Skip to main content

ART - works, exhibitions, galleries, etc

kxk

SAPIOSEXUAL
Wow, we don't have an art thread. Share your favourite works, artists, and coming exhibitions etc.

DEGAS

NGV INTERNATIONAL
GROUND LEVEL, TEMPORARY EXHIBITIONS
24 JUN 16 – 18 SEP 16

OPEN 10AM–5PM DAILY
SAT & SUN 9AM–5PM

Blue people look rather nice

Sea of Hull by Spencer Tunick – in pictures
Thousands of people gathered at dawn in Hull to be painted blue and photographed for installation celebrating city’s relationship with the sea

3000.jpg

2783.jpg

2965.jpg

3337.jpg

3000.jpg

2933.jpg

I went to see this famous painting on a recent trip to Melbourne. I was neither here nor there about it until I stood in front of it. It's a stunning painting in real life. Beautiful simplicity. It was an interesting exhibition which included the sketch that appears on the wall behind her, and explained why this painting was so important during the Depression years and became such an American icon.

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/exhibition/whistlers-mother/

512px-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

Last edited:
845edb93cbaf1ce615501009595fe463.jpg

6ac43b95ae7b3c058b0830a425218c92.jpg

Kohei Nawa

This was at the NGV a couple of years ago, it was very arresting

It was there again recently. It took me a while to realise it was a taxidermied deer underneath.

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
This is both beautiful and disturbing

RETURN OF THE SOUL

nakbedin3.jpg

Jane Frere – Return of the Soul
February 4, 2009 by carrie

Last summer during the festival I went to see an exhibition at Patriothall called Return of the Souldesigned and organised by Jane Frere. It was about the ethnic cleansing of Palestine which occurred in 1948, atocities committed by the new Israeli army and permitted by the British Army which should have been prevented by the British Army occupying the land under the terms of the British Mandate. 750,000 palestinians were driven from their homes, a number which has now swelled to over 4 million living in a state of limbo in refugee camps with nowhere to go. Jane Frere spent time living as an artist in residence with Palestinian Refugees and this exhibition was made during that time. The figures were made by the women she worked with and capture a people hanging in limbo, on the move with no where to go.

Unfortunately real life gets in the way of getting to exhibits at the moment.It is great that gallery, museum and library sites are so fantastic, all around the world.
Wanted to see Whistler, it is sort of the USA's mona lisa

Last chance -

DEGAS

NGV INTERNATIONAL
GROUND LEVEL, TEMPORARY EXHIBITIONS
24 JUN 16 – 18 SEP 16

OPEN 10AM–5PM DAILY
SAT & SUN 9AM–5PM

Hopefully I can slip in before it ends, Degas is a favourite, I used to spend hours sketching his stuff and dancers, and my own legs until I got them.
I have missed too many of the great exhibitions due to being torn between Vic & WA

Me time now, Bulgari jewels coming next:)

And coming soon

large

The spectacular and avant-garde creations of international luxury fashion house Viktor&Rolf, is showcased in a world-first exhibition developed in collaboration with the National Gallery of Victoria. Viktor&Rolf: Fashion Artists explores Viktor&Rolf’s notion of wearable art.

As self-confessed outsiders of the fashion world, since forming their artistic partnership in 1992, fashion artists Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren have gained critical acclaim for their rebellious approach to design, technical virtuosity, and deep knowledge of fashion history. Throughout their illustrious twenty-year career, Viktor&Rolf have carved a contradictory identity that pushes the boundaries between art and fashion, often contrasting romance and violence, exuberance and control, classicism and rebellion.

Last edited:
Coming soon to Melbourne

A FUCK-OFF HUGE BANKSY EXHIBITION IS COMING TO AUSTRALIA FOR THE FIRST TIME
images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F09%2F11%2Fballoon.jpg

A fuck-off huge exhibition featuring the work of mysterious street artist Banksy will be happening next month, stretching until the beginning of 2017.
The exhibition is curated by Steve Lazarides, Banksy's former manager, who says,
"This exhibition is a one off – never will you be able to see this amount of work in one place again.
Once the show is over, the artwork will dissipate back to the other 40 collectors around the world, and the likelihood of them being brought together again in the future is very slim."

And Aussie street artists will feature...

There'll be over 80 works on display, and local street artists (including Adnate, Kaffeine andSirum) will display their own pieces outside the exhibition.
This will all go down at The Paddock in Melbourne; we've been told 'in the dodgy car park, behind the good car park, behind Federation Square'.
During the whole 3+ months of the show, the area will be transformed into hub of art, food & dranks for you to enjoy during the summer months. It'll have ever-changing food trucks, craft beer, cocktails, and the outdoor area 'The Railyard' will play host to live DJ's on Friday & Saturday seshes for ya.
We might never find out who Banksy is, but food trucks, beer and art will do us tbh, especially now that the weather's getting a bit warmer. NICE.
'The Art of Banksy' will start on Friday October 7th, and run until January 22nd 2017.
Tickets are available now; you can get them here: premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=BANKSY16

Back