Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

"So I know EVs can be fast, and fun, and that those two things should make them well qualified to become racing cars. But the noise is just so … good"

My motivations were a teensy bit naughty because I knew I'd draw a "what about the VROOM VROOMS?" response.

But EVs don't have to be silent. Imagine the all new Bathurst 1000:

My motivations were a teensy bit naughty because I knew I'd draw a "what about the VROOM VROOMS?" response.

not quite the same but would be amusing!

Who the heck even watches policy announcements live? Most people don't even see or read about them on the news. Let alone tuning in to watch them announced live.

Sounds like one of those complaints where you could always find a complaint to make your "point."

"Why did they announce their emissions reduction on a hot day. Don't they know people like to enjoy ice cream from ice cream trucks on hot days."

I was watching some of the coverage live on the Friday from the bathurst 1000 on channel 7, then I think during a commercial break I did a channel scan and I noticed Albenese and Bowen making some live policy announcement on the ABC news24 channel. So I thought what the heck let's see what they are going to say live from Canberra during the Bathurst 1000 weekend...lol

This also reminds me that there was no reporting at all from anyone at the ABC at the racetrack that weekend? I think that was a bit odd or possibly deliberate? lol

Anyhow i'm thinking that the leaders from Labor knew that Morrison and Perrottet from the Liberals were at the Bathurst 1000 that weekend so they thought now is some good timing to go live with our policy for next year's election...lol

I find it hard to imagine that all of Bathurst‘s emissions would be remotely comparable to those from a single morning’s commuting in a major city.

Yes that's true mate, but try telling that to the Greens...lol. If they had their way next year's race (or any motor racing anywhere in this country) would be strictly all electric cars! lol

"So I know EVs can be fast, and fun, and that those two things should make them well qualified to become racing cars. But the noise is just so … good"

Have you been in an electric vehicle? I have noticed some on the road mainly the "Tesla" models actually look really cool. I think other car makers are also trying to make their new EV's look sporty and racy to possibly make people want to buy them? I will be the last person to ever own an EV and drive one...lol

Speaking of noise have you ever heard in person some of the formula 1 cars from some years ago? I went to the F1 here in Melbourne back in 2000 and I tell ya they were so loud you actually had to wear earplugs to watch them zoom past you. The V8 supercars are nothing in sound when compared to how loud those old F1 cars used to be! I've heard the current F1's now are alot quieter than what they used to be.

There is no doubt eventually everything will become electric even motor racing. I just hope it's not for many more years yet...lol ;)

LOL! If it's going to sound like the awful Jetsons machine then i'd rather it makes no sound at all! :D

This sort of system seems a bit better. But sadly watching him changing the sounds using the phone makes me think these cars of the future will sort of be another electrical gadget just like a smartphone or something...lol

You know if you want the sound of a classic real dirty old combustion engine, they are still around now and can still be enjoyed for many years to come! lol ;)

LOL! If it's going to sound like the awful Jetsons machine then i'd rather it makes no sound at all! :D

This sort of system seems a bit better. But sadly watching him changing the sounds using the phone makes me think these cars of the future will sort of be another electrical gadget just like a smartphone or something...lol

You know if you want the sound of a classic real dirty old combustion engine, they are still around now and can still be enjoyed for many years to come! lol ;)
This comes as no surprise and maybe it'll settle down the rev heads. When I move out of Phnom Penh I want to buy an electric motorbike (can't have one here as I don't have onsite parking to be able to charge it). I actually wouldn't mind if it made the Jetsons sound tbh. But I'm sure what the guy is selling will prove popular. If you want your horn to go MEEP MEEP, Roadrunner style, it's probably no problem at all. :D

There are rental motorbikes across the city here and I've used them a few times. Last time was the other evening and the lights didn't work, so not only could noone hear me coming, they couldn't see me either, so I had to be extra careful. They cost US 5c/min and you can park them anywhere when you're done so that's pretty handy.

You know if you want the sound of a classic real dirty old combustion engine, they are still around now and can still be enjoyed for many years to come! lol;)
I wonder if this sound is intuitive so when you are at different revs it would sound different? If so he should have shown that.

Yes I have been in an electric car and hybrid before as passengers. I do find the quietness a little disconcerting as someone not used to it especially when stopped at lights. I kept feeling like the car had conked out! I am not anti them as a concept especially for inner-city driving to and from an office job but I do not know if they could fully replace every vehicle until there is some better solutions.

I wonder if this sound is intuitive so when you are at different revs it would sound different? If so he should have shown that.
You'd have to hope so. Would be a bit silly otherwise.

I do find the quietness a little disconcerting as someone not used to it especially when stopped at lights. I kept feeling like the car had conked out!
Not so long ago I was out for a walk and happened upon a Khmer couple in an alley who had just taken delivery of a new moped-style electric scooter. They turned the key and hadn't figured out it was "on" because it hadn't made any sound. I did the throttle motion to them, and they got the idea. They then took turns riding it up and down the alley. Was quite cute actually.

Yes I have been in an electric car and hybrid before as passengers. I do find the quietness a little disconcerting as someone not used to it especially when stopped at lights. I kept feeling like the car had conked out! I am not anti them as a concept especially for inner-city driving to and from an office job but I do not know if they could fully replace every vehicle until there is some better solutions.

Ok, Speaking of conking out, what about the current modern cars that I always hear at the traffic lights next to me that automatically stop the engine then they restart when you take off again? I always find that sound weird and well they must always have that "conked" out feeling everytime they come to a compete stop? lol. I guess these modern cars do this to save fuel and be more efficient but gees I wonder how tough the starter motors are on those models that are constantly starting and stopping the engine all the time...lol

Ok, Speaking of conking out, what about the current modern cars that I always hear at the traffic lights next to me that automatically stop the engine then they restart when you take off again? I always find that sound weird and well they must always have that "conked" out feeling everytime they come to a compete stop? lol. I guess these modern cars do this to save fuel and be more efficient but gees I wonder how tough the starter motors are on those models that are constantly starting and stopping the engine all the time...lol
I have wondered how fuel efficient those cars are. I guess they must be. Whenever I see or hear about those cars I get flashbacks my childhood in the early eighties where I lived quite a distance from my primary school and so did a few families up our way so we car pooled. One of the women always used to try and save on fuel by turning off the engine of her little triumph herald and coast all the way down the hill.

Do they have longer lasting Starter Motors, that’s what I have always wondered. I sometimes drive a VW Golf for work and it annoys me when it stops at lights, especially in summer as the air con stops and it starts blowing hot air in your face! I always turn it off when I jump in the car too.
Also I turn off the lane assist thing, otherwise you lose power when avoiding potholes on the road.

He is surely losing, he is useless at EVERYTHING, domestic disaster, foreign utterly embarrassing.....x many times over
Has he done anything positive at all?

Apparently Scott got absolutely mauled by the media's questions at National Press Club today.

.......all the gossip is death to scumo

Gladys emails and somebody else, damning him as useless
Fantastic his own party will sink the prick
Will he get dumped before May?

Last edited:
Plenty of people fall for his do-nothing but have a slogan style of politics. The same reason they haven't heard about all the corruption, sports rorts etc, means they won't even hear about Glady's e-mails.

Reactions: kxk
Back