Skip to main content

ART - works, exhibitions, galleries, etc

Just Sydney it seems @Alias ???

Melbourne Zoo has a beautiful ancient merry go round they have restored, also one at St Kilda Luna Park.

So pretty & gorgeous.

Our libraries in suburban Melbourne are doing some great free art stuff, exhibitons, talks, lessons.
Last year my local did the Boyd family retrospective, it was awesome.
Are they doing the same in NSW?

Opened today

daa1888622aa466fa79e97cc2f8fbcb6.ashx

53dd7e332d3942389ade7fb8e63285b3.ashx

Kylie on Stage
In an international first, Kylie on Stage is a major new exhibition celebrating magical moments from Kylie Minogue’s highly-successful concert tours.

Drawn from Kylie’s spectacular stage wardrobe held at Arts Centre Melbourne’s Australian Performing Arts Collection, the exhibition will feature costumes from tours dating back to 1989 as well as more recent tours such as Kylie Aphrodite Les Folies in 2011. Featured designers within the world-first exhibition include Dolce & Gabbana, John Galliano, Julien Macdonald, Karl Lagerfeld and Jean Paul Gaultier,as well as local designers including Peter Morrissey and Mark Burnett.

Kylie on Stage will also feature a selection of designs, working drawings, photographs and footage that explore the creative process behind the costumes and provide rare glimpses into the world backstage.

Touring and live performance has been such a big part of my life and my development as an artist, so I’m thrilled that Arts Centre Melbourne are staging this free national exhibition. I’m excited for fans to get up close and personal with my costumes and to get a glimpse behind the curtain to see some of the design process.” – Kylie Minogue.

Art Centre Melbourne,
has some amazing collections, free mostly
imu.php

imu.php

http://collections.artscentremelbourne.com.au/paminter/imu.php?request=browse&irn=1903

Just Sydney it seems @Alias ???

Melbourne Zoo has a beautiful ancient merry go round they have restored, also one at St Kilda Luna Park.

So pretty & gorgeous.

Our libraries in suburban Melbourne are doing some great free art stuff, exhibitons, talks, lessons.
Last year my local did the Boyd family retrospective, it was awesome.
Are they doing the same in NSW?

Yes we have a lot of things going on in the local libraries and councils as well. I got a beautiful Chinese brush painting at one library to celebrate the Year of the Monkey. There were a few artists there and you could ask them to paint for you. I asked them to paint something to bring me good health. I had some major good news regarding my health this year so I suppose it brought me luck!

I went to see some movies at the State Library yesterday for the annual Silent Film Festival.

http://www.ozsilentfilmfestival.com.au/

We also have Art and About going on in Sydney at the moment, which is an annual event of public art and exhibitions around the city.

http://www.artandabout.com.au/

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
Demolished Sydney Exhibition

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...emembering-sydneys-lost-buildings-in-pictures

http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/exhibitions/demolished-sydney

I'm going to see this one soon. I was a teenager when the Regent Theatre was demolished. It was heritage listed and there was a protest to try and save it. I remember being very upset about it. It was a gorgeous old building. There's a soulless shopping center there now that looks like a concrete box. So sad. Anyway it should be interesting. I had no idea there used to be tram station where the Opera House is now.

Tonight, the movie about TURNER

Movie: Mr Turner

SBS, 8:40pm, Fri, 20 Jan 2017, 165 minutes

Mr Turner explores the last quarter century of the great, if eccentric, British painter J.M.W. Turner. Profoundly affected by the death of his father, loved by a housekeeper he takes for granted and exploits, he forms a close relationship with a seaside landlady with whom he eventually lives incognito in Chelsea. Throughout this, he travels, paints, stays with the country aristocracy, visits brothels, is a popular if anarchic member of the Royal Academy of Arts, has himself strapped to the mast of a ship so that he can paint a snowstorm, and is both celebrated and reviled by the public and by royalty.

Directed by Mike Leigh. Timothy Spall, Paul Jesson, Dorothy Atkinson

2014, United Kingdom, English, Drama, Biography, Movie, Historical

This is on until March, at Fed Square, free

Pip & Pop, Perth
Tanya Schultz (artist)
On days like this there are alwaysrainbows 2016 (detail)
Collection of the artist
© Pip & Pop

Pip & Pop – the pseudonym of Perth-based artist Tanya Schultz – creates brightly coloured installations that celebrate the traditions of storytelling. Works by Pip & Pop encourage viewers to revisit the unbridled wonder associated with childhood through the use of a dizzying array of materials. The artist combines glitter, stickers, washi tape and powdered sugar to create magical worlds inspired by fictional lands made of food, such as The Land of Cockaigne (a land of plenty in medieval myth). This new commission by Pip & Pop for the NGV, supported by MECCA Brands, is an immersive, mythical landscape involving kaleidoscopic wallpaper and handcrafted sculptures.

NGV currently has Viktor & Ralph, and Hockney exhibitions on

Yayoi Kusama with recent works in Tokyo, 2016.

