Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

As I have mentioned previously I am a bit biased and very into any classic machinery that basically burns fossil fuels...lol

Yes it does look like the good old days are over and it's only a matter of time when they start to phase out most fossil fuel dinosaur technology in favour for new modern electric alternatives. For me though I will not convert or change to anything electric until I have no choice. That is when they no longer allow us to purchase petrol from a local service station then I will have no choice but to buy a damn electric lawnmower or car to keep on living. Mind you I hope this isn't done for a very very long time.

Also from many reports it's understood on a global scale Australia only produces around 1% of total world carbon emissions. Yet we are told by world leaders and the greens/labor (sorry after I hear Anthony Albenese open his mouth and rant on about electric cars this and reducing emissions that I sometimes think he's now the greenie greens leader) to do more to reduce emissions I actually agree totally with Scott Morrison's position on this issue. One of world's biggest polluters China didn't even turn up to this event then you hear some people from that event saying "Oh we can't understand why Australia isn't doing more on this or some garbage" oh please give us a break and bugger off! Where was China and Russia at this event? China emits around 30% of global emissions and they basically gave everyone the middle finger at this event. I mean seriously to tackle this problem if you can't get the world's largest emitters on board then there isn't much a country like Australia with around 1% of global emissions can seriously do. Yet it seems we are targeted like we are one of the world's biggest emitters.

I will basically support whichever political party that will let me still enjoy my classic petrol burning motor vehicle and lawnmower and garden tools for many many years to come! LOL!

Also for those that may not know much about lawnmowers etc. Do many of you people remember the good old Victa 2 stroke aussie made lawnmowers? Anyway the government has actually banned the sale of any new 2 stroke lawnmowers because they are basically too dirty and polluting and well whatever other bullshit the greenies have sunk their teeth into now and we have lost our own aussie made legend which we can't even buy new here anymore. Oh but there's no ban on buying any other 4 stroke lawnmowers on the market that from some media reports (although the greenies also have these on their hitlist to go next and force everyone to go electric) are just as polluting as the 2 stroke lawnmowers but anyone can still buy these from anywhere today. It makes me sad that we have lost all our car manufacturing in this country and we have also lost even our good old little aussie 2 stroke lawnmowers aswell.

Just to mention how dodgy all this banning of the sale of any new Victa 2 stroke lawnmowers is. There is no ban at all on the sale of all other supposedly dirty smoky highly polluting 2 stroke engine items like "line trimmers, chain saws, and leaf blowers". Yes WTF you might say? Well it seems that the humble little old dirty polluting 2 stroke engine is still the best little cheap bang for buck motor for those garden tools that they simply can't replace it with anything in the time being...lol So I guess then it's ok to still sell these to the general public for now.

Been electric with the garden tools for years now. Mower, leaf blowers etc. Not for any ideological reason, it's just way easier. It's come a long way.

Let's say China isn't investing heavily in renewables. They are. They're the global leader on investment in renewables. They aren't dumb. It's just complicated when looking at their emissions, growth, CO2 and investment in renewables. One also has to factor in how much of their CO2 output is making crap for the rest of the world.

Buying electronics made in China with CO2 output, sailed across the seas on large ships emitting CO2. Then going, "it's not our emissions" is stupid. That's just part of the complex nature of this stuff.

Let's say China isn't investing and rolling out renewables. We constantly hear of the "threat of China." Well wouldn't this be one of them?" Refusal to act on emissions reduction. A global threat. So why the fuck would any logical response to that be, "well fuck it, let's also contribute to that global threat and make things worse." It's stupid.

We've already seen in Australia that new coal power plants don't make financial sense, with the Government coming in to suggest funding them at a loss because no one will invest in them. We're building coal mines with no sound business case because the coal export marketing is going to disappear. Losing billions of tax payers money so a few rich people can make some cash in the dying days of the industry. Meanwhile, developers of green technologies are going overseas to places like China to get funding because there's no local support. We're a dumb country.

It makes no sense.

The Government is out of touch with what people want to be doing. we need to have solutions to allow as much solar power be generated and stored as possible not switched off, and people who are have invested in solar should not be punished for making that investment. I would love to know what other countries do this?

Been electric with the garden tools for years now. Mower, leaf blowers etc. Not for any ideological reason, it's just way easier. It's come a long way.

Let's say China isn't investing heavily in renewables. They are. They're the global leader on investment in renewables. They aren't dumb. It's just complicated when looking at their emissions, growth, CO2 and investment in renewables. One also has to factor in how much of their CO2 output is making crap for the rest of the world.

Buying electronics made in China with CO2 output, sailed across the seas on large ships emitting CO2. Then going, "it's not our emissions" is stupid. That's just part of the complex nature of this stuff.

Let's say China isn't investing and rolling out renewables. We constantly hear of the "threat of China." Well wouldn't this be one of them?" Refusal to act on emissions reduction. A global threat. So why the fuck would any logical response to that be, "well fuck it, let's also contribute to that global threat and make things worse." It's stupid.

