Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I've been busy this week and really look forward to reading all your contributions.

But I just wanted to say how excited I am by tonight's episode, we have been spoilt with four excellent episodes so far this season, despite what those gogglebox half-wits said. So I have high expectations for The Girl Who Died, especially as it is co-written by the Moff himself. And with next week's episode called The Woman Who Lived ... how tantalising.

I watched it this morning but waited until everyone had seen it before posting.
I agree, it was a lovely episode. I didn't expect to find out who Maisie really was (or for her to be a returning character), but I wasn't disappointed, she's lovely. The explanation of why the Doctor looks like Capaldi was very well done, and I cheered seeing Tennant and Donna again.
All this and the sonic glasses are dead, excellent.

Love her, love having a new great character who will be totally unpredictable.
She could turn anyway into anything:)
And I agree, loved the Doctor's face epiphany - and it resonates so wonderfully within the story and always anyway, it is a great moment with Donna/Doctor.

...talk about a great story... when 'Odin' drank that vial of testosterone I got to wondering... 'just what would that taste like?... urgh!'... those stupid 'sonic sunglasses' made their appearance again... (get rid of them 'The Moff' and nobody gets hurt do you hear?)... it was a bit misleading for us with the promo (which I thought at least) was for this episode that Maisie Williams was not anyone from The Doctors past... I'm guessing that she is going to say that in next weeks 2nd parter no doubt... seeing David Tennant and Donna for a few brief seconds was fantastic in the scene as to why and how The Doctor chose his face and for what reasons...

...so now Maisie is immortal because she has become a 'hybrid' eh?... perhaps she's going to be a regular on Doctor Who now and popping in and out of the series from now on?... or perhaps she's going to be The Doctors new companion when Clara leaves?... just saying...

...getting back to as to why The Doctor chose the face of Caecillius from 'The Fires of Pompeii' episode... what a great crossover to explain Capaldi' roles as both characters!... so clever... here is a great article on it from this website below...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-17/doctor-who-reveals-why-weve-seen-this-doctors-face-before

Doctor Who reveals why we've seen this Doctor's face before

But where does Peter Capaldi's role in Torchwood fit in?

Doctor_Who_reveals_why_we_ve_seen_this_Doctor_s_face_before.jpg

By Huw Fullerton

Saturday 17 October 2015 at 9:05PM
One of the great mysteries of recent Doctor Who has been solved in this week’s episode, with Peter Capaldi’s Doctor finally answering that burning fan question “How come the Twelfth Doctor looks exactly like Caecilius, the friendly Roman rescued by David Tennant’s Doctor in 2008 episode The Fires of Pompeii?”

Ok, maybe not all fans were thinking that exact phrase (they might not have awkwardly mentioned the year or known the character's name), but it’s definitely something that’s never been satisfied with the answer “the same actor plays both roles and it’s not real.”

After all, within Doctor Who itself it’s considered a crucial plot point. In Capaldi’s very first episode (Deep Breath) the Doctor references the fact that he’s “sure” he’s seen his new face before, adding: “Why this one? Why did I choose this face? It's like I'm trying to tell myself something. Like I'm trying to make a point. But what is so important that I can't just tell myself what I'm thinking?”

Well, a series and a half on he’s worked it out – according to The Girl Who Died, the use of Caecilius’ face is a subtle reminder that the Doctor should always try to save lives, no matter what the consequences, just as he did in The Fires of Pompeii. Back in 2008, it meant saving a family from an erupting volcano at a fixed point in time where he wasn’t supposed to interfere. This week, it meant saving Maisie Williams’ Ashildr even if it also meant consigning her to a life of lonely immortality.

In his own words (displayed in the episode over clips from The Fires of Pompeii, like the one below): “I think I know why I chose it. I think I know what I’m trying to say. I know where I got this face and I know what it’s for.”

“To remind me. To hold me to the mark. I’m the Doctor – and I save people!”

