Skip to main content

2014 Today I ......

Today I was minding my own business loitering around a station waiting for my train home as you do when out of no-where I get poked in the eye socket.

Bloody &*#@ magpies, had the stupid bird swooped me at a slightly different angle I could've lost my right eye. :rage: :thumbsdown:

Today I was minding my own business loitering around a station waiting for my train home as you do when out of no-where I get poked in the eye socket.

Bloody &*#@ magpies, had the stupid bird swooped me at a slightly different angle I could've lost my right eye. :rage: :thumbsdown:
I remember at my primary school we had to draw eyes on our hats to stop them from swooping us int he playground.

I remember at my primary school we had to draw eyes on our hats to stop them from swooping us int he playground.
It's been a few years since I was swooped by a bird, I think I was taking a leisurely walk down at a local park last time it happened. But this is first time that I've been attacked head on, all the others I have been graced on the back of my head. *smh*

Hahahah!!! It seemed to work for us.

They still aren't my least favourite bird. That title belongs to the Masked Lapwing. Screechy and stupid birds. They nest in the worst places like the middle of a playground or even on a road.

plover-DSC08779.jpg

I know I know we are taking their land etc. but they still annoy me! Haha

Hahahah!!! It seemed to work for us.

They still aren't my least favourite bird. That title belongs to the Masked Lapwing. Screechy and stupid birds. They nest in the worst places like the middle of a playground or even on a road.

plover-DSC08779.jpg

I know I know we are taking their land etc. but they still annoy me! Haha

Well la-de-da, Mr Fancypants_Dude. In my neck of the woods we call them Plovers. :p

And yes – they are one annoying bird. Laying their eggs in the most exposed, ridiculous places all willy-nilly, then spending their time stressing and screeching to keep their babies safe. Lol. I feel for them, but geez - pick a different spot!

OMG!! How awful. God I hate those things. Start carrying a tennis racket, Con!!

^^ Well at leas they don't attack people. I'd take them over friggen' magpies that's for damn sure.

Oh they do attack. Swoop like crazy after giving you the warning screech - I've felt their 'swish' near my face /back many times. Poisonous spurs too, but luckily none have connected (yet).

Hope your eye is OK! :) Sounds like a very near miss.

Oh they do attack. Swoop like crazy after giving you the warning screech - I've felt their 'swish' near my face /back many times. Poisonous spurs too, but luckily none have connected (yet).

Hope your eye is OK! :) Sounds like a very near miss.
Yes I'm okay just momentarily stunned (did not see it coming at all) and a bit sore around the upper side of the eye socket. Luckily it didn't connect with my eyeball and cause some real damage.

In our neck of the woods we have magpies currently swooping BUT the bird that even the magpies are terrified of is the extremely aggressive and nasty Willy Wagtails. Those little sons of beeeaches are NASTY when they are nesting. They swoop down and flap around your head and peck and peck and chase until you are far enough away from their nest. Nasty birds.

Yes I'm okay just momentarily stunned (did not see it coming at all) and a bit sore around the upper side of the eye socket. Luckily it didn't connect with my eyeball and cause some real damage.

Very lucky! You may have to invest in a hat - I hear Ed's got some good fashion tips going these days. ;)

We have nesting maggies here in a tree adjacent to my deck. The deck is about 5 metres up from the road so the maggies are used to myself , locals and the dogs etc. Anyone else is fair game for them. I put a large hand painted sign on my railing (Swooping magpies). The tourists stop to take a photo of the sign and get swooped.
People are so stoopid sometimes.

They DO attack people but, they swoop like crazy when they have babies. I haven't seen it, but I have been told they have barbs under their wings.
Haha glad someone clarified they're plovers, I wasn't sure. I remember they used to fly around the oval at my primary school and swoop kids-evil birds!

Scary. :eek:

I've never had them go for the eyes before, only the top of my head.

I am currently Storyboarding at 3:21am. I have to be up in 2 hours, tomorrow is going to be fun!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back