure I'd heard it properly).

Which one were you talking about?

Do you mean during the phone call when the Doctor called this regeneration a "bit of a clerical error anyway"? That line made me chuckle (and I actually rewound to make sure I'd heard it properly).

I liked that line too.

The bit that has me stumped was right at the start after the opening credits, where the Doctor is talking to O'Donnell, and she says something about Rose, Martha and Amy. I've listened to it over again and I can't make out what she said.

I liked that line too.

The bit that has me stumped was right at the start after the opening credits, where the Doctor is talking to O'Donnell, and she says something about Rose, Martha and Amy. I've listened to it over again and I can't make out what she said.
She was basically saying it didn't take them long to get used to the TARDIS conditions I'm pretty sure, Not 100% though

The sunglasses are the sort of thing I would normally expect to hate, but I don't. They are continuing in the tradition of never having mis-cast the Doctor, and Capadli seems to have really found his voice now. And if the glasses set this doctor apart, so be it. I got sick of the sonic back in the Tennant days, when he'd wave it as a magic wand to fix everything. On. He totally fixed everything and erased their memories with his USB shades. Still, I don't mind them. And I like the long coat and the hood. And the guitar too. And it's great that Dr Who is still terrifying to children. A stable constant in a swirling world of change.

Back