It’s stirring stuff, and not a bad little solution (which also happens to fit in with the fan theory that the Doctor always regenerates into faces he’s seen before).

Unfortunately, it also highlights another question: “Why does the Doctor also look like John Frobisher, a civil servant in 2009’s Torchwood: Children of Earth?”

88638.jpg

Peter Capaldi in the Whoniverse, left to right: Caecilius, John Frobisher, The Doctor

One 'explanation' is that Frobisher resembles Caecilius (and subsequently the Doctor) due to the same “spatial genetic multiplicity” used by the Tenth Doctor back in 2008’s Journey’s End to explain why Gwen from Torchwood (Eve Myles) looks exactly like a Victorian woman he and Rose once met called Gwyneth (also Eve Myles).

This phenomenon was described by former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies as "not familial as we understand it. There's no blood tie. Spatial genetic multiplicity means an echo and repetition of physical traits across a time rift." So it’s basically canonical, and (maybe) isn’t quite as mad an idea as it first seems.

Still, we’ll probably have to wait another series or two to see if we ever get an answer to the Frobisher question – for now, we should definitely focus all our funds and energy on getting Steven Moffat to explain why Karen Gillan also popped up in The Fires of Pompeii, two years before she became Amy Pond. I’m betting the Autons and the Time Agency have something to do with it.

...I so loved this episode for a myriad of reasons... A Viking that faints at the sight of blood cracked me up lol!... The Doctor trying to convince the Vikings that he was the God Odin with a yo-yo was another lol!... I can't wait for next weeks episode ... cheers.

So.Much.Fun.

But this episode is totally feeding my probably irrational theory that Danny will be reunited with Clara by the end of this season. So far, Missy has come back to life, Davros has been granted more life, Missy and Clara seemingly came back to life (by escaping death, so maybe that doesn’t count), ghost Doctor came back to life and Ashildr has been brought back to life. So why not Danny? That bracelet could only return one person home, I don’t think they said that everyone left behind was completely extinguished, they just couldn’t come home.

Moffatt has said that he can think of plenty of ways that Orson Pink could exist as he did, the most obvious being that he descends from another person in the Pink family and that Clara visited the family and explained the extent of Danny’s experiences and bravery. But until I’m proven wrong, I don’t buy that. Clara even had that empathy moment with Bennett over O’Donnell’s death, where she didn’t mention Danny but clearly that is why she understood him. My only hesitation is that she said life goes on, and hasn’t exactly been grieving for Danny, but I still hold out hope that their love will get another chance.

As always, I need to watch again, but off the top of my head I loved … Benny Hill, bold Clara, translating baby-talk, poignant flashbacks, Capaldi’s wrinkles, Ashildr's private playtime, immortality, and warrior juice (thank goodness mr nutmeg wasn’t home, not sure he would have taken that in the spirit in which it was meant). Can't wait til next week.

I watched it this morning but waited until everyone had seen it before posting.
I agree, it was a lovely episode. I didn't expect to find out who Maisie really was (or for her to be a returning character), but I wasn't disappointed, she's lovely. The explanation of why the Doctor looks like Capaldi was very well done, and I cheered seeing Tennant and Donna again.
All this and the sonic glasses are dead, excellent.

...I cheered out so loud when that Viking snapped them in half lol!... perhaps The Moff listened to the howls of protest over them after all lol!...

Love her, love having a new great character who will be totally unpredictable.
She could turn anyway into anything:)
And I agree, loved the Doctor's face epiphany - and it resonates so wonderfully within the story and always anyway, it is a great moment with Donna/Doctor.

...the moment when The Doctor realised about his face was so well done and played out by Capaldi to perfection in my books... cheers.

...talk about a great story... when 'Odin' drank that vial of testosterone I got to wondering... 'just what would that taste like?... urgh!'... those stupid 'sonic sunglasses' made their appearance again... (get rid of them 'The Moff' and nobody gets hurt do you hear?)... it was a bit misleading for us with the promo (which I thought at least) was for this episode that Maisie Williams was not anyone from The Doctors past... I'm guessing that she is going to say that in next weeks 2nd parter no doubt... seeing David Tennant and Donna for a few brief seconds was fantastic in the scene as to why and how The Doctor chose his face and for what reasons...

