Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I generally consider myself centrist when it comes to politics (both sides fucking shit me - and its becoming harder to see the difference between the Libs & Labor these days), and whilst some of the woke 'lefty' shit gets a bit tiring, its the disgusting self serving attitudes of the right that makes me lean left. Prime example is this 'Religious Discrimination Bill' in parliament at the moment that disgusts me to my core and makes my blood boil.

I also find Scotty ridiculously unlikeable and a liar, and for that reason, he will never get my vote.

Bit of a victim of time and circumstance too was ol shortern. A close personal friend was his PA for several years. Met the bloke a few times. Whilst obviously a very capable man, he was slipperier than a soapy bucket of eels. His personal naked ambition shone so brightly, even going back to his ACTU days and ultimately burnt him under the scrutiny of the highest level. And the ALP couldnt afford another disaster like the Rudd debacle.
And we have come full circle cos now we have a sanitised version for middle australia in charge of the nation. A man a lot less capable.
Welcome to politics.

Bit of a victim of time and circumstance too was ol shortern. A close personal friend was his PA for several years. Met the bloke a few times. Whilst obviously a very capable man, he was slipperier than a soapy bucket of eels. His personal naked ambition shone so brightly, even going back to his ACTU days and ultimately burnt him under the scrutiny of the highest level. And the ALP couldnt afford another disaster like the Rudd debacle.
And we have come full circle cos now we have a sanitised version for middle australia in charge of the nation. A man a lot less capable.
Welcome to politics.
He always came across to me as a sensible and (as you say) capable man. A bit ordinary/lacking in charisma, but that's not important. I really do believe he would have done a good job and it's Australia's loss that he didn't become PM. Either way it's all bygones now.

Reactions: kxk
I generally consider myself centrist when it comes to politics (both sides fucking shit me - and its becoming harder to see the difference between the Libs & Labor these days), and whilst some of the woke 'lefty' shit gets a bit tiring, its the disgusting self serving attitudes of the right that makes me lean left. Prime example is this 'Religious Discrimination Bill' in parliament at the moment that disgusts me to my core and makes my blood boil.

I also find Scotty ridiculously unlikeable and a liar, and for that reason, he will never get my vote.

The biggest issue I notice is that the Libs aren't forward-thinking or proactive. It's just protecting big business and doing nothing. No vision or plan for a better future.

We've lost at least a decade of progress on energy policy since the Libs gained power. Reversed progress being mad by the last Labor government. This is an issue that involves proactive thinking and policies. Yet they can't look forward. While financially unviable coal mines close, they'd rather complain about it, toss around ideas of spending billions to prop them up, bring lumps of coal to the floor of parliament as props than even consider there are new ways forward. The country just suffers in the meantime because they can't actually attempt to solve the issue.

The country is going to face an economic reckoning in the next 30 years within the energy export sector, but they just refuse to acknowledge it.

The entire pandemic has been to the least possible until you have to. Rejecting offers of vaccines, offers of local manufacturing of vaccines. Just head in the sand, doing the least possible. Then when it turns out they can't deny it. They announced securing vaccines. When they hadn't. Then actually getting them was a complete cluster fuck and delayed.

In the last election, Shorten had a sensible electric car policy. Anyone that knows anything about the car industry is that all the major manufacturers are switching to predominantly electric throughout the next decade. Labor looks to the future, had a policy to adapt. The Libs just run on bullshit that denies reality, denied looking to the future and said Labor was trying to ruin the weekend and take away your ute. Change is bad, even if it's inevitable and not adjusting now is worse for the country.

Did they know they were lying? I don't think they even care. They can't look or consider anything beyond the immediate.

Just look at the whole NBN debarkle. A forward-thinking policy for the future of Australia that constantly got attacked by the Libs and their media allies. They can't look forward. They get into power, so what do they do? Strip out the latest technology and focus on using old technology and wires to create a subpar version of it. Copper wires, really?

Even sabotaged, where would we have been throughout the pandemic without the NBN? How would working from home have been without the NBN? What was the value to the economy? Peoples mental health. Where would we have been if everyone had the original plan with fibre to the premises and at least 100mb/s?

I still can't even think of anything the Libs have achieved since they gained Federal power.

I still can't even think of anything the Libs have achieved since they gained Federal power.
Marriage Equality. And only because the public forced their hand. And now they're using their (probable) last gasp in government to punish/get revenge on the LGBTQI+ community with their religious privilege bill. Labor had better not support this bullshit. I will lose my fucking mind. If people choose to believe in a god/gods that's their choice. They should not be afforded special rights for that. Same laws should apply to them as everyone else.

Marriage Equality. And only because the public forced their hand. And now they're using their (probable) last gasp in government to punish/get revenge on the LGBTQI+ community with their religious privilege bill. Labor had better not support this bullshit. I will lose my fucking mind. If people choose to believe in a god/gods that's their choice. They should not be afforded special rights for that. Same laws should apply to them as everyone else.