As a child, the Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama was fascinated by white stones that dotted the riverbed behind her family’s house. Later, as an artist, she envisioned a world obliterated by dots, channeling her hallucinations into drawings of flowers and abstract, swirling patterns. For the new roving exhibit “Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors,” opening February 23 in Washington D.C., Kusama took her signature dot motif to the furthest extent possible — infinity.
Yayoi-Kusama-01.nocrop.w1800.h1330.2x.jpg

Yayoi-Kusama-03.nocrop.w1800.h1330.2x.jpg

Yayoi-Kusama-11.nocrop.w1800.h1330.2x.jpg

Yayoi-Kusama-10.nocrop.w1800.h1330.2x.jpg

Yayoi-Kusama-09.nocrop.w1800.h1330.2x.jpg

Love it! If I had one on my desk, I'd be constantly twisting it around.

16473533_581638205374885_285830757694429679_n.jpg

"Pierre-Auguste Renoir was one of the most influential painters in art history, but few people know that he suffered from debilitating rheumatoid arthritis. Despite his arthritis, he was able to maintain an incredible level of precision and efficiency with his painting. More importantly, he remained positive and did not let his condition affect his passion for painting or take away from the beauty that he saw in the world around him."

Poor man, no meds back then, no pain killers, no stopping the hands deteriorating...

Jeff Donaldson
He was 6ft 6in, loved jazz music and championed African American rights. Gone but not forgotten, the artist Jeff Donaldson is being honored with his first New York solo exhibition at the Kravets Wehby Gallery which opened on 23 February, over a decade after his death.

Donaldson’s work stems from the Black Arts Movement, which was founded in New York City after Malcolm X was assassinated in 1965. Donaldson spearheaded a visual art style called AfriCobra, which stood for African Commune of Bad Relevant Artists, in 1968. The group had more than 100 artists and their core principles were to commit to social responsibility, help artists in their local communities and take pride in their black identity.

Donaldson is well-known as one of the painters of Chicago’s Wall of Respect in 1967, which had a series of African American heroes in a public mural that was seen as a contribution to the community.

“This is a guy who had incredibly strong beliefs,” said Wehby. “He stood up for what he believed in, he was very anti-establishment and an active participant in the civil rights movement. He made art for the people who were protesting for equal rights.”

Wives of Shango
4605.jpg

Day in Court

4567.jpg

I found tickets to Patti's Writer's Festival appearance online and her Bluesfest show at the State Theatre performing Horses in it's entirety. Don't even ask how much it cost me! I'm going halves with someone though so it's OK. These are her last ever shows in Australia. I couldn't miss it. I've seen her twice before and she's just amazing live. I'm so excited!

Ooooo winter art in Melbourne, some fantastic stuff coming up

Van Gogh in April

Monet's Garden in May

Creative Vision

Creative people really do see the world differently than everyone else.

When people are extra open to new experiences — a trait that’s also been linked to insight and imagination — things can look a little different. “Their brains are able to flexibly engage with less conventional solutions,” lead author Anna Antinori, a psychologist at the University of Melbourne in Australia, told New Scientist. “We believe this is the first empirical evidence that they have different visual experiences to the average individual.” (As Niko Tiliopoulos, a psychologist at the University of Sydney who was not affiliated with the study, pointed out to New Scientist, this may also contribute to the idea of artist-as-eccentric: Highly open, creative people “may ‘see’ spirits, or misinterpret interpersonal or other signals.”) It makes sense, when you think about it: The more open you are, the more possibilities you see in everything around you.

If you’re the kind of person who relishes adventure, you may literally see the world differently. People who are open to new experiences can take in more visual information than other people and combine it in unique ways. This may explain why they tend to be particularly creative.

Openness to experience is one of the “big five” traits often used to describe personality. It is characterised by curiosity, creativity and an interest in exploring new things. Open people tend to do well at tasks that test our ability to come up with creative ideas, such as imagining new uses for everyday objects like bricks, mugs or table tennis balls.

There’s evidence that people with a greater degree of openness also have better visual awareness. For example, when focusing on letters moving on a screen, they are more likely to notice a grey square appearing elsewhere on the display.
Now Anna Antinori at the University of Melbourne in Australia and her team are showing that people who score more highly when it comes to the openness trait “see” more possibilities. “They seem to have a more flexible gate for the visual information that breaks through into their consciousness,” Antinori says.

“At those levels of openness, people may actually see reality differently,” he says. “For example, they may ‘see’ spirits, or misinterpret interpersonal or other signals.”

According to Antinori, there are similarities between high levels of openness and the experience of taking magic mushrooms. Previous work by her team has found that psilocybin – a hallucinogenic compound in magic mushrooms – increases a person’s openness scores in a personality questionnaire, and their experience of mixed percept in binocular rivalry tests.

The team has also found that some forms of meditation can increase mixed image perception in binocular rivalry tests.

Antinori next wants to see if similar neural processes are involved in mixed perception, creative thinking and the shifts in visual perception caused by psilocybin and meditation. “It seems that openness alters the filter of consciousness, and we’d like to know how,” she says.
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ically-see-and-process-the-world-differently/

Hmm, may explain why I find some people closed and their vision limited and odd, and why I see around corners - and those that don't annoy the crap out of me.

I read once that most of the Impressionists had myopia, and that is how you do see with myopia, the world looks nicer and smudged.

Back