We've already seen in Australia that new coal power plants don't make financial sense, with the Government coming in to suggest funding them at a loss because no one will invest in them. We're building coal mines with no sound business case because the coal export marketing is going to disappear. Losing billions of tax payers money so a few rich people can make some cash in the dying days of the industry. Meanwhile, developers of green technologies are going overseas to places like China to get funding because there's no local support. We're a dumb country.

It makes no sense.

So how are those electric mowers, leafblowers working out for you mate? I have had the same Victa 2 stroke lawnmower which we purchased in the family back in 1982 and i'm still using the same lawnmower to this day! 39 years with the same aussie built to last tough old lawnmower! I bet your electric garden tools will be lucky to last just past the warranty period...lol Have you got an electric car yet mate? I'm sure if Labor gets in at the next election good old Anthony Albenese (who always talks about electric cars) and Adam Bandt will give us all free electric cars and electric everything else to save the planet and lower our emissions...lol :rolleyes:

I am also using a 2 stroke line trimmer and a 2 stroke leaf blower which I found thrown on a nature strip down the road. The only thing wrong with them was they needed a little cleanup and a little repair on the throttle control with the line trimmer. I now use them all the time when I do the mowing around here. See that's the problem with society now everyone just chucks things out even if they still work and they probably just go out and buy some new crappy cheap ass plastic electric dodgy toy garden tools that are designed to only last just past the warranty period. I am of the old school type that likes using things that are built to last.

Also wasn't it just a few years ago now or something I remember the news reports maybe it was from South Australia where they kept having power outages all the time when the power system was at it's peak probably in the summer months when everyone was using the air conditioning or something? I'm sure there was big arguments about how some certain governments back then were relying to much on this renewable energy like wind turbines and solar. Problem with these is what happens at night when there is no sun shining and also what happens to the wind turbines when there is no wind? Yes they say there is battery storage but can these batteries run a whole city or state for the whole day or night when everyone wants to keep their air conditioning running the whole night? I remember there was a big thing back then about it probably because the damn greenies who all want to stop coal power stations and replace them with these renewables which aren't as reliable as a baseload power supply. This argument just goes around in circles and it seems all these years later many have forgotten about all the blackouts that were happening in some certain area's that relied too much on renewables which wasn't as reliable as the old coal power stations.

Like I said Australia emits around 1% of total global emissions, how much we reduce or however much the greenies want us to bottle our farts and turn all our roads into friggen bike lanes and just rely on wind turbines and solar power to run this whole country, will reducing our 1% emissions by a bee's dick do any difference to the global emissions?. I was listening to the leader of the greens Adam Bandt the other night on Q&A. When asked about what he thought our future for power was he said exactly what I just mentioned above (wind and solar, that's it). Well that's all great said and done and it's free to dream but what happens all night when the sun doesn't shine and the wind stops? It's not like people just switch off everything at night do they? Anyway the funniest thing he said was that the greens will probably have a majority in the next federal election and that they will push to get these options for renewable energy through parliament...LOL. Good luck with the majority in federal parliament mate! LOL! When they asked the greens leader what do you think about nuclear power he was nope it's too dangerous and we don't want to have chernobyl's everywhere in Australia. I don't think they are as bad as what the greens leader makes them out to be but anyway... :rolleyes:

Sadly though if you want good solid reliable clean energy here you have to seriously think about possibly going with nuclear power generation.

Last edited:
So how are those electric mowers, leafblowers working out for you mate? I have had the same Victa 2 stroke lawnmower which we purchased in the family back in 1982 and i'm still using the same lawnmower to this day! 39 years with the same aussie built to last tough old lawnmower! I bet your electric garden tools will be lucky to last just past the warranty period...lol Have you got an electric car yet mate? I'm sure if Labor gets in at the next election good old Anthony Albenese (who always talks about electric cars) and Adam Bandt will give us all free electric cars and electric everything else to save the planet and lower our emissions...lol :rolleyes:

I am also using a 2 stroke line trimmer and a 2 stroke leaf blower which I found thrown on a nature strip down the road. The only thing wrong with them was they needed a little cleanup and a little repair on the throttle control with the line trimmer. I now use them all the time when I do the mowing around here. See that's the problem with society now everyone just chucks things out even if they still work and they probably just go out and buy some new crappy cheap ass plastic electric dodgy toy garden tools that are designed to only last just past the warranty period. I am of the old school type that likes using things that are built to last.

Also wasn't it just a few years ago now or something I remember the news reports maybe it was from South Australia where they kept having power outages all the time when the power system was at it's peak probably in the summer months when everyone was using the air conditioning or something? I'm sure there was big arguments about how some certain governments back then were relying to much on this renewable energy like wind turbines and solar. Problem with these is what happens at night when there is no sun shining and also what happens to the wind turbines when there is no wind? Yes they say there is battery storage but can these batteries run a whole city or state for the whole day or night when everyone wants to keep their air conditioning running the whole night? I remember there was a big thing back then about it probably because the damn greenies who all want to stop coal power stations and replace them with these renewables which aren't as reliable as a baseload power supply. This argument just goes around in circles and it seems all these years later many have forgotten about all the blackouts that were happening in some certain area's that relied too much on renewables which wasn't as reliable as the old coal power stations.