This bill is fucking revolting, and should be quashed immediately. The fact that its even being debated to begin with is atrocious and I find it concerning that Labor hasn't come out and publicly distanced itself from the bill or refused to support it.

Scotty has 9 sitting days left before the next election, and rather than do something productive, the moron is using his time to legislate discrimination against people and children from minority groups. It will be a very sad day in this country should this become law.

‘Unnecessary’: Perrottet’s view on discrimination bill

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has offered some mild criticism of the religious discrimination bill.

“I’d be reluctant to provide a commentary on it, because I think that would simply be a distraction from the issues at hand,” Mr Perrottet told reporters.

“I’ve made it very clear that I don’t believe legislation in this space is necessary, and I think it can end up creating more problems.”

Mr Perrottet has been very open about his own faith in the public sphere, and like Scott Morrison he is a Liberal, so his view on the matter does carry a bit of weight.

Domicron with something useful to say for once..

^ Yeah. I agree. I was thinking that this bill causes more problems in society than to actually help protect anyone.

Opposition leader Anthony Albanese said it was “extraordinary” the government had ended up voting against one of their own bills.

Not as 'extraordinary' as you not killing the bill in the lower house, Albo. At least the Libs that crossed the floor have balls. What a fuckwitt.

Breaking: Religious discrimination laws will be put on hold while the Prime Minister pushes for a Senate inquiry into how they would affect transgender students.

Someone reminded Scotty there was an election coming up..

Reactions: kxk
Is it really that much to ask to have some parties with competent and capable leadership and some solid policies?

Apparently

Hmm, it is so disheartening, we so badly need just basic competence, not asking much
Time for a proper, ethical choice, we need a new big party
2 shitty powers with no vision, no interest in making our world better, it is so depressing

“The future is female” if only Labor would put forward a female team, because the women in Labor are far more
talented and impressive.

And young women.... wow, that press club address, how brilliant and brave
Brittany Higgins and Grace Tame give me some hope

And, by the way....Grace Tame is autistic, only 1 article has mentioned this

Her behaviour I find honest and admirable, how she feels about scumo, how she presented her honest emotions about our disgusting PM, is not something she should have to censor...

Pentecostal scumo, is that his personal bill he is trying to shove down our throats?
Or is he hoping to win Muslim votes?

I work on elections, I love elections....depending where you work on the day, it can be either
uplifting or incredibly depressing.
Frankston area one year, was the worst experience, voters ....lots were under the influence of heavy drugs, and actually asked who to vote for!
But worse were the “party” reps having physical brawls.....

…gee!… Scomo is very cross with Putin for invading the Ukraine… he’s talking tough… after the Novak Djokovic debacle in Australia Putin must be shitting his pants… “what’s that?… Putin heard Scomo speaking tough and has decided to not invade the Ukraine and run back to Russia with his tail between his legs?”… gosh!… thank God for our glorious heroic Prime Minister eh?… cheers.

The level of propaganda in the media at the moment is worse than it was in the lead up to the Iraq war. It's truly terrifying.

Horrible shit going on and they can't report it properly, provide context or history. Russia is arsehole, don't get me wrong, but this is also a massive failure in US and NATO policy because it was well known this would be the inevitable outcome. Yet the fact people have been warning that for years is now "pro-Russian" information. Can't be discussed. Mentioning a civil war for the last 8 years can't be discussed, even if not excusing or justifying. Just trying to understand the conflict is not allowed. We all have to pretend that for no reason at all Putin invaded Ukraine because he's a mad man.

His invasion is wrong. I feel for the Ukrainians. My point is that this shouldn't be propagandised because it's a massive failure on all sides and the Ukrainians are the victims. We should all be looking at how and why this happened. Yet it is not allowed. Why not? If not, then we can't hope to ever prevent these bad things from happening again.

We should be self-reflecting on why we have no moral authority to condemn it. Yet most people don't understand why we have no moral authority. That comment of mine will make no sense.

We allow ourselves the standards to invade and bomb countries. But no. We all just lie and pretend this is unprecedented in recent times. It's gross. I think what disgusts me the most is that the propaganda is so strong most people will never pause to think, "Iraq???" We, Australians give us the right to do what Russia is doing in Ukraine and think we're entitled to do it.

People reading this will be programmed to think I am excusing what Russia is doing, which I am not. People will be going, "but it was different when we did it." It is not. We need self-reflection and need to be the better standard. I bet even people agreeing with me will still on some level think that our invasion of Iraq was different or somewhat justified and better than what Russia is doing. There needs to be reflection.

People also need to reflect on why we're being so heavily shown this conflict, versus the many others that have and are still going on in the world. How many people even know about the war in Yemen? Why are some victims more worthy than others?

I can only conclude they are pushing for a hot war with Russia. Or at least willing to risk one.

Scary times.

Last edited:
Back