Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

…I’ll be sooooooo happy to vote on Saturday… just to know that we’ll never have to hear that fucking ‘there’s a hole in your budget’ song ever again!… when the Liberals lose the election… I will completely blame it on that miserable fucked shit song!… I fucking hate that song!… cheers.
Im surprised the Lib thinktank didnt come up with a song as an obscure dig at Labor's resource handling.

Oats a la labor

Well I am done and dusted.

View attachment 57879
BrownDaringEwe-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
How does it work when you live overseas? Do you vote in your last present Australian electorate?
Yes. But after six years you get disenfranchised, so this is my last vote seeing as my six year anniversary is next Thursday. Cutting it fine there.

(that may not have been my actual vote btw O_O they sent one to my old address and one to my new address).

Yes. But after six years you get disenfranchised, so this is my last vote seeing as my six year anniversary is next Thursday. Cutting it fine there.

(that may not have been my actual vote btw O_O they sent one to my old address and one to my new address).

I wasn't going to say anything, but was thinking.... O_O

So you got your postal? My relies and friends overseas haven't got theirs yet.

Apparently it's much harder as you can't vote in person at consulates this year, because reasons. Or so I think they said in the group chat.

Haha I didn’t even look at who the votes were for! Hahaha

God help me
Doing AEC online training for election work.....fucked up system, keeps doing weird stuff
And you can’t do it on apple
Just setting up Microsoft account has been hell

LOL what a dick, beating up kids is that good for votes?

FFS now they're talking about boat people again.

If the Libs don't form Government. Expect Boat people to become a big story again. With the fake narrative that as soon as Labor got in, the boats started coming. Completely ignoring that under the Libs they with the cooperation of the media stopped reporting "on water matters."

Any increases in boats will not be due to Labor but because Sri Lanka is in crisis at the moment.

Last edited:
If the US Supreme Court goes ahead and overturns Roe V Wade based on some strict fundamentalist view of what the Constitution meant when written, they should apply the same views to the 2nd Amendment, and rule that it only applies to muskets or whatever firearms were around in 1791. Then they can apply sane restrictions on firearm sales and possession, as in most of the world.

If the US Supreme Court goes ahead and overturns Roe V Wade based on some strict fundamentalist view of what the Constitution meant when written, they should apply the same views to the 2nd Amendment, and rule that it only applies to muskets or whatever firearms were around in 1791. Then they can apply sane restrictions on firearm sales and possession, as in most of the world.

I'll get this disclaimer out of the way. I support abortion, ideally, it shouldn't happen but it is a necessity. I think banning it is wrong. This is one of those posts where even if I am wrong, I am not saying anything wrong but I understand people got hot and heated on the issue. Don't read on if you're one of those.

From my understanding, overturning Roe v Wade isn't bad law. The original decision was the court being political and reaching to approve it. When the constitution says nothing about abortion. It was a stretch to say a right to privacy covers it.

The real issue is that numerous times abortion could have been codified into US law. The constitution wouldn't prevent that, as it says nothing on the issue.

US politics is fucked because those that support abortion decided to not do this. They decided to make the appointing of supreme court justices an ever-present election issue. Choosing that, over actually passing legislation like the Freedom of Choice Act

So where they are is the inevitable end game of playing with abortion rights as a supreme court issue, over just passing it into law. It is a failure by those in politics who support abortion and the politicisation of the court. The majority of Americans support abortion being legal. There is no reason legislation shouldn't have been passed, except both parties exploit the issue during the election cycle.

I just think this context should be known. As I hate bullshit US culture wars bleeding into discourse outside of that fucked up country.

As for the 2nd amendment. They'll probably decide people need to have access to F-35s and tactical nukes to be an effective milia against the state.

I really can't get my head around the school shooting shit. America is such a fucked up country.

On the surface does seem a bit tenuous that the right for privacy means there should be a universal right to abortions... but then I haven't read the US Constitution and don't intend to. Democrats are unlikely to have the numbers in both houses to mandate a Freedom of Choice Act, and then, it could be rescinded the moment the Republicans regain control anyway.

It's so stupid, like same sex marriage. If you don't want to marry someone of the same sex, don't do it. If you don't like abortions, don't have one. But dear conservatives, fuck off forcing your moral views onto people who don't share them.

Another 14 kids dead by a mass shooter in the US, just days after another white supremacist killed a dozen nonwhites in Buffalo, New York.

The GOP = Republicans in the US should be elated that the rights of the two mass shooters were not trampled on! They should be so happy! Damn the dead, who cares.

This is why there needs to be a very clear separation of church and state. The two should never mix as far as I’m concerned.

This is why there needs to be a very clear separation of church and state. The two should never mix as far as I’m concerned.
We can't get that in the US yet... all Xstians are 95% right wing that will vote for any trash as long as they want to kill women for wanting to have an abortion.

Back