Skip to main content

In The News

You mean the boy who committed suicide? He denied,but he became, unfortunately, unable to overcome what happened to him.
He was never the same boy, started using heroin soon after,he died of a heroin overdose.

The survivor, is a Uni Prof, he was fortunately able to compartmentalise/isolate his violation and move on, albeit damaged but clearly very clever and stoic.
He, being an eye witness, could have given evidence about the other boy.

And oh wow, how damning is Pell's police interview.......he has had decades to prepare for this, and he comes across as a very unconvincing BIG FAT LIAR.
Just that interview, would have convinced me to charge his lying arse.

I was brought up very Catholic, it disgusts me how the church has failed everyone.
Very glad my Mum died before seeing this, she loved being Catholic.

I must add, as a female, we had very little to do with priests or brothers. Just Sunday mass, and a visit once a week at school.

Half of them we found to be dickheads......the nuns were more Catholic
I have met, a handful of very inspiring humble holy men.......mostly Jesuits and Franciscans.

Evil bastards

They ruined my late younger brother's life
Yes, I do mean that boy. I know the living boy (man) testified on his behalf so to speak. I just would have thought it’s unusual to be convicted of a crime against someone who denied the crime and who is no longer alive. I didn’t see interview. I’ll have a lookout for it.

Civilization Is Accelerating Extinction and Altering the Natural World at a Pace ‘Unprecedented in Human History’

Brad Plumer - 8 hrs ago

Humans are transforming Earth’s natural landscapes so dramatically that as many as one million plant and animal species are now at risk of extinction, posing a dire threat to ecosystems that people all over the world depend on for their survival, a sweeping new United Nations assessment has concluded.
AAAYoGq.jpg
© Lalo de Almeida for The New York TimesCattle grazing on a tract of illegally cleared Amazon forest in Pará state, Brazil. In most major land habitats, the average abundance of native plant and animal life has fallen by 20 percent or more, mainly over the past century.

The 1,500-page report, compiled by hundreds of international experts and based on thousands of scientific studies, is the most exhaustive look yet at the decline in biodiversity across the globe and the dangers that creates for human civilization. A summary of its findings, which was approved by representatives from the United States and 131 other countries, was released Monday in Paris. The full report is set to be published this year.

Its conclusions are stark. In most major land habitats, from the savannas of Africa to the rain forests of South America, the average abundance of native plant and animal life has fallen by 20 percent or more, mainly over the past century. With the human population passing 7 billion, activities like farming, logging, poaching, fishing and mining are altering the natural world at a rate “unprecedented in human history.”
New York Times - Full story here.

Australia has one of the highest rates of land clearing in developed countries, such that koalas are vulnerable to extinction in NSW & QLD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Civilization Is Accelerating Extinction and Altering the Natural World at a Pace ‘Unprecedented in Human History’

Brad Plumer - 8 hrs ago

Humans are transforming Earth’s natural landscapes so dramatically that as many as one million plant and animal species are now at risk of extinction, posing a dire threat to ecosystems that people all over the world depend on for their survival, a sweeping new United Nations assessment has concluded.
View attachment 54644
© Lalo de Almeida for The New York TimesCattle grazing on a tract of illegally cleared Amazon forest in Pará state, Brazil. In most major land habitats, the average abundance of native plant and animal life has fallen by 20 percent or more, mainly over the past century.

The 1,500-page report, compiled by hundreds of international experts and based on thousands of scientific studies, is the most exhaustive look yet at the decline in biodiversity across the globe and the dangers that creates for human civilization. A summary of its findings, which was approved by representatives from the United States and 131 other countries, was released Monday in Paris. The full report is set to be published this year.

Its conclusions are stark. In most major land habitats, from the savannas of Africa to the rain forests of South America, the average abundance of native plant and animal life has fallen by 20 percent or more, mainly over the past century. With the human population passing 7 billion, activities like farming, logging, poaching, fishing and mining are altering the natural world at a rate “unprecedented in human history.”
New York Times - Full story here.

Australia has one of the highest rates of land clearing in developed countries, such that koalas are vulnerable to extinction in NSW & QLD.
That is seriously disturbing.

Cardinal George Pell loses appeal on child sexual assault conviction – live
Appeal dismissed by a majority of two to one for the 78-year-old who will remain in prison until October 2022. He was sentenced in March for sexually assaulting two choirboys in 1996...full story

View Webcast of the verdict here
...2 to 1....

... six piddling years in prison - up for parole after three.....not unlike Australian environmental laws and enforcement....weak.

It isn't much, but his life as he knows it is effectively over. The Vatican seems to be quiet too.

Trafalgar Square is virtually deserted when it is normally teeming with people.

Tigerlily has gone into administration - This was a favorite clothing brand of at least one channel 9 era BB housmate.

Australian news
Astrophysicist Daniel Reardon was playing around with powerful neodymium magnets while trying to make a coronavirus safety device and managed to get them stuck in his nose.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device
Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when you touch your face. Full story 😂😂...

“I accidentally invented a necklace that buzzes continuously unless you move your hand close to your face,” he said. “After scrapping that idea, I was still a bit bored, playing with the magnets. It’s the same logic as clipping pegs to your ears – I clipped them to my earlobes and then clipped them to my nostril and things went downhill pretty quickly when I clipped the magnets to my other nostril.”

Reardon said he placed two magnets inside his nostrils, and two on the outside. When he removed the magnets from the outside of his nose, the two inside stuck together. Unfortunately, the researcher then attempted to use his remaining magnets to remove them.

“At this point, my partner who works at a hospital was laughing at me,” he said. “I was trying to pull them out but there is a ridge at the bottom of my nose you can’t get past.

“After struggling for 20 minutes, I decided to Google the problem and found an article about an 11-year-old boy who had the same problem. The solution in that was more magnets. To put on the outside to offset the pull from the ones inside.

“As I was pulling downwards to try and remove the magnets, they clipped on to each other and I lost my grip. And those two magnets ended up in my left nostril while the other one was in my right. At this point I ran out of magnets.”

Before attending the hospital, Reardon attempted to use pliers to pull them out, but they became magnetised by the magnets inside his nose.

“Every time I brought the pliers close to my nose, my entire nose would shift towards the pliers and then the pliers would stick to the magnet,” he said. “It was a little bit painful at this point.

“My partner took me to the hospital that she works in because she wanted all her colleagues to laugh at me. The doctors thought it was quite funny, making comments like ‘This is an injury due to self-isolation and boredom.’”

At the hospital, a team of two doctors applied an anaesthetic spray and manually removed the magnets from Reardon’s nose.
Hospital record: Daniel Reardon’s discharge report after presenting at hospital with magnets stuck up his nose.
Hospital record: Daniel Reardon’s discharge report after presenting at hospital with magnets stuck up his nose. Photograph: Supplied by Daniel Reardon

“When they got the three out from the left nostril, the last one fell down my throat,” he said. “That could have been a bit of a problem if I swallowed or breathed it in, but I was thankfully able to lean forward and cough it out … Needless to say I am not going to play with the magnets any more.”

The astrophysicist told Guardian Australia he had ruled out further experiments with the magnets and face-touching, and would find other ways to pass the time while at home

🤣 🤣 🤣

What exactly is the point of a jury if they are not free to make their own decision. If a case makes it all the way to trial, through the trial process without being thrown out, and put to a jury for a verdict surely that indicates that a jury decision is legitimate.

Back