...so now Maisie is immortal because she has become a 'hybrid' eh?... perhaps she's going to be a regular on Doctor Who now and popping in and out of the series from now on?... or perhaps she's going to be The Doctors new companion when Clara leaves?... just saying...

...getting back to as to why The Doctor chose the face of Caecillius from 'The Fires of Pompeii' episode... what a great crossover to explain Capaldi' roles as both characters!... so clever... here is a great article on it from this website below...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-17/doctor-who-reveals-why-weve-seen-this-doctors-face-before

Doctor Who reveals why we've seen this Doctor's face before

But where does Peter Capaldi's role in Torchwood fit in?

Doctor_Who_reveals_why_we_ve_seen_this_Doctor_s_face_before.jpg

By Huw Fullerton

Saturday 17 October 2015 at 9:05PM
One of the great mysteries of recent Doctor Who has been solved in this week’s episode, with Peter Capaldi’s Doctor finally answering that burning fan question “How come the Twelfth Doctor looks exactly like Caecilius, the friendly Roman rescued by David Tennant’s Doctor in 2008 episode The Fires of Pompeii?”

Ok, maybe not all fans were thinking that exact phrase (they might not have awkwardly mentioned the year or known the character's name), but it’s definitely something that’s never been satisfied with the answer “the same actor plays both roles and it’s not real.”

After all, within Doctor Who itself it’s considered a crucial plot point. In Capaldi’s very first episode (Deep Breath) the Doctor references the fact that he’s “sure” he’s seen his new face before, adding: “Why this one? Why did I choose this face? It's like I'm trying to tell myself something. Like I'm trying to make a point. But what is so important that I can't just tell myself what I'm thinking?”

Well, a series and a half on he’s worked it out – according to The Girl Who Died, the use of Caecilius’ face is a subtle reminder that the Doctor should always try to save lives, no matter what the consequences, just as he did in The Fires of Pompeii. Back in 2008, it meant saving a family from an erupting volcano at a fixed point in time where he wasn’t supposed to interfere. This week, it meant saving Maisie Williams’ Ashildr even if it also meant consigning her to a life of lonely immortality.

In his own words (displayed in the episode over clips from The Fires of Pompeii, like the one below): “I think I know why I chose it. I think I know what I’m trying to say. I know where I got this face and I know what it’s for.”

“To remind me. To hold me to the mark. I’m the Doctor – and I save people!”

It’s stirring stuff, and not a bad little solution (which also happens to fit in with the fan theory that the Doctor always regenerates into faces he’s seen before).

Unfortunately, it also highlights another question: “Why does the Doctor also look like John Frobisher, a civil servant in 2009’s Torchwood: Children of Earth?”

88638.jpg

Peter Capaldi in the Whoniverse, left to right: Caecilius, John Frobisher, The Doctor

One 'explanation' is that Frobisher resembles Caecilius (and subsequently the Doctor) due to the same “spatial genetic multiplicity” used by the Tenth Doctor back in 2008’s Journey’s End to explain why Gwen from Torchwood (Eve Myles) looks exactly like a Victorian woman he and Rose once met called Gwyneth (also Eve Myles).

This phenomenon was described by former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies as "not familial as we understand it. There's no blood tie. Spatial genetic multiplicity means an echo and repetition of physical traits across a time rift." So it’s basically canonical, and (maybe) isn’t quite as mad an idea as it first seems.

Still, we’ll probably have to wait another series or two to see if we ever get an answer to the Frobisher question – for now, we should definitely focus all our funds and energy on getting Steven Moffat to explain why Karen Gillan also popped up in The Fires of Pompeii, two years before she became Amy Pond. I’m betting the Autons and the Time Agency have something to do with it.

