Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

Clive Palmer has started rolling out his election ads. Just saw one. 🤮

He needs psychiatric help if he thinks he has any chance of being elected. Will be lucky to pick up more than one seat.

Reactions: kxk
Clive Palmer has started rolling out his election ads. Just saw one. 🤮

He needs psychiatric help if he thinks he has any chance of being elected. Will be lucky to pick up more than one seat.
He is really only aiming for senate seats. Only runs candidates in the Reps to push preferences to LNP and also keep his party name in people's minds when they vote for the senate.

Watching this space.
It has train wreck written all over it. Best possible outcome (for now) is that idiot Joshy challenges and gets up instead... only to lose his seat at the election. Hopefully Dutts will also be gone by then too. There's such a leadership void in the Libs.

Dan Andrews is irrelevant to federal politics.

But he did a great job minimising sickness and deaths in Vic (admittedly after a few early missteps). Unlike the NSW premiers.
The efforts of scientists and epidemiologists will help human civilisation adapt to this problem. Not Dan Andrews. Politicians don't deserve to be thought of as saviours, they can try to delay the problem but they won't solve it.

Last edited:
The premiers were put in that position by Scott, who deliberately abrogated responsibility onto them, so he could blame them if things went wrong, and take credit if they went right. If your side of politics was in charge of Vic you'd probably be singing their praises.

LOL at the Libs if they think Dutton has more of a chance than Scotty to win the next election. Do these people have any fucking clue how to gauge public opinion?

LOL at the Libs if they think Dutton has more of a chance than Scotty to win the next election. Do these people have any fucking clue how to gauge public opinion?

I think the thing to remember is that due to the massive bias in the media here. A large chunk of the population is just conditioned into thinking the Liberals are the default best option for Government.

Dutton is terrible, but I would not be surprised if the large uninformed base of Liberal / Nat voters don't remember anything and if just removing Scott may be enough to settle any qualms they have.

I flicked onto the Dolt report last night and he was rattling on about how meaningless the texts were. It's a distraction and we should focus on what the Gov is doing like opening borders. Where was that attitude with Rudd? He was doing good things, which have paid off especially in the last few years. Looking a head. Yet all the reports of him being difficult to work with. Which turned out to have been a beat-up and nothing. Yet those close to Morrison think he's a corrupt, lying, dishonest, incompetant psychopath and it's not meant to be talked to.

On my recent trip to SA, there was some rich older guy on the boat. Approved of Scotty, hated Dan Andrews. He thought Scott has done great during the pandemic. Dan did terribly. I asked him what Scott did. He didn't know and then complained they helped businesses survive that would have gone under anyway. With Dan, everything was terrible. I explained my position, Dan was doing Australia's policy, the Federal policy. Scott did nothing until it was too late and so failed. He couldn't refute anything, had nothing to say. Yet, he will vote Liberals and will continue to not even know why.

Is it really that much to ask to have some parties with competent and capable leadership and some solid policies?

Is it really that much to ask to have some parties with competent and capable leadership and some solid policies?
Labor went into the last election with Bill Shorten and "100 positive policies". I'm not sure what went wrong. Even among Labor voters there were those who hated Shorten though.

The premiers were put in that position by Scott, who deliberately abrogated responsibility onto them, so he could blame them if things went wrong, and take credit if they went right. If your side of politics was in charge of Vic you'd probably be singing their praises.
Could argue that 2/3 State Premiers on the opposite side of politics to the PM benefitted from the extra exposure. Look at QLD and WA, the reelections. Tough borders and the idea of state sovereignty were very popular. This pandemic was politically convenient for some regardless of the PM.

Could argue that 2/3 State Premiers on the opposite side of politics to the PM benefitted from the extra exposure. Look at QLD and WA, the reelections. Tough borders and the idea of state sovereignty were very popular. This pandemic was politically convenient for some regardless of the PM.
Scott's never been good at his job. That's why he got fired from both Tourism Australia and Tourism NZ.

The Australian left should be careful with the condescending tone that sometimes comes across in political chat, like the 'we know better than those dummies, they're voting against their self interests!' attitude. In multiple countries it's moved people further to the right and works against getting more voters on their side!

Last edited:
Labor went into the last election with Bill Shorten and "100 positive policies". I'm not sure what went wrong. Even among Labor voters there were those who hated Shorten though.
Shorten whilst he had the promise of somewhat competency was an insufferable self intrerested fool. And that shone like a beacon.

In multiple countries it's moved people further to the right and works against getting more voters on their side!
Right wingers move further to the right because lefties are mean to them? :roflmao: Nice try.
Shorten whilst he had the promise of somewhat competency was an insufferable self intrerested fool. And that shone like a beacon.
Compared to Scott he was a shining beacon. I don't have any doubt Australia would have done better through the last two years.

Right wingers move further to the right because lefties are mean to them? :roflmao: Nice try.

Compared to Scott he was a shining beacon. I don't have any doubt Australia would have done better through the last two years.
Not disagreeing timbo. But his disengenousness was his own downfall. Within the party and the electorate at large.

I used the word condescending, not mean. I didn't specifically mention right wingers moving to the right either, I was implying that the condescending tone has helped move people further to the right in some countries.

Not everyone on the left does it but the loud and pretentious 'I know best' green graduate of sociology part of the left have become very dominant in the last decade! I think some centre-left people have moved to further right as a reaction! Doesn't mean they've become right wing.

Back