Like I said Australia emits around 1% of total global emissions, how much we reduce or however much the greenies want us to bottle our farts and turn all our roads into friggen bike lanes and just rely on wind turbines and solar power to run this whole country, will reducing our 1% emissions by a bee's dick do any difference to the global emissions?. I was listening to the leader of the greens Adam Bandt the other night on Q&A. When asked about what he thought our future for power was he said exactly what I just mentioned above (wind and solar, that's it). Well that's all great said and done and it's free to dream but what happens all night when the sun doesn't shine and the wind stops? It's not like people just switch off everything at night do they? Anyway the funniest thing he said was that the greens will probably have a majority in the next federal election and that they will push to get these options for renewable energy through parliament...LOL. Good luck with the majority in federal parliament mate! LOL! When they asked the greens leader what do you think about nuclear power he was nope it's too dangerous and we don't want to have chernobyl's everywhere in Australia. I don't think they are as bad as what the greens leader makes them out to be but anyway... :rolleyes:

Sadly though if you want good solid reliable clean energy here you have to seriously think about possibly going with nuclear power generation.

It's just more bullshit about turning quality of life in Australia to a third world shit hole.

We have no choice about the switch to electric. We gave up any say in that when the Liberals closed the local car manufacturing industry. BTW I'm still waiting on my super cheap Mazda's from Japan we were promised...

Giving up our capacity to produce cars makes us reliant on outside manufactures. All the major brands are changing to electric. We have ZERO choice in that. We can prepare or we can not.

Not preparing leads to a situation where we can't have electric cars. Or at least many can't because the infrastructure doesn't exist. People can complain about our geography compared to small European nations all they want. That doesn't excuse not rolling out infrastructure to cope. Or closing the capacity to find our own solutions, building to our own needs.

If we don't adapt now. It will mean a quick, rapid and more costly fast rollout out of desperation. Or we'll be in a situation where we become like a poor third world nation importing second-hand combustion engine cars from first world countries once they are done with them. As well as relying on shit tier car manufacturers.

Unless you're wealthy and living in the right areas.

I don't know whether solar stuff is cheaper in SEA, but for the amount of electricity I use, I could build an off-grid system with batteries for less than US$4000, if I installed it myself. And during the afternoons I'd be producing more power than I currently use, so I'd be able to enjoy the AC more than I currently do.

A breakdown of the backgrounds of the Australian parliament. Not as elitist as the US or UK, a lack of non-white representation probably the stand out issue. Nothing too surprising though, except I would not have guessed the Greens had less tertiary qualified than Liberal or Labour, although given their small numbers that may not be statistically significant.

This is not even satire. It's real. OMG.

FE6S1kHVEAI9_J6

As an auto enthusiast and a motor sport fan I guess for me and many others in this country will probably never forget the timing of when Anthony Albenese and Chris Bowen from the Labor party decided to come out and declare their new reduced emissions targets for the upcoming next federal election during the annual Bathurst 1000 race weekend. I swear there must not be one single damn car enthusiast with the current Labor mob up there in Canberra! For me personally and many other motorsport and classic car fans around the country the timing from the Labor party to release this policy couldn't have been any worser!

On the flip side I was at least glad to see that Scott Morrison and Dominic Perrottet both attended the annual Bathurst 1000 car racing event and I can tell you they would have the support of many car enthusiasts and motorsport fans around the country at the moment.

You know even the heads of Labor in Canberra should know better than to release new emission reducing policies during the annual Bathurst 1000 car racing event. This is a major Australian motor racing event and attracts an international audience.

Anyway not that I think there is any classic car enthusiasts on this forum, let alone any motorsport fans here...lol. But from someone in my shoes at the moment the Labor party certainly isn't winning any votes with what they announced during the biggest local motor racing event held in Australia.

What’s wrong with announcing a policy during the Bathurst 1000?

LOL! Do you know how much carbon emissions those V8 supercars emit? A major political party goes out and basically says screw your large carbon emitting annual car racing event we are going to crush you and your gas guzzling car enthusiasts into the ground even faster with our new greenie controlled lefty policy of even faster and harsher emissions reductions.

Mate if you were a motor racing fan you'd know where i'm coming from. Like I said Scott Morrison and Dominic Perrottet both from the Liberal side of politics were at the annual iconic Australian motor racing event. The other 2 puppets from the (Greens?) Labor party (Anthony Albenese and Chris Bowen) decided now is the perfect time to crush all these petrol heads with the release of our new harsher emissions reducing policy whilst this mass gathering of petrol heads and big gas guzzling V8's motor racing event is on.

In a nutshell the Bathurst 1000 is a major carbon emitting event. (Greens) and Labor is now seen as destroying events like these even faster than the coalition. Can't really explain it much more clearly than that.

Who the heck even watches policy announcements live? Most people don't even see or read about them on the news. Let alone tuning in to watch them announced live.

Sounds like one of those complaints where you could always find a complaint to make your "point."

"Why did they announce their emissions reduction on a hot day. Don't they know people like to enjoy ice cream from ice cream trucks on hot days."

I find it hard to imagine that all of Bathurst‘s emissions would be remotely comparable to those from a single morning’s commuting in a major city.

Back