...I so loved this episode for a myriad of reasons... A Viking that faints at the sight of blood cracked me up lol!... The Doctor trying to convince the Vikings that he was the God Odin with a yo-yo was another lol!... I can't wait for next weeks episode ... cheers.
The face explanation was beautiful, really touching, well worth revisiting.
And the doofus yo-yo incident was so funny, we all love Doofus Doctor, don't we?!!

REPEATS
Tonight - 7.30pm (usually it is 8.40)
Tuesday - 12.50 am

And @nutmeg - noooooooooooo, I never, ever want to see sad sack Danny again, he sucked
Clara deserves better - half android guy in the bank heist type:)

REPEATS
Tonight - 7.30pm (usually it is 8.40)
Tuesday - 12.50 am

And @nutmeg - noooooooooooo, I never, ever want to see sad sack Danny again, he sucked
Clara deserves better - half android guy in the bank heist type:)

...I so agree with you KIK... he was such a chain around Clara's neck to me... I really hope that if he does come back that it is just for one episode only for IF he and Clara are reunited and he disappears forever... I can't stand his character at all...

...I have now watched this episode for the 4th time tonight believe it or not lol!... I wonder which Scottish Clan those pants on The Doctor belonged to?... lol!... there's one thing that really made me appreciate the way that they write this show... I loved the way when Capaldi regenerated into The Doctor last year and right at the beginning Capaldi kept saying... "why have I chosen this face?... why this one in particular?"... that was set up for the revelation in this show well over a year ago!... as in the 'Bad Wolf' story arc... the good thing is that they plant these clues in the shows for answers to what happens in future shows... even if it is finally revealed over a year later... I just love it...

...every time I watch an episode of Doctor Who I analyse everything that is said because I like to see if they plant clues in there... I remember when John Simms was The Master and in lots of earlier episodes there were Posters saying 'Vote for Saxon' plastered everywhere in some shows and then it was revealed that the British Prime Minister that was voted in was The Master!... that was glorious writing set-ups for me lol!... in all of the latest shows I'm trying to keep tabs on links within the shows that are being set up for a big revelation later on down the track... no clues as of yet though... (yeah I know... I have way too much time on my hands to do this don't I?... lol!)... it's full credit to all the writers of the shows as far as I'm concerned... I so love this show!... cheers.

...I found this great website that has been put together by a woman called 'Petra Caroline Henderson' on this link below...

http://www.henderson-tele.com/police/boxes/bytown.html

...she's put together some artwork of the History of the Police Box and it's myriad of designs that were actually used by the Police when the first ever Police Box apparently appeared in Glasgow in 1890... the different designs had me fascinated so I put this together to show you all just how different The Tardis could've been if the people at the BBC had got it totally wrong and had picked an alternate version to base The Tardis upon... to imagine what Doctor Who would be like today with any other design of The Tardis other than the one we all love and adore now just makes my mind boggle lol!... just cast your eyes upon these designs below... these are just some of them... there are plenty more on the website itself... which one would you prefer if an alternate design had been chosen?... cheers.

THE TARDIS.jpg WHAT THE TARDIS COULD HAVE BEEN.jpg

Last edited:
...while looking at the website above I found some old photos of The Tardis... oops!... I mean... Police Boxes throughout the past... I can't help but have a nice feel about looking at them lol!... cheers.

699597f7a5247d81df5c465496cfc93d.jpg

CFoVc-aWYAAHXuJ.jpg

glasgow-03.jpg

Satellite.jpg

1948-london-policebox.jpg

b8f93c10dd2015890c675170e6c28609.jpg images.jpg

dw_diary_girl_died_recap_191015_hdr.jpg

The Girl Who Died Recap
PLEASE NOTE:If you haven’t seen The Girl Who Died, please stop reading now! This article contains spoilers about the episode.

It’s a new week and the beginning of a new story - and a two-part story at that! Included here are some of the points you may have missed in The Girl Who Died.

Past Episodes
The orange spacesuit returns! In the opening moments Clara wears the memorable gear last seen in Kill The Moon (and first seen in 2006’s The Impossible Planet).

The TARDIS Cloister Bell rings again this year, it happened just two episodes ago in Under The Lake.

Once more, the Doctor reveals his talent for speaking “baby” - first established in the Matt Smith story A Good Man Goes To War and also seen in Closing Time (starring James Corden).

Fans won’t fail to have noticed that clips from last year’s Deep Breath and 2008’s The Fires of Pompeii were used. The latter episode starred Peter Capaldi as Caecilius alongside David Tennant and Catherine Tate (it also featured Karen Gillan, who would go on to play Amy Pond). We last saw a clip of David Tennant in this year’s Series 9 opener, The Magician’s Apprentice.

The Doctor uses a yo-yo to intimidate the locals.The Fourth Doctor, made famous by Tom Baker, utilised the toy in The Ark In Space to test gravity (something Peter Capaldi did in last year’s Kill The Moon) and would play with it frequently over his time in the TARDIS. In the 1996 TV Movie, starring Paul McGann as The Eighth Doctor, the yo-yo popped again.

“I’m reversing the polarity of the neutron flow!” claims The Doctor. Although the phrase is synonymous with The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee), that particular incarnation only said “reverse the polarity of the neutron flow” on two occasions - The Sea Devils and The Five Doctors. Various versions were used over his regeneration. In the modern era, David Tennant reversed the polarity in The Lazarus Experiment whilst the Eleventh Doctor used it in The Almost People and The Day of the Doctor.

The Doctor mentions to the Vikings that he has “held a sword in battle.” In Robot of Sherwood, the Gallifreyan claimed to have practised with Richard the Lionheart, Cyrano de Bergerac and Errol Flynn. No stranger to sword fights, the Time Lord has wielded the weapon in stories such as The Christmas Invasion, The Next Doctor, The King’s Demons, The Androids of Tara (part of The Key To Time), The Masque of Mandragora, The Time Warrior, The Sea Devils and The Crusade.

References
The Vikings talk of “Valhalla” - this is where those who die in combat go to, a gigantic hall ruled by Odin in Asgard (fans of superhero Thor may know all about this).

“Yeah baby!”, a phrase made famous by the Austin Powers series of films, is uttered by The Doctor.

We can spot The Doctor reading a “2000 Year Diary”, a nice nod to Patrick Troughton’s Second Doctor’s 500 Year Diary. River Song also had her own diary to figure out where/when she and the Doctor were in their complicated timey-wimey relationship.

The Doctor gives nicknames to the Vikings. One of the names, Noggin The Nog, was a popular children’s animated show which started in 1959. Another, Heidi, was also a popular kids’ show from the 1970s, based on the classic book of the same name by Johanna Spyri.

Speaking of children’s TV shows, the fake Odin appears in the clouds not unlike the baby’s face in The Teletubbies (one of The Master’s favourite programmes).

Music
The Doctor and Clara use “Benny Hill” theme tune over the video footage of Odin being scared by a longboat. The Benny Hill Show ran for almost 40 years and its iconic music (usually accompanying Benny chasing/being chased by scantily-clad women) was titled Yakety Sax - a hit for Boots Randolph in 1963 (the same year Doctor Who began!). Fact fans will note that this is the first time Benny Hill has been mentioned in Doctor Who.

The Doctor nicknames one of the villagers “ZZ Top” - this was an American rock band well known in the 80s for their beards and sometimes even music. Oddly, ZZ Top are no strangers to time travel, having appeared in the popular movie Back to the Future III.

Series Arc?
“In a way, she’s a hybrid,” the Doctor eerily states of Ashildr at the end of the episode. During the closing moments of The Magician’s Apprentice, the notion of a Time Lord/Dalek hybrid was introduced. Coincidence…?

...I found this great website that has been put together by a woman called 'Petra Caroline Henderson' on this link below...

http://www.henderson-tele.com/police/boxes/bytown.html

...she's put together some artwork of the History of the Police Box and it's myriad of designs that were actually used by the Police when the first ever Police Box apparently appeared in Glasgow in 1890... the different designs had me fascinated so I put this together to show you all just how different The Tardis could've been if the people at the BBC had got it totally wrong and had picked an alternate version to base The Tardis upon... to imagine what Doctor Who would be like today with any other design of The Tardis other than the one we all love and adore now just makes my mind boggle lol!... just cast your eyes upon these designs below... these are just some of them... there are plenty more on the website itself... which one would you prefer if an alternate design had been chosen?... cheers.

View attachment 50238 View attachment 50239
...while looking at the website above I found some old photos of The Tardis... oops!... I mean... Police Boxes throughout the past... I can't help but have a nice feel about looking at them lol!... cheers.

View attachment 50240

View attachment 50241

View attachment 50242

View attachment 50243

View attachment 50244

View attachment 50245 View attachment 50246

Thanks for this Sticky! Awesome work! So Interesting to look at those phoneboxes. Just wondering, when you were living in England, did you ever bear witness to a phonebox like these?

Cheers

Thanks for this Sticky! Awesome work! So Interesting to look at those phoneboxes. Just wondering, when you were living in England, did you ever bear witness to a phonebox like these?

Cheers

...actually I had seen many of 'The Tardis' type Police Boxes BigBrotherCritic because I lived in a slum area at the time in the East end of London and as a 10-14 year old I was heavily involved in a gang of thieves very similar to the 'Oliver Twist' type gang of thieves (yes they did still actually exist in London in the 1960's)... I have actually been in one of those Police Boxes believe it or not... lol!... when I was about 11 or 12 our gang ran amok in a shopping centre where some of us younger members of the gang (me included) had to create a diversion by running and knocking things over so that the older guys could steal stuff while everyone was watching us...

...it was great fun at the time and a great venture until three of us (I was one of them) were caught by two Policemen that just happened to be in the area at the time... funny enough... (I've always been so proud of the fact that I was the only gang member that was never caught and 'charged' for stealing something) and when these cops collared us they actually took the three of us to one of those Police Boxes just outside and placed us in there and told us that they were going to 'nick us' for damaging stuff in our romp... the whole three of us started bawling our eyes out (which you are to do when caught like this because some cops will let you off with a caution after 'scaring' you for a while... this was a basic stock standard tactic instilled into us from day one when you join the gang lol!)... this is exactly what happened with us... after about 10 minutes of us 'bawling our tits off' that's what they did... they let us go (with a slap on the back of our heads to 'scare' us even more) and threatened that if any of us were ever caught doing anything like that again then we will be 'doing time' for it lol!... in between the cries and sobs I could hear the two cops sniggering and chortling at us outside... lol!...

...the reason that they let us go most likely is because nobody had realised at the time that stuff had been stolen in that short span of our time in the box because I'm sure that the result would've been totally different if they had known lol!... we were so lucky to be let go for sure... so needless to say... whenever we were running around London and I saw a Police Box I always gave it a wide berth lol!... the funny thing was... because Doctor Who had started screening in England when I was 10 years old I actually thought (as we were being put into it)... 'we're going into Doctor Who's Tardis!!!!'... we soon realised that we weren't because it wasn't bigger on the inside at all lol!...

...after that little episode The Tardis always held my fascination even more because it was 'bigger on the inside'!... after being in a little one that basically looked something like this below (from memory) from that website in my previous posts...

2015-10-21_15-25-29.jpg

...The Tardis became so much more magical to me than it did before this happened to us... I can never forget the smell of the Police Box because it had a real musky smell to it... it smelled really old and 'dirty' too... it wasn't as clean and tidy as the one above that's for sure... also... I saw one of those cops a few weeks later when my mum and dad took me shopping with them in the same shopping centre... (he didn't see me thankfully)... needless to say I cowered behind my mum and dad so that I remained hidden lol!... and yes... I really was a little bastard of a kid lol!... true story... cheers.

Back